Newbie Question (with apologies to those who have gone before me)

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by newatthis, Jul 16, 2006.

  1. newatthis

    newatthis Guest

    Ok, as noted, I'm new at doing anything more sophisticated video-wise
    than watching TV or playing a DVD. Here's my situation.

    I recently had some old 16mm home movies from the '20s converted to DVD
    by a professional outfit. The movies were silent, so the conversion
    folks included some music on the audio track of the DVD when they did
    the conversion. I now have a separate narration (in MP3 format) that
    goes with the video. Here is what (I think - suggestions welcome) I'd
    like to do.

    I'd like to rip the video off the DVD, get rid of the music,
    synchronize the video with the new audio (narration) and then record
    the composite video/narration back on to a new DVD that is as
    universally playable as possible, all without losing any more video or
    audio fidelity than absolutely necessary (I paid a lot for a high
    quality video conversion and I don't want to waste the investment).

    Obviously, I'm going to need some software. Equally obviously I would
    like to spend as little as possible in this process, but not at the
    expense of doing it right.

    I have a pretty competent system to work with - 3 Ghz Pentium 4,
    XP-Pro, 1 Gig of memory, Sony DRU-810A DVD/CD Rewritable Drive, NVIDIA
    GeForce FX 5200.

    My question is, what software do I need to get me from where I am to
    where I want to go, and what hints, tips and suggestions might anyone
    here have for getting through this process as painlessly as possible.

    Thanks in advance.

    T.

    newatthis, Jul 16, 2006