    when I get close it gets fuzzy. Do I need a special lens or filter or
    something?
    , Jan 4, 2007

  2. plb49 Guest

    Does your nice digital camera by chance have a close-up setting,
    usually indicated by an icon of a flower?

    plb49, Jan 4, 2007

  3. Cgiorgio Guest

    Depends on your camera, some can focus down to 1/2", others to 5". Most have
    a special "Makro" setting (flower symbol) to activate for correct AF. If you
    need depth of field you should not work with the larges aperture (if you can
    select Aperture Priority use a medium to small aperture (high value). Use a
    tripod or mini - tripod to keep your camera steady. Extra lighting might
    help as well (the built in flash does not work in most cases).

    Cgiorgio, Jan 4, 2007
  4. Paul Heslop Guest

    wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I have a nice digital camera with zoom and I'd like to take a close up,
    > high qualith pic of a figurine I have and make it my PC background, but
    > when I get close it gets fuzzy. Do I need a special lens or filter or
    > something?

    Does your camera have a setting for Macro? Macro is for close-ups.
    Something to keep the camera steady might help also as if you use
    flash you might swamp the object in light.

    Stop and Look
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
    Paul Heslop, Jan 4, 2007
  5. King Sardon Guest

    On 4 Jan 2007 12:44:06 -0800, wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I have a nice digital camera with zoom and I'd like to take a close up,
    >high qualith pic of a figurine I have and make it my PC background, but
    >when I get close it gets fuzzy. Do I need a special lens or filter or
    >something?

    Check the camera's manual to find out what the closest focus distance
    is, then don't exceed it. Take the picture at that minimum distance.
    The figurine will be kind of small in the picture. Then use software
    to blow up the figurine part. You can use Irfanview for this ... a
    free download at
    http://www.irfanview.com/.

    KS
    King Sardon, Jan 4, 2007
  6. Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I have a nice digital camera with zoom and I'd like to take a close up,
    > high qualith pic of a figurine I have and make it my PC background, but
    > when I get close it gets fuzzy. Do I need a special lens or filter or
    > something?

    Which digital camera is it?

    Most digital P&S cameras cannot do close-up of figurines without extra
    help. They simply do not have the closer focus distance necessary. In
    layman's term, your camera gets fuzzy because it can not focus close
    enough to the figurine.

    You'll need to get a set of close-up lenses. The set is basically three
    glorified magnifying glasses that could be mounted to the front of a
    lens. They are referred to as +1, +2, and +4 diopter, which stands for
    the strength of magnifying. You can stack them for more power.

    You'll also need a lens adapter for your digital camera, if it can't
    accept filters readily. If you tell us what digital camera you have, we
    can tell you if an adapter exists. If no adapter exists, you'll have to
    make your own. Or you can simply hold the close-up lenses in front of
    your camera as you shoot.

    Chieh
    --
    Camera Hacker - http://www.CameraHacker.com/
    , Jan 5, 2007
  7. wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I have a nice digital camera with zoom and I'd like to take a close up,
    > high qualith pic of a figurine I have and make it my PC background, but
    > when I get close it gets fuzzy. Do I need a special lens or filter or
    > something?

    If, as others mention, you do not have a Macro or closeup setting, then
    yes, you need a set of lenses called supplemental, plus, or closeup
    lenses. How expensive they are depends on the size (filter diameter)
    of your lens. If it is a small lens, they are reasonably cheap. They
    are expensive only on the large lenses for SLR cameras.

    I personally prefer the effect of using these lenses rather than macros
    on many lenses. On many "macro" lenses the macro effect only works at
    long (telephoto) position. The use of the plus or supplemental lenses
    using a shorter focal length makes the object look larger, more
    massive. This is frequently what you want with figurines.

    Some cheaper digicams do not have filter threads for these closeup
    lenses. In this case you need to buy an adapter that mounts to your
    existing lens and provides a threaded ring into which you screw the
    filters. In any case, you need to know the thread diameter of the lens
    or the adapter (in mm.). You buy the set according to that diameter.
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Jan 5, 2007