    (still WEP, i know i should upgrade to WPA)?

    Thanks so much! just want to check before i buy the adapter.

    Revathi
    revathi, Apr 15, 2008

  2. revathi

    John Guest

    Is this is your printer?
    http://estore.usa.canon.com/Specification.asp?ITEM_ID=37217

    If that's correct, there should be an ethernet connector on the printer. Why
    spend more $$$ if you can just use an ethernet cable to connect the printer
    to the router's ethernet port?

    John, Apr 15, 2008

  3. Hi
    You can not buy a USB or any other regular card. Regular USB or card need
    Drivers, A printer is Not a computer it does not load Wireless Drivers.
    In order to work Wirelessly you need to install into the printer's Network
    connector a Driverless Wireless Network Device.
    This device is very good and would do WPA and WPA2.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833162168
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Apr 16, 2008
  4. revathi

    revathi Guest

    thanks so much for your answers...saved me $20-30 on something that
    wouldn't work. my printer is in a different room from the wireless
    router so it's not so easy to hook up the ethernet cable to it.
    revathi, Apr 16, 2008
  5. revathi

    smlunatick Guest

    On Apr 15, 8:51 pm, revathi <> wrote:
    > thanks so much for your answers...saved me $20-30 on something that
    > wouldn't work.  my printer is in a different room from the wireless
    > router so it's not so easy to  hook up the ethernet cable to it.

    Sad to say but every "regular" USB wireless network adapters are for
    Windows PCs mainly because you must install drivers. Also, most USB
    ports on printers are limited to access flask keys / cameras as drive
    (like the media readers.)

    You can add a separate wireless print server but most would only
    permit you to use the printer functions only.

    TRENDNet has wireless print servers

    http://trendnet.com/products/proddetail.asp?prod=120_TEW-MP1U&cat=46

    You need to check with other makers to see if your printer is
    compatible with a separate wireless print server.
    smlunatick, Apr 16, 2008
  6. revathi

    John Guest

    That makes sense. In that case, you'll need a wireless print server. Google
    for wireless print server. Pick one that fits your budget. Or you can hook
    up your printer to one of the computer (LPT or USB connection) and use your
    computer to share the printer. The downside is you'll have to leave the PC
    on to be able to print.

    John, Apr 16, 2008