    It may be something obvious but I'm stuck! Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Gary

    algae, Jul 31, 2003

  2. Hi Gary,

    << However I can't see the camera
    on my computer. I think it is supposed to appear as another removable drive? >>

    I have a Nikon 950. You might want to try one of the earlier versions of Nikon
    View (2, 3, 4?) and see if you make connection.

    Even better (as I do) use a card reader for the CF card from camera. It's much
    faster than using serial port exchange.

    I use mine with a Mac laptop and Gateway notebook. Card reader works great with
    both.

    Best,

    Conrad

    Conrad Weiler
    Camp Sherman, Oregon

    Conrad Weiler, Jul 31, 2003

  3. algae wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > I am borrowing a Coolpix 950 from a friend. I installed Nikon View 6 and
    > have the camera connected via serial port. However I can't see the cameral
    > on my computer. I think it is supposed to appear as another removable drive?
    > It may be something obvious but I'm stuck! Any help would be appreciated.

    I don't think the 950 supports being seen as an external hard drive. My
    990 did not do this.

    Do as the other poster suggested. Get a CF card reader. They are
    cheap, cheap, cheap and you will get much faster transfer times than
    through serial.

    Andrew McDonald, Jul 31, 2003
  4. algae

    MarkH Guest

    "algae" <> wrote in

    > Hi all,
    > I am borrowing a Coolpix 950 from a friend. I installed Nikon View 6
    > and have the camera connected via serial port. However I can't see the
    > cameral on my computer. I think it is supposed to appear as another
    > removable drive? It may be something obvious but I'm stuck! Any help
    > would be appreciated. Thanks

    I used one of these cameras for over 4 years and there are still plenty of
    pic from it on my web site.

    When I first got it I took about 18 pics which filled the 8MB card, then I
    used the serial cable to transfer the images to my PC. That was the only
    time I ever used the serial cable to transfer images. It took about 15min
    for only 8MB!

    Card readers are cheap and compared to a serial cable they are staggeringly
    fast.

    Don’t waste your time trying to get the serial to work, as soon as you do
    you will realise that you do not want to use it anyway. Save time and get
    a card reader now.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"

    MarkH, Jul 31, 2003
  5. algae

    Don Wiss Guest

    On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 13:12:04 GMT, "algae" <> wrote:

    >I am borrowing a Coolpix 950 from a friend. I installed Nikon View 6 and
    >have the camera connected via serial port. However I can't see the cameral
    >on my computer. I think it is supposed to appear as another removable drive?
    >It may be something obvious but I'm stuck! Any help would be appreciated.

    Get a card reader! Now I am aware that others have made this suggestion.
    And it has even been pointed out how cheap they are. But I'll add a link to
    make it easy for you:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=&submit=Go&description=imagemate

    Only $19, and it reads both CompactFlash and SmartMedia!

    The CompactFlash only version got so cheap that it doesn't pay to sell it
    by e-mail, but you may still find it in a retail store.

    And here are the new faster models:
    http://www.sandisk.com/consumer/sng_usb2.asp

    And then this one, but I've read that it has problems:
    http://www.sandisk.com/consumer/sixinone.asp

    Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

    Don Wiss, Aug 1, 2003
  6. algae

    Logan McMinn Guest

    Cheap (and better) as they are, I suspect you may not want to pay for a
    card reader if you are only borrowing the camera for a short while.

    Before you do, I believe that you have to start and run Nikon View as
    an application. Then it should look for the camera and let you
    transfer the files to your computer. The camera may not show up as a
    device on your desktop. I installed it on My Macintosh ( a couple of
    years ago, so my memory is a little fuzzy, and it may have been version
    5. I soon switched to a card reader and haven't used it since.), and
    that's the way it worked for me at the time. It's worth a try,
    anyway, before spending money on a card reader.

    Logan McMinn, Aug 1, 2003
  7. algae

    algae Guest

    Thanks all. I hear what you are saying about the card reader but this only
    involves transferring 2 photos and I'm done with the camera! Logan I have
    run Nikon View as an app but I still can't see my photos.
    Gary

    algae, Aug 1, 2003
  8. algae

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 03:39:27 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "algae"
    <> wrote:

    >Thanks all. I hear what you are saying about the card reader but this only
    >involves transferring 2 photos and I'm done with the camera! Logan I have
    >run Nikon View as an app but I still can't see my photos.
    >Gary

    NV6 does not support serial connections!

    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://members.cox.net/egruf
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam

    Ed Ruf, Aug 1, 2003
  9. algae

    algae Guest

    Thanks Ed. Which version does support it?
    Thx
    Gary

    algae, Aug 1, 2003
  10. algae

    algae Guest

    Btw I am running Win XP Pro.
    G.

    algae, Aug 1, 2003
  11. algae

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 13:18:21 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "algae"
    <> wrote:

    >Thanks Ed. Which version does support it?

    From what I can tell, Version 3 was the last to support serial connections.

    Ed Ruf, Aug 1, 2003