    take a (shudder) film camera also on my next trip ... :) ...

    steve

    , Dec 3, 2004

  2. Mark² Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > thanks to all who gave useful answers :) ... as there are a limited
    > number of choices i had assumed that someone has already tried
    > most/all of them and i am a great believer in not re-inventing the
    > wheel and indeed have been known to even open textbooks to see the
    > answers my colleagues have come up with :) ...
    >
    > as i plan to import only the images i like (from the memory cards) and
    > then spend a lot of time in post processing in photoshop is there any
    > advantage to shooting both jpg and raw simultaneously? it just seems
    > to take up more space and i only create jpg's after i've processed
    > images - i then shrink them and put them in jpg's to send out to
    > friends/colleagues ...
    >
    > thanks again ...this looks like a fun camera ... though i'll probably
    > take a (shudder) film camera also on my next trip ... :) ...

    Extract all jpegs from RAW for quick review on your computer. If you're
    worried about space...don't be. You can always toss them later.
    You sound like you're going to only copy "only the images you like" from the
    memory card... This is a bad move, in my opinion. You really should dump
    them all onto your drive so that you can review them in your own good time,
    and at full resolution.
    From this review, you will be able to select the RAW files which are worth
    your extra attention. You don't want to have to convert ALL RAW files just
    so that you can review them.

    And... Don't be too quick to discard RAW shots which appear to have blown
    out highlights or darks. -You can rescue a couple stops of over/under
    exposure in PS RAW, or C1 RAW conversion.

    Mark², Dec 3, 2004

  3. Guest

    thanks for the excellent advice ... i will dump all the raw files both
    on the travel computer and onto a dvd ...and then review them at home
    .... and of course i can get a jpg from a raw but apparently if one
    asks the 20d to save a raw+high quality jpg, one gets fewer images per
    card ... so my plan was to save just the raw files and create jpg's
    later if i had to send them to someone ....

    i looked into c1raw and in doing a comparison of the mac and the
    windows (and there is no support for the 20d yet in windows) i was
    struck by the discrepancies by what their software will do for the mac
    as vs. windows ...so i started to read their own users forum comments
    ....and found a lot of unhappy users who had also noted both points :)
    .... as the $100 version comes with but one upgrade i opted to wait
    until they have both 20d support (the camera i'm using ) and they've
    ported more of the mac stuff to windows ...

    i still haven't gotten a clear answer as to whether the present
    "unsupported" photoshop canon raw importer is better (or worse!) than
    the latest software that can be downloaded from canon's site ...

    thanks again ...

    steve

    On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 00:29:59 -0800, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even
    number here)@cox..net> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> thanks to all who gave useful answers :) ... as there are a limited
    >> number of choices i had assumed that someone has already tried
    >> most/all of them and i am a great believer in not re-inventing the
    >> wheel and indeed have been known to even open textbooks to see the
    >> answers my colleagues have come up with :) ...
    >>
    >> as i plan to import only the images i like (from the memory cards) and
    >> then spend a lot of time in post processing in photoshop is there any
    >> advantage to shooting both jpg and raw simultaneously? it just seems
    >> to take up more space and i only create jpg's after i've processed
    >> images - i then shrink them and put them in jpg's to send out to
    >> friends/colleagues ...
    >>
    >> thanks again ...this looks like a fun camera ... though i'll probably
    >> take a (shudder) film camera also on my next trip ... :) ...

    >Extract all jpegs from RAW for quick review on your computer. If you're
    >worried about space...don't be. You can always toss them later.
    >You sound like you're going to only copy "only the images you like" from the
    >memory card... This is a bad move, in my opinion. You really should dump
    >them all onto your drive so that you can review them in your own good time,
    >and at full resolution.
    >From this review, you will be able to select the RAW files which are worth
    >your extra attention. You don't want to have to convert ALL RAW files just
    >so that you can review them.
    >
    >And... Don't be too quick to discard RAW shots which appear to have blown
    >out highlights or darks. -You can rescue a couple stops of over/under
    >exposure in PS RAW, or C1 RAW conversion.

    , Dec 4, 2004
  4. Mark² Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > thanks for the excellent advice ... i will dump all the raw files both
    > on the travel computer and onto a dvd ...and then review them at home
    > ... and of course i can get a jpg from a raw but apparently if one
    > asks the 20d to save a raw+high quality jpg, one gets fewer images per
    > card ... so my plan was to save just the raw files and create jpg's
    > later if i had to send them to someone ....

    If you're woried about space, then I'd suggest setting RAW files to save the
    smallest jpeg. -It gives you a choice of how large a jpeg to embed within
    the RAW file. It really is handy and FAST to extract these jpegs from the
    RAW file. It will take you maybe 30 seconds to extract all the jpegs from a
    card full of RAW files, vs. 20 minutes or more (perhaps MUCH more if you've
    got a mid-speed computer) to generate jpegs from the RAW file itself (not
    the same as extracting an embedded jpeg). It's up to you, of course, but
    for me, it's just so handy to be able to review jpegs immediately to give
    up.

