    Thanks for any feedback.

    Much appreciated.

    Mr.M
    Mr.Muppster, Jan 2, 2006

  2. Mr.Muppster wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Please excuse my ignorance but I'm trying to read through many an internet
    > page about VoIP & I'm learning all the time.
    >
    > Thinking about getting a VoIP phone up & running but was wondering if I need
    > to change my router or will my Dlink DI-624 work OK with the VoIP system?

    From memory that was an early (no WPA :-( ) ADSL wireless router, which
    has simple tcp and udp port forwarding capabilities.

    It is certainly do-able, but you may experience a loss in quality if you
    are using P2P software at the same time. Forcing the handset to use
    G.729 will help this a little.

    > Planning to get a USB VoIP adapter if that is critical or not? (so I can use
    > my cordless home phone for PC calls).

    Personally I'd recommend paying a little bit extra and getting an ATA,
    that way you wont need the PC switched on to make calls.

    Failing that, if your mobile phone contract is due soon, it may be worth
    seeing how much a Nokia E60 (Due 1st Quarter of this year) will cost
    (since you have an access point already) although as with most wireless
    applications, you will probably need an access point upstairs as well
    (so perfect if you live in a fairly small flat).

    I've clearly never used an E60, but it does look promising (good battery
    times, even if it has only got a 5C battery as standard).

    Thomas Kenyon, Jan 2, 2006