Newbie Question: Processing RAWs (.NEFs) - Image Size Reduction Necessary?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by anonymous1, May 14, 2005.

  1. anonymous1

    anonymous1 Guest

    Newbie Question: Processing RAWs (.NEFs) - Image Size Reduction Necessary?
    I intend to edit my RAW (.NEF) files from my Nikon D70 in Nikon
    Capture and/or Adobe Photoshop and rendering the final shots as JPEGs at
    300dpi for printing at a commercial printer (mostly for 4X6 prints). When I
    printed samples out on my cheap bubblejet printer, I had to of course
    include the step of reducing the image size in PhotoShop to 4X6 for printing
    purposes. It's my understanding that commercial printers use software to
    automatically reduce the image size for printing. (I assume this because in
    the past when I had shot 5 megapixel JPEGs in my cheap digital pocket
    camera, I never reduced the image size before I dropped off the JPEGs for
    commercial printing).
    MY QUESTIONS: 1) Is it recommended that I reduce the image size of
    the JPEGs I create from the RAWs to 4X6 or should I just skip that step and
    let the commercial printers software do it for me? 2) If I don't reduce the
    image size myself, am I reducing the quality of the JPEGs I render by in
    essence having the JPEGs being compressed twice....once when I make the
    JPEGs and once by the commercial printer's software? Hard drive space is
    not an issue and I'd rather skip reducing the image size if it really
    doesn't matter. Thanks in advance for you input.

    anonymous1, May 14, 2005

  2. anonymous1

    birdman Guest

    I guess I do not understand why you would bother with a D70 if all you want
    are drugstore/P&S quality 4x6 prints. You could save time, aggravation and
    money with fixed lens camera and get results that are indistinguishable from
    what the D70 will produce.

    Several free tutorials of excellent quality about how to use the Adobe raw
    converter are available on the web. Today the site seems to be down but
    www.russellbrown.com has several video tutorials for download on the raw
    converter and other Photoshop topics. To get the most out of the raw
    converter however requires understanding the alternative tools that are
    available for image manipulation in Photoshop which may be a better choice
    than the raw converter for a particular purpose.

    Again if jpeg snapshots are your goal, which is a legitimate goal, the
    D70/Adobe raw converter is very much overkill.

    birdman, May 14, 2005

  3. anonymous1

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "birdman" <> writes:
    > I guess I do not understand why you would bother with a D70 if all
    > you want are drugstore/P&S quality 4x6 prints. You could save time,
    > aggravation and money with fixed lens camera and get results that
    > are indistinguishable from what the D70 will produce.

    Huh? The D70 gives you far more control over lighting (wireless
    flash automation), cleaner images at high ISO, interchangeable lenses
    including monster telephotos, freedom from shutter lag, etc. All
    of those things are relevant regardless of the print size.

    Paul Rubin, May 14, 2005
  4. anonymous1

    Destin_FL Guest

    I certainly don't understand this comment at all.... I moved from an $800
    Olympus C8080 to the D70, and NO MATTER what size prints I want, the image
    quality from the D70 blows the doors off every P&S camera I have owned. There
    is REAL depth of field, REAL lighting accuracy, REAL color accuracy. The
    advantages go on and on... "drugstore quality 4x6 prints" is NOT the issue.

    Tim

    Destin_FL, May 14, 2005
  5. anonymous1

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Sat, 14 May 2005 13:47:15 -0400, in rec.photo.digital "anonymous1"
    <> wrote:

    >Newbie Question: Processing RAWs (.NEFs) - Image Size Reduction Necessary?
    > I intend to edit my RAW (.NEF) files from my Nikon D70 in Nikon
    >Capture and/or Adobe Photoshop and rendering the final shots as JPEGs at
    >300dpi for printing at a commercial printer (mostly for 4X6 prints). When I
    >printed samples out on my cheap bubblejet printer, I had to of course
    >include the step of reducing the image size in PhotoShop to 4X6 for printing
    >purposes. It's my understanding that commercial printers use software to
    >automatically reduce the image size for printing. (I assume this because in
    >the past when I had shot 5 megapixel JPEGs in my cheap digital pocket
    >camera, I never reduced the image size before I dropped off the JPEGs for
    >commercial printing).
    > MY QUESTIONS: 1) Is it recommended that I reduce the image size of
    >the JPEGs I create from the RAWs to 4X6 or should I just skip that step and
    >let the commercial printers software do it for me? 2) If I don't reduce the
    >image size myself, am I reducing the quality of the JPEGs I render by in
    >essence having the JPEGs being compressed twice....once when I make the
    >JPEGs and once by the commercial printer's software? Hard drive space is
    >not an issue and I'd rather skip reducing the image size if it really
    >doesn't matter. Thanks in advance for you input.

