newbie question on output from Cisco 2600

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Tim Coates, Feb 17, 2005.

  1. Tim Coates

    Tim Coates Guest

    Hi,

    We have a Cisco 2600 router that forwards ip traffic to a callmanager
    application (our 'ISP' located) in another state - this include VOIP.
    What we would like to do is monitor/manage/audit voice calls going out
    through the router.

    One person that we spoke to suggested sniffing each packet - but that
    seems a little extreme.

    Is it possible to setup a Cisco 2600 router so that we can see what
    calls are going over the Internet? If this is possible, how? Would we
    require a RADIUS accounting server?

    Please forgive my total ignorance. I would appreciate any information
    (references to documentation?) to assist in configuring the router to
    output this information.

    Thanks in advance,
    Tim
    Tim Coates, Feb 17, 2005

  2. Tim Coates

    Ivan Ostreš Guest

    In article <xn0Rd.164685$>, tc@rms-
    telecomms.com says...
    > Is it possible to setup a Cisco 2600 router so that we can see what
    > calls are going over the Internet? If this is possible, how? Would we
    > require a RADIUS accounting server?
    >
    > Please forgive my total ignorance. I would appreciate any information
    > (references to documentation?) to assist in configuring the router to
    > output this information.

    Is your router a VoIP gateway? (have a Voice port and ethernet port?)

    --
    -Ivan.

    Ivan Ostreš, Feb 17, 2005

  3. Tim Coates

    Merv Guest

    look at NETFOW accouting
    Merv, Feb 17, 2005
  4. Tim Coates

    Merv Guest

    NETFLOW
    Merv, Feb 17, 2005
  5. Tim Coates

    Ivan Ostreš Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > In article <xn0Rd.164685$>, tc@rms-
    > telecomms.com says...
    > > Is it possible to setup a Cisco 2600 router so that we can see what
    > > calls are going over the Internet? If this is possible, how? Would we
    > > require a RADIUS accounting server?
    > >
    > > Please forgive my total ignorance. I would appreciate any information
    > > (references to documentation?) to assist in configuring the router to
    > > output this information.
    > >

    > Is your router a VoIP gateway? (have a Voice port and ethernet port?)

    After better reading the OP, it looks like a router is a VoIP gateway
    and tracking can be made using radius.

    Another approach would be to enable specific debugs which would give you
    required call info and forward output to syslog server. There you can
    create some custom scripts that would pull out just the data you need.

    --
    -Ivan.

    Ivan Ostreš, Feb 17, 2005
  6. Tim Coates

    Tim Coates Guest

    Ivan Ostreš wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >
    >>In article <xn0Rd.164685$>, tc@rms-
    >>telecomms.com says...
    >>
    >>>Is it possible to setup a Cisco 2600 router so that we can see what
    >>>calls are going over the Internet? If this is possible, how? Would we
    >>>require a RADIUS accounting server?
    >>>
    >>>Please forgive my total ignorance. I would appreciate any information
    >>>(references to documentation?) to assist in configuring the router to
    >>>output this information.
    >>>

    >>Is your router a VoIP gateway? (have a Voice port and ethernet port?)
    >>

    > After better reading the OP, it looks like a router is a VoIP gateway
    > and tracking can be made using radius.
    >
    > Another approach would be to enable specific debugs which would give you
    > required call info and forward output to syslog server. There you can
    > create some custom scripts that would pull out just the data you need.

    Ivan,

    Here is the reply that I got from the provider:

    The 2600 router has only an Ethernet port, there is not voice port. The
    voice over IP traffic (which is primarily SCCP) only passes through the
    router and is prioritized. The router is not acting as a VoIP gateway.

    You would still think that accounting information could be output?

    Tim
    Tim Coates, Feb 25, 2005
  7. Tim Coates

    Ivan Ostreš Guest

    In article <toMTd.175609$>, tc@rms-
    telecomms.com says...
    > Ivan,
    >
    > Here is the reply that I got from the provider:
    >
    > The 2600 router has only an Ethernet port, there is not voice port. The
    > voice over IP traffic (which is primarily SCCP) only passes through the
    > router and is prioritized. The router is not acting as a VoIP gateway.
    >
    > You would still think that accounting information could be output?

    No. Router is not doing any translation here (voice/ip) so you can't
    expect the wanted info using radius.

    The only thing I can think of is using netflow which will give you a
    traffic statistics which may be (or not) what you really want.

    I still have to admit that I don't really understand why would you want
    to do such thing on a router that is used just for passing-by traffic.
    Why not do acccounting on VoIP gateway? If the router have just one
    interface, do you do a 'router on a stick'? Why?

    Sounds like a bad design...

    --
    -Ivan.

    Ivan Ostreš, Feb 26, 2005