    take in?

    Lovin this digital thing!
    Todd
    Todd W. Roat, Feb 29, 2004

  2. Todd W. Roat

    Steven Wandy Guest

    > Got a Nikon Coolpix for Xmas. Love it. Takes great shots, easily
    > downloaded to computer. Now what?

    Glad you are having fun. I have been photographing for over 30 years and
    digital makes it that much more fun.

    > 1) How do get them developed if I want a few prints? Do we take the
    > memory card into the store or what?

    Depends on where you are taking them. Some discount places (Walmart, Costco,
    Sam's Club) will make prints. Some one-hour photo places are starting to
    digital also. I would assume how they accept the images depends upon the
    individual place. Check in your area. (Or get yourself some simple software
    to fix up the images yourself - Adobe Elements and Microsoft Picture It are
    both good starting points, there are also some others - and invest in a
    photo quality printer. It's not cheaper than bringing somewhere to print,
    but - atleast IMHO - much more satisfying and fun.)

    > 2) Also, if we archive to computer/dc/dvd, and later want to get them
    > developed, can we take the cd in or do upload back to memoery card to
    > take in?

    NEVER archive on your hard drive. Things can happen to corrupt the files.
    Always back them up onto recordable (NOT re-recordable they are not as
    reliable) CDRs or DVDs. When you want to re-print some stuff - well see
    previous answer. It would depend on how your local place accepts the files.
    But remember - have fun!!!!!!
    Steven Wandy, Feb 29, 2004

  3. Todd W. Roat

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Todd W. Roat wrote:
    > Got a Nikon Coolpix for Xmas. Love it. Takes great shots, easily
    > downloaded to computer. Now what?
    >
    > 1) How do get them developed if I want a few prints? Do we take the
    > memory card into the store or what?
    >
    > 2) Also, if we archive to computer/dc/dvd, and later want to get them
    > developed, can we take the cd in or do upload back to memoery card to
    > take in?
    >
    > Lovin this digital thing!
    > Todd

    Todd,
    A lot depends on where you live. In the US, you can probably find
    either a Wal-Mart/Sam's Club, or a Costco that can print your pictures
    from either your flash card, or a CD on the same machine as they use for
    the film 1 hour photos. These are great prints, generally, and range
    from $.18 to about $.39 for a 4x6 print.
    Ron Hunter, Feb 29, 2004
  4. Todd W. Roat

    Howard Guest

    keep the originals safe

    upload to any of many. many photo sites: to name a few, but not to endorse
    any: shutterfly, ofoto, photoaccess! do a google search for host sites.
    many offer free prints, allow you to "invite" others to see your albums,
    move photos around, set parameters for no copies, full copies, and a few
    other choices for the visitor, and so on. I PERSONALLY prefer sites that do
    not require a visitor to "log in", that is, set up and ID......so far NO
    SPAM (that I can ascertain) from any of the sites.

    enjoy, H

    --

    In the words of the IMMORTAL USED CAR DEALER:
    THERE IS AN ASS FOR EVERY SEAT!
    Howard, Feb 29, 2004
  5. (Todd W. Roat) writes:

    > 1) How do get them developed if I want a few prints? Do we take the
    > memory card into the store or what?

    Hi, Todd. The pictures are digital images, so 'getting them developed' is a
    concept that doesn't really apply. You want the images printed. If you have
    a color inkjet printer, you can get photographic paper and print them
    yourself. Louise and I print her photos on photo paper, and no one notices
    that they are not prints from color negatives. Office supply stores (look
    for office in the name: Office Max, Office Depot, Staples) carry photo
    papers. You can get glossy, matte, and other types. Some people recommend
    getting the brand made for your printer, as it absorbs the ink better
    (assuming you're using the same brand ink as your printer).

    If you want them printed professionally, and many question the
    professionalism of the stores, either call ahead and ask how they want the
    images or drop by.

    Phil Stripling, Feb 29, 2004
  6. Todd W. Roat

    John Navas Guest

    In <> on 29 Feb 2004 08:14:22
    -0800, (Todd W. Roat) wrote:

    >Got a Nikon Coolpix for Xmas. Love it. Takes great shots, easily
    >downloaded to computer. Now what?
    >
    >1) How do get them developed if I want a few prints? Do we take the
    >memory card into the store ...

    Yes. Costco or Walmart.

    >2) Also, if we archive to computer/dc/dvd, and later want to get them
    >developed, can we take the cd in ...

    CD usually yes. DVD not yet widely supported.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas
    John Navas, Feb 29, 2004
  7. Todd W. Roat

    Todd W. Roat Guest

    Thanks for all the replies! I get it, I get it now ;^) Will look
    into all the options mentioned. Between DVD players, computers,
    shockwave photo albums, etc, Im not sure if we would even even rquire
    prints now. ALl our family members have dvd players and computers and
    email - rapid delivery!

    This is going to fun!
    Thanks again
    Todd

    Todd W. Roat, Mar 2, 2004
  8. Todd W. Roat

    bencon Guest

    Just to mention it... you should keep your eye on the staples
    website, b/c they frequently offer good deals on photo-quality
    printers, etc... The reason I am telling you this, is because my
    father just got one for very cheap... basically ripped THEM off LOL.
    Anyway, have fun w/ the dig.
    bencon, Mar 2, 2004