    logger one day after completely wiping, reformatting, and reinstalling?

    TIA!!!

    -Ryan
    Ryan, Oct 26, 2005

  2. Ryan

    Donnie Guest

    "Ryan" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi all-
    >
    > This is probably an easy question to answer, but I'm pretty concerned, so
    > here goes. On my home computer I am running XP SP2, Zonealarm Pro, NAV
    > 2003, Firefox, Agent, DCPP...just reformatted and installed all maybe 2

    days
    > ago. However, today I got an alert from Zonealarm Pro sayinf "Windows
    > Messenger is attempting to monitor your keystrokes and/or mouse

    movements."
    > Or something to that effect. Is this normal, or do I have a keystroke
    > logger one day after completely wiping, reformatting, and reinstalling?
    >
    > TIA!!!
    >
    > -Ryan

    ##############################
    It might not be normal but it's certainly possible.
    donnie
    Donnie, Oct 28, 2005

  3. Ryan

    Ryan Wenzel Guest

    Hmmm...any ideas on how to check and/or eliminate? Real newbie here.

    Thanx again!!!
    -Ryan

    Ryan Wenzel, Oct 28, 2005
  4. Ryan

    Donnie Guest

    "Ryan Wenzel" <> wrote in message
    > Hmmm...any ideas on how to check and/or eliminate? Real newbie here.
    >
    > Thanx again!!!
    > -Ryan

    ##############################
    I'm assuming it's a stand alone machine, that is, no other machines are
    connnected as part of a network. If that's the case and there is a keystoke
    logger runing, then it must be sending the information somewhere. Click
    start, run, type cmd in the box and press enter. When you get to the
    command prompt, type
    netstat -an
    and press enter. Do that with all windows closed, such as the browser, mail
    and newsgroup windows.
    Pay attention to the foreign address column. Note any established
    connections, the IP address and the port. If you don't know how to read the
    output , post it here and someone will help you.
    The next thing or actually it could be the first is, look in the registry.
    Click start, run, type regedit and press enter. When the box opens click on
    the following plus signs
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    Software
    Microsoft
    Windows
    CurrentVersion
    Then open the run folder. Look for things that don't belong. Again, if
    you're not sure, post it here. Many trojans hide in that folder. The same
    for HKEY_CURRENT_USER.
    Also, run msconfig from the run box the same way. Check the startup,
    advanced, win.ini, config.sys, autoexec.bat. Things can start from those
    places too.
    donnie
    Donnie, Oct 29, 2005
  5. Ryan

    Klaas Guest

    On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 16:30:41 -0800, "Ryan" <> wrote:

    >Hi all-
    >
    >This is probably an easy question to answer, but I'm pretty concerned, so
    >here goes. On my home computer I am running XP SP2, Zonealarm Pro, NAV
    >2003, Firefox, Agent, DCPP...just reformatted and installed all maybe 2 days
    >ago. However, today I got an alert from Zonealarm Pro sayinf "Windows
    >Messenger is attempting to monitor your keystrokes and/or mouse movements."
    >Or something to that effect. Is this normal, or do I have a keystroke
    >logger one day after completely wiping, reformatting, and reinstalling?

    Do you use the newest version of ZA Pro? With the newest version I had
    something similar, but the pop up you mentioned came for anohter
    software, when I ran it in in full screen mode. I checked my pc
    carefully, but there weren't any logger and nobody sent messages to
    the internet. The only explanation I have is, that some software
    indeed log keyboard and mouse movements, since it is neccessary for
    their funtionalty.

    This point and some learning about the built in XP firewall led me to
    the conclusion to get rid of ZA Pro and to relay on the XP firewall
    alone. But only after close all open ports.

    --
    Klaas
    Klaas, Oct 29, 2005