Newbie question - What's wrong with my switch?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by remolacha, Apr 28, 2008.

  1. remolacha

    remolacha Guest

    Newbie here trying to set up a CCNA lab.
    A friend gave me a Catalyst 3550 but it's not fully working.
    I'd like to use to become familiar with switches first before going to
    routers (I have two routers but can't get the DCE cable to hook them
    back-to-back Anybody know how to make a male DTE cable into a DTE cable?
    I have a soldering iron:)

    When I power up this switch the Systen light stays amber - which I hope I
    know means that the post test did not pass.

    I also know from the outpt listed here below that Ethernet Controller (2)
    is bad.

    Any help in identifying and trouble shooting the problem would be
    welcome.

    Thanks.

    output of switch follows...

    File "flash:c3550-i5q3l2-mz.121-12c.EA1/c3550-i5q3l2-mz.121-12c.EA1.bin"
    uncompr
    essed and installed, entry point: 0x3000
    executing...

    Restricted Rights Legend

    Use, duplication, or disclosure by the Government is
    subject to restrictions as set forth in subparagraph
    (c) of the Commercial Computer Software - Restricted
    Rights clause at FAR sec. 52.227-19 and subparagraph
    (c) (1) (ii) of the Rights in Technical Data and Computer
    Software clause at DFARS sec. 252.227-7013.

    cisco Systems, Inc.
    170 West Tasman Drive
    San Jose, California 95134-1706

    IOS (tm) C3550 Software (C3550-I5Q3L2-M), Version 12.1(12c)EA1, RELEASE
    SOFTWARE
    (fc1)
    Compiled Mon 25-Nov-02 00:07 by antonino
    Image text-base: 0x00003000, data-base: 0x0075FE48

    Initializing flashfs...
    flashfs[1]: 20 files, 3 directories
    flashfs[1]: 0 orphaned files, 0 orphaned directories
    flashfs[1]: Total bytes: 15998976
    flashfs[1]: Bytes used: 5582848
    flashfs[1]: Bytes available: 10416128
    flashfs[1]: flashfs fsck took 8 seconds.
    flashfs[1]: Initialization complete.
    ....done Initializing flashfs.
    POST: CPU Buffer Tests : Begin
    POST: CPU Buffer Tests : End, Status Passed
    POST: CPU Interface Tests : Begin
    POST: CPU Interface Tests : End, Status Passed
    POST: Switch Core Tests : Begin
    POST: Switch Core Tests : End, Status Passed
    POST: CPU Interface 2nd Stage Tests : Begin
    POST: CPU Interface 2nd Stage Tests : End, Status Passed
    POST: CAM Subsystem Tests : Begin
    POST: CAM Subsystem Tests : End, Status Passed
    POST: Ethernet Controller Tests : Begin
    Ethernet Controller (2) RAM POST: RAM Failed to send write command (data
    lines)
    POST: Ethernet Controller Tests : End, Status Passed
    INIT: failed satellites initializationcisco WS-C3550-24 (PowerPC)
    processor (rev
    ision H0) with 65526K/8192K bytes of memory.
    Processor board ID CHK0704W0F1
    Last reset from warm-reset
    Bridging software.
    Running Layer2/3 Switching Image

    Ethernet-controller 1 has 12 Fast Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interfaces

    Ethernet-controller 2 has 12 Fast Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interfaces
    Ethernet-controller 2 failed POST
    POST error status : external RAM test failed

    Ethernet-controller 3 has 1 Gigabit Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface

    Ethernet-controller 4 has 1 Gigabit Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface

    The password-recovery mechanism is enabled.
    384K bytes of flash-simulated non-volatile configuration memory.
    Base ethernet MAC Address: 00:0B:FD:99:D9:00
    Motherboard assembly number: 73-5700-09
    Power supply part number: 34-0966-02
    Motherboard serial number: CAT070307NY
    Power supply serial number: DCA065221FS
    Model revision number: H0
    Motherboard revision number: A0
    Model number: WS-C3550-24-EMI
    System serial number: CHK08040F11

    !!! WARNING: The switch is not usable !!!

    Press RETURN to get started!

