Newbie question on XP 64

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by boe, Sep 6, 2006.

  1. boe

    boe Guest

    Hello,

    I'm pretty familiar with XP 32 but have no real knowledge of XP 64 other
    than it exists. I have some newbie questions if you don't mind giving me a
    clue (or two).

    1 - Although many apps may not be written to take advantage of XP 64 - can
    all apps run on XP 64? Are there any that don't?

    2. Is there a list of apps that do run better on XP 64?

    3. Is there a reason not to get XP 64?

    4. Any issue with drivers?

    Any other thoughts or suggestions on this would be great!

    Thanks!!!
    boe, Sep 6, 2006

  2. There's a useful whitepaper on the Windows XP 64bit web site that I think
    should help you decide:
    http://download.microsoft.com/downl..._XP_Professional_x64_Edition_Right_for_Me.doc

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 6, 2006

  3. Hi Boe, answers inline:

    1 - Although many apps may not be written to take advantage of XP 64 - can
    all apps run on XP 64? Are there any that don't?
    ***Most 32 bit applications run just fine on Windows x64, except for those
    that utilize 16 bit installers and uninstallers and 16 bit applications in
    general.

    2. Is there a list of apps that do run better on XP 64?
    ***I wouldn't say there is a list, the majority of most 32 bit applications
    run just the same on XP x64, based on my experience. I have not seen any
    significant departure for load times in apps like Photoshop 7, Office 2003.
    Hopefully future applications will be written to take advantage of the
    64-bit address space, possibly we will see it first only in scientific and
    industrial applications.

    3. Is there a reason not to get XP 64?
    ***For the most part, compatibility with legacy applications that are 16 bit
    and hardware devices that are not 64 bit native. Also, are you taking
    advantage of the raw power of the 64 bit platform, 128 GBs of Physical
    memory, running scientific, industrial applications? But at the same time,
    you can run it just like any other edition of Windows XP without a hitch,
    Office runs just fine on it, surfing the web, some of the basic functions
    most home users do on a PC works just fine.

    4. Any issue with drivers?
    ***Yes, if they are not 64 bit native, over 15 months, most manufacturers
    continue to release drivers that have 64 bit native support. Just make sure
    you check with manufacturer of any device you cannot work without, such as
    Scanners, Printers etc.

    Please make sure you check out Charlie Russel [MVP] article about the
    benefits of 64-bit Windows:
    http://download.microsoft.com/.../Is_Windows_XP_Professional_x64_Edition_Right_for_Me.doc
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/64bit/russel_x64faq.mspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/64bit/russel_exploringx64.mspx
    --
    http://adacosta.spaces.live.com

    Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin], Sep 6, 2006
  4. 1. Apps that use a driver must have a 64bit driver. Such apps that don't
    have a 64bit driver yet will not work. 16bit apps will not run. 32bit apps
    that use a 16bit driver will not install although they would run otherwise.

    2. PlanetAMD64 is a good reference site for app compat.

    3. Yes. Peripherals and devices that require drivers must have 64bit
    drivers or they will not work under x64. Consult the websites of the
    manufacturer of your peripherals for x64 drivers. If you have mostly legacy
    peripherals and devices you may not be able to use some of them.

    4. Yes, as you can see from the above. In x64 its all about the drivers.

    Now, why do you want to use x64? What is it you want to do that you cannot
    already do with x86? x64 is not an upgrade to x86. It is just an
    alternative to x86 for those whose work is pushing the resources provided
    under x86.

    Charlie Russel, who doubtless will be along to clean up my answers :) has a
    neat webcast you should see:
    http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?id=909753

    and, of course, his whitepaper:

    Colin Barnhorst, Sep 6, 2006
  5. No need to clean them up, and I had already posted >10 minutes ahead of you.
    :p

    <g>

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 6, 2006
  6. boe

    boe Guest

    Thanks for the info

    boe, Sep 6, 2006
  7. boe

    boe Guest

    I appreciate it

    boe, Sep 6, 2006
  8. boe

    boe Guest

    This is very helpful

    boe, Sep 6, 2006
  9. Charlies article is a good read and covers the bases. :)

    Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin], Sep 6, 2006
  10. boe

    Nut Cracker Guest

    Charlie,

    You might want to put together a starter-faq and post it every week so that
    noob's, like myself, will have a nice place to start. lots of other usenet
    groups do that and I have found it to be very helpful.

    or, perhaps just date it a month in advance so it always stays at the top of
    the list. then it would only have to be posted once a month.

    - NuTs

    Nut Cracker, Sep 9, 2006
  11. I do. It's in my signature on every post - it's my blog address, which
    includes links to all sorts of things I and others have written.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 9, 2006