    I'm also a bit worried about security. I'd like to allow only the MAC
    addresses of the pc's on my network access - I assume that's possible?

    Thanks
    David, Jan 9, 2005

  2. David

    mikeFNB Guest

    "David" <> wrote in message
    news:NIiEd.318$...
    > I already have a wired network at home, and I'm just about to install a
    > router and a pci card in one of the pc's rather than run cables.
    >
    > It seems that the router (belkin) has 4 network sockets, so I'm guessing
    > that I'll be ditching the old hub in favour of plugging the pc's that were
    > connected to it into the router instead.
    >
    > The cable tv box provides the internet connection.

    plug the STB or CM into the WAN socket of the router.
    then the PC's into the LAN router sockets.
    disable ICS (if ever used)

    POWER EVERYTHING OFF AT THE MAINS.

    power CM/STB let it settle.
    power router let it settle
    power PC's
    let them get auto IP.
    away you go.

    don't forget you will need AVG free & ZA free on EVERY machine.
    configure ZA free to allow (trusted zones) the router & the other ip's ad's

    At the moment, to get
    > online I need to start the main pc first, then the others. With the new

    set
    > up, will I be able to use any one of the pc's without the rest being on -

    as
    > long as the router and cable box are powered up?

    yes

    > I'm also a bit worried about security. I'd like to allow only the MAC
    > addresses of the pc's on my network access - I assume that's possible?

    yes it the router's config menus

    mike
    mikeFNB, Jan 9, 2005

  3. David

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    The general connection should look like this:
    http://www.ezlan.net/~network/router.jpg

    The word security is used to describe both Internet security, and Wireless
    security

    However it is Not the same.

    Internet -Basic protection: http://www.ezlan.net/firewall.html

    Internet Infestation: http://www.ezlan.net/infestation.html

    Basic Steps in cleaning Internet "Junk" - http://www.ezlan.net/clean.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Jan 10, 2005
  4. David

    David Guest

    >> The cable tv box provides the internet connection.

    > plug the STB or CM into the WAN socket of the router.
    > then the PC's into the LAN router sockets.
    > disable ICS (if ever used)
    >
    > POWER EVERYTHING OFF AT THE MAINS.
    >
    > power CM/STB let it settle.
    > power router let it settle
    > power PC's
    > let them get auto IP.
    > away you go.
    >
    > don't forget you will need AVG free & ZA free on EVERY machine.
    > configure ZA free to allow (trusted zones) the router & the other ip's
    > ad's

    OK - understood.

    Currently I run AVG or Norton on all machines - do I need to disable these
    before setup starts?

    The firewall I'm using is the windows XP home (sp2) one - do I have to
    disable that first?

    Currently I share the internet, and I'm assuming that I'm using ICS. I let
    windows set up the network. Do I have to manually disable this first?

    I don't know is the router will automatically set up the internet
    connection. I did read elsewhere that the cable company sees the new kit as
    new and I need to run the setup disk again. If this happens, can I set up
    the network first and then add the internet later?

    Thanks
    David, Jan 12, 2005