Newbie questions: echo and volume

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Tom Cumming, Feb 25, 2007.

  1. Tom Cumming

    Tom Cumming Guest

    I have recently started trying out Sipgate, with a view to eventually
    getting using a cable broadband connection and getting rid of my landline,
    as it is not really used enough to justify the line rental. However, I
    cannot just use a mobile as I need to have a local phone number for
    incoming calls.

    I have been trying out Sipgate, initially using Ekiga softphone (under
    Linux) and a Doro 2121PC USB handset (very cheap!), and I have so far been
    pretty impressed. However, I have found that whoever I call finds my voice
    too quiet (I always have to shout), and with a slight delay and echo
    effect. I have made sure the microphone gain control is at the maximum.
    If I call my own landline, I can hear the echo about 2-3 seconds after my
    voice is heard the first time.

    Is this in the nature of VoIP, or is this something I can do something
    about? Ultimately if I chose to get rid of the landline, I will get a
    proper VoIP router rather than using a softphone, as I don't want to miss
    calls for my computer not being turned on, so if it's to do with the
    computer it doesn't really matter.

    Thanks in advance for any input.

    Tom
    Tom Cumming, Feb 25, 2007

  2. Tom Cumming

    RH Guest

    "Tom Cumming" <> wrote in message
    >I have recently started trying out Sipgate, with a view to eventually
    > getting using a cable broadband connection and getting rid of my landline,
    > as it is not really used enough to justify the line rental. However, I
    > cannot just use a mobile as I need to have a local phone number for
    > incoming calls.
    >
    > I have been trying out Sipgate, initially using Ekiga softphone (under
    > Linux) and a Doro 2121PC USB handset (very cheap!), and I have so far been
    > pretty impressed. However, I have found that whoever I call finds my voice
    > too quiet (I always have to shout), and with a slight delay and echo
    > effect. I have made sure the microphone gain control is at the maximum.
    > If I call my own landline, I can hear the echo about 2-3 seconds after my
    > voice is heard the first time.
    >
    > Is this in the nature of VoIP, or is this something I can do something
    > about? Ultimately if I chose to get rid of the landline, I will get a
    > proper VoIP router rather than using a softphone, as I don't want to miss
    > calls for my computer not being turned on, so if it's to do with the
    > computer it doesn't really matter.

    It can depend on many things I have found the hardware/software being used,
    the provider being used and
    the destination country being called.

    I use a cisco phone with internetcalls.com and voipfone and the sound
    quality is great, but I have used a softfone on a laptop
    and had issues in the past.

    As I mentioned where you are calling can also effect quality, as VOIP
    providers use VOIP connections to terminate calls
    in destination country. If the network infrastructure in the destination
    country is lousy, often the call quality can be as well. Calling South
    Africa
    for example
    RH, Feb 25, 2007

  3. Tom Cumming

    Tom Cumming Guest

    On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 17:57:12 +0000, RH wrote:

    > It can depend on many things I have found the hardware/software being used,
    > the provider being used and
    > the destination country being called.
    >
    > I use a cisco phone with internetcalls.com and voipfone and the sound
    > quality is great, but I have used a softfone on a laptop
    > and had issues in the past.
    >
    > As I mentioned where you are calling can also effect quality, as VOIP
    > providers use VOIP connections to terminate calls
    > in destination country. If the network infrastructure in the destination
    > country is lousy, often the call quality can be as well. Calling South
    > Africa
    > for example

    Thanks - so far I've only been calling UK landlines, but this may change..
    I'll keep an eye on it, as I don't particularly want to spend money on
    more kit until I know I'm otherwise happy.
    Tom Cumming, Feb 26, 2007
  4. Tom Cumming

    > On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 17:57:12 +0000, RH wrote:
    >
    >> It can depend on many things I have found the hardware/software being
    >> used,
    >> the provider being used and
    >> the destination country being called.
    >>
    >> I use a cisco phone with internetcalls.com and voipfone and the sound
    >> quality is great, but I have used a softfone on a laptop
    >> and had issues in the past.
    >>
    >> As I mentioned where you are calling can also effect quality, as VOIP
    >> providers use VOIP connections to terminate calls
    >> in destination country. If the network infrastructure in the destination
    >> country is lousy, often the call quality can be as well. Calling South
    >> Africa
    >> for example

    > Thanks - so far I've only been calling UK landlines, but this may change..
    > I'll keep an eye on it, as I don't particularly want to spend money on
    > more kit until I know I'm otherwise happy.