    If you're really that cramped for card space, you can pick up a 1GB CF card
    at Costco.com for a mere $67.49 right now...or a 2GB(!) CF card for only
    $129.99(!!!).
    For that price, you can shoot all day long on the cheap.

    > i looked into c1raw and in doing a comparison of the mac and the
    > windows (and there is no support for the 20d yet in windows) i was
    > struck by the discrepancies by what their software will do for the mac
    > as vs. windows ...so i started to read their own users forum comments
    > ...and found a lot of unhappy users who had also noted both points :)
    > ... as the $100 version comes with but one upgrade i opted to wait
    > until they have both 20d support (the camera i'm using ) and they've
    > ported more of the mac stuff to windows ...

    C1 LE (the less expensive version) is still my first choice over Photoshop
    CS' conversion plug-in (10D, but should yeild same result with 20D interms
    of accuracy adn workflow)...and MILES ahead of Canon's software.

    Mark², Dec 4, 2004
  5. Mark² Guest

    > <> wrote in message
    > > thanks for the excellent advice ... i will dump all the raw files both
    > > on the travel computer and onto a dvd ...and then review them at home
    > > ... and of course i can get a jpg from a raw but apparently if one
    > > asks the 20d to save a raw+high quality jpg, one gets fewer images per
    > > card ... so my plan was to save just the raw files and create jpg's
    > > later if i had to send them to someone ....

    > If you're woried about space, then I'd suggest setting RAW files to save

    the
    > smallest jpeg. -It gives you a choice of how large a jpeg to embed within
    > the RAW file. It really is handy and FAST to extract these jpegs from the
    > RAW file. It will take you maybe 30 seconds to extract all the jpegs from

    > card full of RAW files, vs. 20 minutes or more (perhaps MUCH more if

    you've
    > got a mid-speed computer) to generate jpegs from the RAW file itself (not
    > the same as extracting an embedded jpeg). It's up to you, of course, but
    > for me, it's just so handy to be able to review jpegs immediately to give
    > up.

    BTW...Just in case you weren't aware...
    The size of the jpeg you choose to save within the RAW file has no effect
    whatsoever on the quality of the RAW data. The RAW file always has the full
    data captured by the sensor.
    -You likely know this, but just in case you didn't, it's worth
    mentioning...since you have only referred to the "highest quality jpeg"
    within the RAW file.

    Mark², Dec 4, 2004
  6. Guest

    thanks for the idea to use the small jpg -i'll instruct the 20d toute
    suite :) ... i have 3 80x 1 gig cards ....but even then that's only
    120 pix or so per card ... i have heard that there is no functional
    difference between the 40x and 80x but the 12x or so are too slow ...

    i'll download the trial c1raw later this month when they get up to
    speed on the 20d ... i looked at the pro version and it didn't seem
    something i need right now ... but the difference between the windows
    and mac versions was interesting :) ... and clearly bothersome to
    some ....

    .... steve

    On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 00:59:21 -0800, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even
    number here)@cox..net> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> thanks for the excellent advice ... i will dump all the raw files both
    >> on the travel computer and onto a dvd ...and then review them at home
    >> ... and of course i can get a jpg from a raw but apparently if one
    >> asks the 20d to save a raw+high quality jpg, one gets fewer images per
    >> card ... so my plan was to save just the raw files and create jpg's
    >> later if i had to send them to someone ....

    >If you're woried about space, then I'd suggest setting RAW files to save the
    >smallest jpeg. -It gives you a choice of how large a jpeg to embed within
    >the RAW file. It really is handy and FAST to extract these jpegs from the
    >RAW file. It will take you maybe 30 seconds to extract all the jpegs from a
    >card full of RAW files, vs. 20 minutes or more (perhaps MUCH more if you've
    >got a mid-speed computer) to generate jpegs from the RAW file itself (not
    >the same as extracting an embedded jpeg). It's up to you, of course, but
    >for me, it's just so handy to be able to review jpegs immediately to give
    >up.
    >
    >If you're really that cramped for card space, you can pick up a 1GB CF card
    >at Costco.com for a mere $67.49 right now...or a 2GB(!) CF card for only
    >$129.99(!!!).
    >For that price, you can shoot all day long on the cheap.
    >
    >> i looked into c1raw and in doing a comparison of the mac and the
    >> windows (and there is no support for the 20d yet in windows) i was
    >> struck by the discrepancies by what their software will do for the mac
    >> as vs. windows ...so i started to read their own users forum comments
    >> ...and found a lot of unhappy users who had also noted both points :)
    >> ... as the $100 version comes with but one upgrade i opted to wait
    >> until they have both 20d support (the camera i'm using ) and they've
    >> ported more of the mac stuff to windows ...

    >C1 LE (the less expensive version) is still my first choice over Photoshop
    >CS' conversion plug-in (10D, but should yeild same result with 20D interms
    >of accuracy adn workflow)...and MILES ahead of Canon's software.

    , Dec 5, 2004