    You need to start with a basic understanding of image PPI and printer dpi.
    A good place to start is at Wayne Fulton's Scantips site
    http://www.scantips.com/basics01.html

    ----------
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

    Ed Ruf, May 15, 2005
  6. anonymous1

    Roy Guest

    "anonymous1" <> wrote in message
    > Newbie Question: Processing RAWs (.NEFs) - Image Size Reduction Necessary?
    > I intend to edit my RAW (.NEF) files from my Nikon D70 in Nikon
    > Capture and/or Adobe Photoshop and rendering the final shots as JPEGs at
    > 300dpi for printing at a commercial printer (mostly for 4X6 prints). When
    > printed samples out on my cheap bubblejet printer, I had to of course
    > include the step of reducing the image size in PhotoShop to 4X6 for
    > printing
    > purposes. It's my understanding that commercial printers use software to
    > automatically reduce the image size for printing. (I assume this because
    > in
    > the past when I had shot 5 megapixel JPEGs in my cheap digital pocket
    > camera, I never reduced the image size before I dropped off the JPEGs for
    > commercial printing).
    > MY QUESTIONS: 1) Is it recommended that I reduce the image size of
    > the JPEGs I create from the RAWs to 4X6 or should I just skip that step
    > and
    > let the commercial printers software do it for me? 2) If I don't reduce
    > the
    > image size myself, am I reducing the quality of the JPEGs I render by in
    > essence having the JPEGs being compressed twice....once when I make the
    > JPEGs and once by the commercial printer's software? Hard drive space is
    > not an issue and I'd rather skip reducing the image size if it really
    > doesn't matter. Thanks in advance for you input.

    I use a D70, and find the quality very good, much better, but not mind
    blowingly vastly better than my wife's Fuji S5500.

    If you only ever look at 6 x 4 prints, I do not understand your assertion
    about the vast difference in quality. From my years of Photographic
    printing experience, (a first Salon acceptance in 1963), I would say that it
    is very difficult to judge print quality, or original image quality, in such
    a small print.

    I can remember in those days thinking I was quite good, until I tried making
    my first big Prints (20 x 16). Only then did I see that, not only was the
    negative exposure and contrast well out, but my focussing left a lot to be
    desired. (overall grey, grainy and woolly images)

    I can understand anyone wanting to own a really nice Camera, because, even
    if you never take any photos, it is a nice thing to own and handle and an
    intellectual challenge to find out what everything does.

    But you are not going to see the benefits of a D70 , or any similar camera,
    until you start making big prints.

    Jpeg. You are concerned about losing quality at the photo printers.

    If you resize downward yourself, before sending off, that will be the 2nd
    time you have saved as a Jpeg, so you will have reduced the quality.

    If you import from the Camera as a Nef and convert to and save as Tiff. You
    should then be able to downsize and save as Jpeg for the print shop without
    losing much quality. There is not much point in using a high quality camera
    and then only saving your pictures in a Lossy format like Jpeg.

    Roy G

    Roy, May 15, 2005
  7. anonymous1

    Guest

    In message <4e36e$428639a5$d1cc59a3$>,
    "anonymous1" <> wrote:

    >Newbie Question: Processing RAWs (.NEFs) - Image Size Reduction Necessary?
    > I intend to edit my RAW (.NEF) files from my Nikon D70 in Nikon
    >Capture and/or Adobe Photoshop and rendering the final shots as JPEGs at
    >300dpi for printing at a commercial printer (mostly for 4X6 prints). When I
    >printed samples out on my cheap bubblejet printer, I had to of course
    >include the step of reducing the image size in PhotoShop to 4X6 for printing
    >purposes. It's my understanding that commercial printers use software to
    >automatically reduce the image size for printing. (I assume this because in
    >the past when I had shot 5 megapixel JPEGs in my cheap digital pocket
    >camera, I never reduced the image size before I dropped off the JPEGs for
    >commercial printing).
    > MY QUESTIONS: 1) Is it recommended that I reduce the image size of
    >the JPEGs I create from the RAWs to 4X6 or should I just skip that step and
    >let the commercial printers software do it for me? 2) If I don't reduce the
    >image size myself, am I reducing the quality of the JPEGs I render by in
    >essence having the JPEGs being compressed twice....once when I make the
    >JPEGs and once by the commercial printer's software? Hard drive space is
    >not an issue and I'd rather skip reducing the image size if it really
    >doesn't matter. Thanks in advance for you input.

    It is safest to simply leave the image at its native pixel resolution
    and tell the print dialogue to print it at the size you want. It is
    very easy to totally destroy the image in an attempt to change the print
    size of the image. It's one of those pitfalls that thousands run to
    like lemmings into the sea. Forget about DPI; forget about print size,
    until the driver asks you what size you want to print at. Don't change
    anything in the program before printing, regarding print size, except to
    crop the image as you want it printed.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    , May 15, 2005
  8. anonymous1

    Guest

    In message <_9uhe.3273$3%>,
    "birdman" <> wrote:

    >I guess I do not understand why you would bother with a D70 if all you want
    >are drugstore/P&S quality 4x6 prints. You could save time, aggravation and
    >money with fixed lens camera and get results that are indistinguishable from
    >what the D70 will produce.

    Wow. That's a lot of assuming.

    --

    John P Sheehy <>