    In that case worth testing with different voip software as well, as for
    costs it is possible to get true ATA units
    for little more than £25 on ebay currently, the difference this can make in
    less hassle is worth it, the quality for
    me in general terms, means I have given up on my real phone line, I have one
    only because I have ADSL connection
    with demon which I like, I call mainly international, and save a fortune
    RH, Feb 26, 2007
  5. Tom Cumming

    Ivor Jones Guest

    > On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 17:57:12 +0000, RH wrote:
    >
    > > It can depend on many things I have found the
    > > hardware/software being used, the provider being used
    > > and
    > > the destination country being called.
    > >
    > > I use a cisco phone with internetcalls.com and voipfone
    > > and the sound quality is great, but I have used a
    > > softfone on a laptop
    > > and had issues in the past.
    > >
    > > As I mentioned where you are calling can also effect
    > > quality, as VOIP providers use VOIP connections to
    > > terminate calls
    > > in destination country. If the network infrastructure
    > > in the destination country is lousy, often the call
    > > quality can be as well. Calling South Africa
    > > for example

    > Thanks - so far I've only been calling UK landlines, but
    > this may change.. I'll keep an eye on it, as I don't
    > particularly want to spend money on more kit until I know
    > I'm otherwise happy.

    Echo is a common problem with softphones. I've never had any problem with
    ATA's and normal phones.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Feb 26, 2007
  6. Tom Cumming

    Dave Saville Guest

    On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 10:20:19 -0000, RH wrote:

    <snip>

    >I have given up on my real phone line, I have one
    >only because I have ADSL connection
    >with demon which I like, I call mainly international, and save a fortune

    Really? I have yet to find a VOIP provider that can beat going through other
    providers such as call844 etc. to international land lines. We call India,
    Germany and Canada - a lot. Currently I pay 3p, 0.5p & 0.5p respectively. Also
    you are still paying line rental - unless you consider it as part of your ADSL
    cost.

    --

    Regards

    Dave Saville

    Dave Saville, Feb 27, 2007
  7. Tom Cumming

    RH Guest

    "Dave Saville" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 10:20:19 -0000, RH wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >>I have given up on my real phone line, I have one
    >>only because I have ADSL connection
    >>with demon which I like, I call mainly international, and save a fortune

    > Really? I have yet to find a VOIP provider that can beat going through
    > other
    > providers such as call844 etc. to international land lines. We call India,
    > Germany and Canada - a lot. Currently I pay 3p, 0.5p & 0.5p respectively.
    > Also
    > you are still paying line rental - unless you consider it as part of your
    > ADSL
    > cost.

    Did not know these other providers were so cheap, but I do use
    internetcalls.com which
    gives a number of free calls a week. I know there is a top up value, every x
    months but I use that credit for mobile calls.

    In my case the biggest way I save money, is by having a second number (for
    work, which I can route to my mobile) doing
    this via VOIP is very easy and cheap
    RH, Feb 27, 2007
  8. Tom Cumming

    Alasdair Guest

    On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 12:08:43 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >Echo is a common problem with softphones. I've never had any problem with
    >ATA's and normal phones.

    What is meant by a soft phone?

    --
    Alasdair.
    Alasdair, Apr 27, 2007
  9. Tom Cumming

    Jono Guest

    on 27/04/2007, Alasdair supposed :
    > On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 12:08:43 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Echo is a common problem with softphones. I've never had any problem with
    >> ATA's and normal phones.

    > What is meant by a soft phone?

    soft(ware) (tele)phone
    Jono, Apr 27, 2007
  10. Tom Cumming

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Jono" <> wrote in message
    > on 27/04/2007, Alasdair supposed :
    > > On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 12:08:43 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    > > <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Echo is a common problem with softphones. I've never
    > > > had any problem with ATA's and normal phones.

    > > What is meant by a soft phone?

    > soft(ware) (tele)phone

    What he said ;-)

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Apr 28, 2007
  11. Tom Cumming

    Jono Guest

    Ivor Jones explained on 28/04/2007 :

    > "Jono" <> wrote in message
    >> on 27/04/2007, Alasdair supposed :

    >> > What is meant by a soft phone?

    >> soft(ware) (tele)phone

    > What he said ;-)
    >
    > Ivor

    I hadn't realised how old this thread is. I bet there's no response
    from the asker.
    Jono, Apr 28, 2007