    00:00:32: %SPANTREE-5-EXTENDED_SYSID: Extended SysId enabled for type
    vlan
    00:00:34: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from memory by console
    00:00:35: %SYS-5-RESTART: System restarted --
    IOS (tm) C3550 Software (C3550-I5Q3L2-M), Version 12.1(12c)EA1, RELEASE
    SOFTWARE
    (fc1)
    Compiled Mon 25-Nov-02 00:07 by stephan
    remolacha, Apr 28, 2008

  2. remolacha <> writes:
    >Newbie here trying to set up a CCNA lab.
    >A friend gave me a Catalyst 3550 but it's not fully working.
    >I'd like to use to become familiar with switches first before going to
    >routers (I have two routers but can't get the DCE cable to hook them
    >back-to-back Anybody know how to make a male DTE cable into a DTE cable?
    >I have a soldering iron:)

    At $2 of so on eBay, vs. probably 10 hours of your time making it,
    wouldn't it be easier to buy one on ebay for your DCE to DTE cable?
    Those DB60 connectors are murder to hand solder..

    >When I power up this switch the Systen light stays amber - which I hope I
    >know means that the post test did not pass.

    >I also know from the outpt listed here below that Ethernet Controller (2)
    >is bad.

    >Any help in identifying and trouble shooting the problem would be
    >welcome.

    Umm, the problem is that you have fried hardware, and fixing it will
    most likely involve unsoldering highly dense surface mount chips,
    finding said chips in the repair channel to be able to even buy them,
    and reflow soldering them back on?

    The switch probably functions for the first 12 ports and the last 2,
    just not for ports 13 to 24?

    The 2nd bank of 12 ports is probably fried beyond most people's
    ability to repair for even 10 times what Smartnet would cost to get it
    repaired (since the limited lifetime warantee isn't going to apply to you).
    Doug McIntyre, Apr 28, 2008

  3. remolacha

    Andy Roberts Guest

    Try www.anthonypanda.com for back 2 back cables. I have had dozens of these
    over the last few years and never a problem. Great price too.

    On 29/04/2008 05:26, in article
    , "jwkrych"

    Andy Roberts, Apr 29, 2008
  4. remolacha

    remolacha Guest

    Thanks for the link Andy.
    Would a DB60 to DB60 Crossover work ?
    There are so many cables listed that I am a little bit confused as to
    which one is the one I need....

    The Catalyst 3550 ended up in the garbage where it came from - I don't
    have time to fool around with defective equipment wondering if it's me
    who's doing something wrong - maybe at a later time when I gather some
    experience with these boxes...

    Andy Roberts <> wrote in

    remolacha, May 2, 2008
  5. remolacha

    remolacha Guest

    jwkrych <> wrote in

    > remolacha wrote:
    >> Newbie here trying to set up a CCNA lab.
    >> A friend gave me a Catalyst 3550 but it's not fully working.
    >> I'd like to use to become familiar with switches first before going
    >> to routers (I have two routers but can't get the DCE cable to hook
    >> them back-to-back Anybody know how to make a male DTE cable into a
    >> DTE cable? I have a soldering iron:)
    >>

    > I'd recommend Dantrak from eBay for cables. They are top notch and
    > great to work with. I agree about not hand soldering those things.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > James
    >
    > CCNA, Network+, Security+, 220-601(A+ Core)

    Thanks for tip James.
    remolacha, May 2, 2008
  6. remolacha

    remolacha Guest

    Doug McIntyre <> wrote in

    > remolacha <> writes:
    >>Newbie here trying to set up a CCNA lab.
    >>A friend gave me a Catalyst 3550 but it's not fully working.
    >>I'd like to use to become familiar with switches first before going to
    >>routers (I have two routers but can't get the DCE cable to hook them
    >>back-to-back Anybody know how to make a male DTE cable into a DTE
    >>cable? I have a soldering iron:)

    > At $2 of so on eBay, vs. probably 10 hours of your time making it,
    > wouldn't it be easier to buy one on ebay for your DCE to DTE cable?
    > Those DB60 connectors are murder to hand solder..
    >
    >>When I power up this switch the Systen light stays amber - which I
    >>hope I know means that the post test did not pass.

    >>I also know from the outpt listed here below that Ethernet Controller
    >>(2) is bad.

    >>Any help in identifying and trouble shooting the problem would be
    >>welcome.

    > Umm, the problem is that you have fried hardware, and fixing it will
    > most likely involve unsoldering highly dense surface mount chips,
    > finding said chips in the repair channel to be able to even buy them,
    > and reflow soldering them back on?
    >
    > The switch probably functions for the first 12 ports and the last 2,
    > just not for ports 13 to 24?
    >
    > The 2nd bank of 12 ports is probably fried beyond most people's
    > ability to repair for even 10 times what Smartnet would cost to get it
    > repaired (since the limited lifetime warantee isn't going to apply to
    > you).

    Yeah, it ended up in the grabage - will try to get me another switch -
    it's no good to try to learn on something that is broken...
    remolacha, May 2, 2008