Newbie Questions - please help

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Glenn Watkins, Dec 29, 2004.

  1. My rig now:

    P4 1.8GHz
    256MB RDRAM
    XP Pro w/sp2
    60GB IBM
    Sony 8X Dual Burner (no DL)
    Radeon 7500 w/dvi out
    Dell 1900FP
    Verizon DSL 3.0MB DL

    OK, here goes:

    1. When downloading video files (movies) from Kazaa, etc. - what should I
    look for ?
    ..avi, .mpeg, divx, dvd rip, etc ????? (and why).

    2. I notice some movies are as small as 150MB or as large as 800MB when
    downloaded.
    I want the best quality playback (audio and video) since I have a fast
    connection. How can I
    tell which is the best verison of a movie to download ?

    3. I downloaded Pretty Woman the other night (750MB) and used Easy Splitter
    to split the AVI
    file in 2 parts. I then burned part one to a DVD disk using Nero 6.3 Ultra
    with DVD Video Plug-In.
    It took almost 3 freakin' hours ! Why ?

    Is there another way to decode that is faster or should I be downloading
    another version of movies ?

    I'm confused.

    4. The next day I attempted to burn Bad Boys 2 (avi split - part 1) to a DVD
    and Nero froze (sorta)
    during the encoding process. It continued to count the time (almost 3 hours)
    but it was not continuing with
    the encoding process. I had to press the power button to shut down and
    reboot. Is this common ?
    Should I not be multi-tasking during this encoding process ? (I was).

    5. Is there a way to compress an AVI file to fit on one disk or would there
    be too great a loss of quality ?

    6. Can and do people upload exact images of DVD's with nothing removed ? How
    do I find and recognize them ?

    Sorry if this was long but I want to know what I'm doing when working with
    movies.

    Thanks in advance

    ps - one last question. I'll be building a new rig next month (P4, 3.2GHz,
    1GB, Raptor,). Will this produce faster decoding times ? (by much)?
    Glenn Watkins, Dec 29, 2004

  2. Glenn Watkins

    kaydigi Guest

    > 3. I downloaded Pretty Woman

    WOW
    kaydigi, Dec 29, 2004

  3. Glenn Watkins

    Justin Guest

    Glenn Watkins wrote on [Wed, 29 Dec 2004 15:57:50 GMT]:
    > 1. When downloading video files (movies) from Kazaa, etc. - what should I
    > look for ?

    You should look for legal DVDs. Sites like amazon.com sell them.
    Justin, Dec 29, 2004
  4. Glenn Watkins

    Biz Guest

    You apparently have money to buying the latest and greatest pcs. Either go
    buy the movies, or rent them if you dont want to own them.

    I hope you run across one of the many virus laden files I have put up
    disguised as a movie download..

    Biz, Dec 29, 2004