    Or is a Wireless Acess Point required for every wireless network?

    Thanks in advance

    (PS if this is possible a few tips would be helpful)
    Jason Frost, Feb 27, 2005

  2. Jason Frost

    DLink Guru Guest

    If you have two wireless adapters then you have enough to get what is Known
    as an AD-HOC Network connection.

    Install your two wireless adapters into each computer and run the wireless
    network wizard, if you are using Windows XP with SP2 installed. That should
    get you going.

    If you are not running XP SP2 then look at the following links for more
    info.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.mspx?pf=trueHi
    http://www.careyholzman.com/xp/home/xphome-1.htm
    http://www.ezlan.net/

    DLink Guru, Feb 27, 2005

  3. Jason Frost

    DJ Borell Guest

    >I have two computers (each has its own wireless card) I would like to
    >network and wondered if it is possible to connect them together as a point
    >to point wireless network i.e. without purchasing a Wireless Access Point?
    >Or is a Wireless Acess Point required for every wireless network?

    As DLink Guru stated, this can be done fairly easily - particularly insofar
    as you've already got WiFi cards in each system.

    However, I would point out that Wireless Routers aimed at home-users are
    fairly inexpensive (for example, the DI-524 802.11g Router lists new on
    Amazon for as low as $33). Not only do they ease network setup, but they
    significantly enhance your network's scalability and security.
    DJ Borell, Feb 27, 2005
  4. Jason Frost

    Jason Frost Guest

    Thanks for your help. I have my Ad hoc wireless network up and running. I
    will invest in a router in the near future.

    One more questions:

    My connection speed is reporting 11Mbps even though I have 54Mbps cards in
    both computers - are there some settings I need to change?

    Thanks.

    Jason Frost, Feb 27, 2005
  5. Jason Frost

    DJ Borell Guest

    > My connection speed is reporting 11Mbps even though I have 54Mbps cards in
    > both computers - are there some settings I need to change?

    The cards are going to connect at the highest speed possible that both cards
    are compatible with. Anything but 11, and I'd say you might be suffering
    from interference. But since it's 11, my guess is that one of the cards is
    not a "g" card or is not running the proper drivers. If you know that they
    are both "g" cards, check that you've got the latest drivers for them and
    that they are properly installed.

    Also, in "Device Manager", open the properties of each card. You should
    have an "Advanced" tab with a bunch of settings in it. Make sure that there
    isn't a setting restricting the speed of one or both cards to 11. For the
    most part, everything should be set to "default".

    If none of that is the issue, you may be able to find some troubleshooting
    steps at the NIC manufacturer's website.
    DJ Borell, Feb 27, 2005
  6. Jason Frost

    Jason Frost Guest

    My cards are both definately "g" type cards. I will see if i can get updated
    drivers.

    Just to be clear, if I buy one of the Wireless Routers as suggested does
    this give me a wireless network as well as sharing my internet connection or
    do i still require a Wireless Access Point?

    Jason Frost, Feb 28, 2005
  7. Jason Frost

    DJ Borell Guest

    > My cards are both definately "g" type cards. I will see if i can get
    > updated drivers.
    >
    > Just to be clear, if I buy one of the Wireless Routers as suggested does
    > this give me a wireless network as well as sharing my internet connection
    > or do i still require a Wireless Access Point?

    No, you won't need an AP. If you get one of the wireless router/gateways
    (such as the D-Link 524, or the Linksys WRT54G), you will be able to network
    and connect to the internet. They usually also have up to 4 wired ports for
    desktops or other devices. Out of the box, these things are very easy to
    set up and generally give no problems at all. The only thing you need to
    keep an eye on are the security settings. Usually, all security is turned
    "off" be default. You should;

    1) Change the SSID
    2) Disable the broadcast ID
    3) Utilize WEP or, if compatible with all your devices (WinXP supports it
    with SP2 or the WPA patch), WPA. With either method, use as strong a key as
    possible (you don't have to remember it, so make it long and filled with
    random characters.)
    4) Change the router's web-interface password
    DJ Borell, Feb 28, 2005