    Is it really ok to use these services? How do you find a reliable one?

    THANKS for any info,

    BK, voip-curious.

    Britknee, Jun 26, 2006

  2. Britknee

    rick Guest

    On 25 Jun 2006 21:18:07 -0700, "Britknee"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi -- Sorry if this question isn't as advanced as the rest of the
    >questions, but I don't see anything about posting guidelines in your
    >faq (which I also don't see).
    >
    >In general, I am looking for some info about SIP / VOIP 'free calls.'
    >
    >In specific, I'm looking at IdeaSIP 'free' telephone calls from pc to
    >pc. They seem less hype-ey than the other services and say that they
    >are ad free, spam free, etc.
    >
    >My question to you is, how can they offer 'free' pc to pc phone calls?
    >Is it really ok to use these services? How do you find a reliable one?
    >

    >THANKS for any info,
    >
    >BK, voip-curious.

    Hi,

    If all you want to do is pc to pc calls, then i think you can just use
    yahoo's voip feature. it is completely free and works fine for those
    i know who have used it. if you want to start calling "normal" phones
    from your pc, then it starts to cost money, so it depends on what you
    want to do.

    * We buy and sell new/used networking equipment. Please contact me if
    you have any offers or are interested in buying *

    ** GUARANTEED REAL CISCO, in stock! ALL prices in USD **

    50 x CP-7940G= NEW IN BOX @ $260/each

    50 x CP-7960G= NEW IN BOX @ $320/each

    2 x CISCO1760 (64D/32F) USED @ $500.00

    1 x CISCO1760-VPN/K9 (96D/32F) USED @ $650.00

    1 x CISCO3640 (64D/32F) USED @ $375.00

    5 x CISCO7206VXR= [chassis with single AC power ONLY] NEW IN BOX @ $3800/each

    20 x NM-2FE2W USED @ $550/each

    2 x NPE-G1= NEW IN BOX @ $9000/each

    10 x PVDM-12 USED @ $120/each

    6 x PVDM2-8 USED @ $240/each

    20 x PVDM2-16 USED @ $300/each

    20 x PVDM2-32 USED @ $850/each

    10 x PVDM2-48 USED @ $1000/each

    1 x VG224 NEW IN BOX $3600

    2 x VG248 NEW IN BOX $5000/each

    Rick Truong
    TruTech Systems
    AIM: ricktrutek
    E-Mail: rick at trutechsystems dot net

    rick, Jun 26, 2006

  3. "Britknee" <> wrote:
    >My question to you is, how can they offer 'free' pc to pc phone calls?
    >Is it really ok to use these services? How do you find a reliable one?

    The same way 'they' offer free IP data transfer when you browse the
    WWWeb, you've paid your ISP for internet connectivity, and they
    (pretty much) don't care what you do with the bits.

    Skype is a pretty good example, Skype->Skype calls are free (though if
    you want to buy a headset or phone or mousepad from them they won't
    complain), and they are really hoping to show you to the value of
    SkypeOut (so you can call POTS phones, which is free thru the end of
    the year), SkypeIn (so you can have a POTS phone number), and their
    voicemail and other services.

    William P.N. Smith, Jun 26, 2006
  4. "Britknee" <> wrote in message
    > Hi -- Sorry if this question isn't as advanced as the rest of the
    > questions, but I don't see anything about posting guidelines in your
    > faq (which I also don't see).
    >
    > In general, I am looking for some info about SIP / VOIP 'free calls.'
    >
    > In specific, I'm looking at IdeaSIP 'free' telephone calls from pc to
    > pc. They seem less hype-ey than the other services and say that they
    > are ad free, spam free, etc.
    >
    > My question to you is, how can they offer 'free' pc to pc phone calls?
    > Is it really ok to use these services? How do you find a reliable one?
    >

    > THANKS for any info,
    >
    > BK, voip-curious.

    The two other responses gave great info. I also wanted to point out that
    you may not need a service at all. Depending on your requirements, you
    might be able to dial from SIP softphone to SIP softphone or you can do the
    same thing using 'hard' phones.

    Jonathan Roberts, Jun 27, 2006
  5. Britknee

    Panda Guest

    Hi,

    I have tried Free World Dialup (FWD) , they are good and they have
    large community.

    Check this site for more info:
    http://www.networkingland.com/voipmain.htm

    Good luck!

    Panda, Jun 27, 2006
  6. Britknee

    Britknee Guest

    To all who responded:

    THANK you very much for the info!

    BK

    Britknee, Jun 28, 2006
  7. Britknee

    Guest

    Hey y'all were so helpful, I'd just like to ask you one more question:

    I know you said Yahoo is good for PC to PC calls, but why I'm really
    interested in IdeaSIP is because they allow you to buy a number in
    another country and receive calls to that number.

    The way I understand it is: you buy a French (or whatever country)
    hard number, and people from france can call you on it (using their
    traditional telephone lines, paying local rates), but you receive it in
    the USA on your pc. Now THAT would be awesome, but my 'there is no
    free lunch' mentality is making it hard for me to make the plunge.

    There is so much info out there to sift thru, and I'd really appreciate
    you pros experience: ever use this service with IdeaSIP or any other
    provider? Is it dependable? How's the quality? Is there an annoying
    delay that would make it hard to do sales or customer service this way?

    THANKS again VOIPmasters,

    BK

    , Jun 29, 2006
  8. Britknee

    Ivor Jones Guest

    <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > There is so much info out there to sift thru, and I'd
    > really appreciate you pros experience: ever use this
    > service with IdeaSIP or any other provider? Is it
    > dependable? How's the quality? Is there an annoying
    > delay that would make it hard to do sales or customer
    > service this way?
    >
    > THANKS again VOIPmasters,
    >
    > BK

    If you want a genuinely free UK phone number, try www.sipgate.co.uk - no
    monthly charges, no setup fees. Note that you have to sign up using a
    UK-based IP address if you want a geographic number, but there are plenty
    of proxy servers around that will get you round that one.

    You can receive calls and make calls to other Sipgate customers and 0800
    (free) numbers with no credit, but if you want to make outgoing calls to
    the PSTN you will need to add credit rather like you would with a pre-pay
    mobile phone, but the credit never expires unlike some providers.

    One tip - get an ATA (analogue telephone adaptor) and plug an ordinary
    phone into it rather than using a PC. It's so much more convenient and
    doesn't require your computer to be on in order to receive or make a call.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jun 30, 2006
  9. Britknee

    Rochana N Guest

    If you want to have a hard number in another country for free, such
    that others can call at their local rates- you can use FWD with Sip
    Broker.
    ie. let your friends in France know your FWD id, and give them the Sip
    Broker Access # in France, and ask them to dial your FWD # when
    prompted.
    This is all free.
    I havent tried it on my own (I dont have any one in those countries).
    But I know it works.
    Hope this helps.
    Rochana

    Rochana N, Jul 1, 2006
  10. Britknee

    Britknee Guest

    Righteous. Thanks again for taking the time to share your wisdom w/me.

    BK

    Britknee, Jul 1, 2006