Newbie question

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Stephane M, May 13, 2005.

  1. Stephane M

    Stephane M Guest

    Hello,

    I am following your conversation and try to understand VoIP... :)

    1) If I use VoIPphone provider and a Cisco ATA 186 for instance...
    How can make a call of somebody, using a another VoIP phone ?
    a) how to dial a "phone number " ??

    2) honestly, calling somebofy using the same AT186, do I really need a VoIP
    provider ?
    or the provider is only needed when you call from "IP " -> Landline or
    Mobile ?

    3) I have a fix Ip Address with a NAT (Netgear 834) if the other person, has
    got a dynamic IP Address ? how does it work ?

    4) I am using Skype out at the moment. but my concern with "Skype out" is
    that you cannot hear really well the other person...(volume really low )
    Can you hear really well??

    Thanks for your help
    Stephane M, May 13, 2005

  2. Stephane M

    Linus Surguy Guest

    "Stephane M" <> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I am following your conversation and try to understand VoIP... :)
    >
    >1) If I use VoIPphone provider and a Cisco ATA 186 for instance...
    >How can make a call of somebody, using a another VoIP phone ?
    >a) how to dial a "phone number " ??

    As you would on a PSTN telephone, press the keys and it will work!

    >2) honestly, calling somebofy using the same AT186, do I really need a VoIP
    >provider ?
    >or the provider is only needed when you call from "IP " -> Landline or
    >Mobile ?

    No, you don't *need* to have one, you can call direct from IP to IP if you know
    the users IP address and you can deal with the various firewall/nat issues.

    >3) I have a fix Ip Address with a NAT (Netgear 834) if the other person, has
    >got a dynamic IP Address ? how does it work ?

    See answer to (2). Dealing with a VoIP provider to handle your calls will cope
    with this.

    >4) I am using Skype out at the moment. but my concern with "Skype out" is
    >that you cannot hear really well the other person...(volume really low )
    >Can you hear really well??

    Most VoIP providers that we work with provide call quality indistinguishable
    from 'normal' telephone calls.

    Linus

    www.telesave.co.uk: UK 2.5p/1.5/1p South Africa 6p US,France,Germany,Eire 2.5p
    Looking for VoIP ? We're the largest wholesale numbering supplier in the UK!
    Linus Surguy, May 14, 2005

  3. Stephane M

    Stephane M Guest

    Thank Linus for your reply,

    But :
    1) Which kind number you dial ?? an Ethernet IP Address ?? (-> reason of my
    question for people haven't a fix IP address !?!? How to do ??!?
    Or is there a possiblilty with all the VoIP provider, to reach a kind of
    "address book" like you can do on skype, finding people ??

    2) OK, so I don't need any VoIP provider.... Does it mean that I can use an
    ATA186 and my analog phone, dialing somebody else having an AT186 and an
    Analog phone as well for free ?
    and I suppose that I dial his IP Address ??

    regards,

    Steph

    "Linus Surguy" <> wrote in message
    > "Stephane M" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Hello,
    > >
    > >I am following your conversation and try to understand VoIP... :)
    > >
    > >1) If I use VoIPphone provider and a Cisco ATA 186 for instance...
    > >How can make a call of somebody, using a another VoIP phone ?
    > >a) how to dial a "phone number " ??

    > As you would on a PSTN telephone, press the keys and it will work!
    >
    > >2) honestly, calling somebofy using the same AT186, do I really need a

    VoIP
    > >provider ?
    > >or the provider is only needed when you call from "IP " -> Landline or
    > >Mobile ?

    > No, you don't *need* to have one, you can call direct from IP to IP if you

    know
    > the users IP address and you can deal with the various firewall/nat

    issues.

    > >3) I have a fix Ip Address with a NAT (Netgear 834) if the other person,

    has
    > >got a dynamic IP Address ? how does it work ?

    > See answer to (2). Dealing with a VoIP provider to handle your calls will

    cope
    > with this.
    >
    > >4) I am using Skype out at the moment. but my concern with "Skype out" is
    > >that you cannot hear really well the other person...(volume really low )
    > >Can you hear really well??

    > Most VoIP providers that we work with provide call quality

    indistinguishable
    > from 'normal' telephone calls.
    >
    > Linus
    >

    > --
    > Linus Surguy - Magrathea Telecommunications Ltd. Wholesale and retail

    telephone

    www.callthrough.co.uk

    Stephane M, May 14, 2005
  4. On Sat, 14 May 2005 12:44:50 +0100, "Stephane M" <>
    wrote:

    >But :
    >1) Which kind number you dial ?? an Ethernet IP Address ?? (-> reason of my
    >question for people haven't a fix IP address !?!? How to do ??!?
    >Or is there a possiblilty with all the VoIP provider, to reach a kind of
    >"address book" like you can do on skype, finding people ??

    IP address. The idea of SIP is to provide an address like an email
    address that the SIP server uses to translate into the current IP
    address. You can run a SIP server yourself, for example in an Intertex
    IX66 router.

    Have a look at FWD http://www.pulver.com/fwd/ I have used that with a
    soft phone (X-ten) and also with an ATA186.

    >2) OK, so I don't need any VoIP provider.... Does it mean that I can use an
    >ATA186 and my analog phone, dialing somebody else having an AT186 and an
    >Analog phone as well for free ?
    >and I suppose that I dial his IP Address ??

    yes, you can call IP to IP with IP telephones, ATA's or with
    softphones. That way you know its free.

    Phil
    --
    spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
    Come on down !
    Phil Thompson, May 14, 2005