    Included memory 16MB internal"

    I have NO IDEA what that means! How many pics can I expect to store on this
    camera at one time? Thanks a lot!
    GameFan72, Sep 9, 2004

  2. GameFan72

    Carrigman Guest

    There is such a wide range of digital cameras available now your best bet
    would be to check out the various review sites before making up your mind.

    Here is a link to Steves Digicams for the DX6490:

    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/dx6490_pg5.html

    It seems to be a decent camera. (The full review should answer all your
    questions).

    As regards getting your pics developed: you can bring your memory card
    along to the store and they will be able to produce prints from that. Some
    stores (e.g. Wal Mart in the US, Boots and Jessops in the UK and Ireland ,
    and a host of others) have self service machines whereby you put in your
    card, select the pictures you want printed, make some basic changes and get
    your 6x4 prints there and then.

    A better option, if you've got a CD Writer, would be to tweak the pictures
    on your PC first (adjust the contrast, enhance the color, sharpen them a
    bit, discard unwanted bits, etc), burn them on to a CD and bring the CD
    along to the store. That is what I do and I get really nice prints.

    Have fun.

    John,
    Ireland

    "GameFan72" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, Sorry for such a total newbie question, but...
    > I am in the market for a digital camera that is under $500. And I keep

    coming
    > back to the Kodak EasyShare DX6490. The main reason being is the 10X

    zoom.
    > Also, the 4 megapixel sounds pretty respectable. So, is this a good

    camera to
    > go with? Also, I am not really interested in making my own prints, but

    rather,
    > having them developed by a regular photo developing place. What the heck

    would
    > I need to bring to the place to get my pics developed? The description

    reads:

    Carrigman, Sep 9, 2004

  3. I suggest looking at the Canon S1 IS. It is a generally similar camera with
    some important differences. The Canon 10X zoom lens has an optical image
    stabilizer. As far as I'm concerned, anything above 5X zoom needs help to
    stabilize the image, and an optical image stabilizer is the best. Many
    people prefer the standard AA batteries used by the Canon, as well as the CF
    storage.

    http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=144&modelid=9824&sa=true

    You can't go wrong with a camera that uses Secure Data (SD) or Compact Flash
    (CF). Any shop that prints your digital photos will have a reader for that.
    The 16MB of internal memory of the Kodak is pretty useless.

    Bye.

    David Sommers, Sep 9, 2004
  4. David Sommers wrote:

    > I suggest looking at the Canon S1 IS. It is a generally similar camera with
    > some important differences. The Canon 10X zoom lens has an optical image
    > stabilizer. As far as I'm concerned, anything above 5X zoom needs help to
    > stabilize the image, and an optical image stabilizer is the best. Many
    > people prefer the standard AA batteries used by the Canon, as well as the CF
    > storage.
    >
    > http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=144&modelid=9824&sa=true
    >
    > You can't go wrong with a camera that uses Secure Data (SD) or Compact Flash
    > (CF). Any shop that prints your digital photos will have a reader for that.
    > The 16MB of internal memory of the Kodak is pretty useless.

    Not when you consider that many images are under 500k in size, thanks to Kodak's
    JPEG compression scheme. My images range from 200k to 2MB depending on content.
    There is no way to choose a different level of compression.

    --
    Ben Thomas
    given nor endorsed by it.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?BenOne=A9?=, Sep 9, 2004
  5. GameFan72

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Game,

    I can appreciate your interest and am sure you will be well served by the
    DX6490 camera. The prices are great just now as well. The terms mean that
    the camera has 16 megabytes of storage built into it. It will also accept
    the newest type of media or memory card - SD (Secure Digital) or MMC (Multi
    Media Card). For me, I love the camera and have used it quite a bit. My
    favorite features are external flash (you can attach a flash unit to it to
    extend its flash range which is great for zoomed subjects). I also like the
    Electronic viewfinder. Same goes for the newer version of this camera, the
    DX7590. It is at just under $500. It has all the features but has a bit
    faster processor, a larger CCD, 32 meg internal, and other features as well.

    http://www.kodak.com/go/dx6490
    http://www.kodak.com/go/dx7590

    As to the number of pictures you can store, it depends primarily on the size
    of the card you are using and to some degree that subjects you shoot.

    For me, I also like the option of having my digital prints made directly
    online without ever going to the store. I send mine to Ofoto directly from
    my system, and having them delivered directly to my home a couple of days
    later. Great results and fast service. I can also share them online
    immediately after uploading.

    Anyway, I am glad to share with you, Game, if you think I can assist in the
    future, let me know. I am here if you need me.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Sep 9, 2004
  6. I'm sorry, but 16MB of internal memory for a 4MP camera is as useless as
    tits on a bull. On most weekends I might shoot anywhere from 50 to 450 shots
    with a 3.2MP or 4MP camera. What good would an extra 16MB be? Get real.

    Bye.

    David Sommers, Sep 10, 2004
  7. GameFan72

    GameFan72 Guest

    Thank you, Carrigman, David Sommers, and Ron Baird for the GREAT info! Greatly
    appreciated. This stuff is a lot to think about when you're a total newbie to
    digital cameras and I really want to make the right decision on this. Thanks
    again!
    GameFan72, Sep 10, 2004
  8. David Sommers wrote:

    > I'm sorry, but 16MB of internal memory for a 4MP camera is as useless as
    > tits on a bull. On most weekends I might shoot anywhere from 50 to 450 shots
    > with a 3.2MP or 4MP camera. What good would an extra 16MB be? Get real.

    Believe it or not, some people don't take nearly that many photos, and having a
    few spare MB can be enough to get them by until they have a chance to transfer
    the photos from their smallish memory card (64MB) to the computer and make space
    for more photos.

    --
    Ben Thomas
    given nor endorsed by it.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?BenOne=A9?=, Sep 10, 2004
  9. GameFan72

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Dave,

    That is a common amount of memory for internal use. I see it being included
    as a safety measure and for extra features, i.e. if your memory card is full
    or if something happens to it, you still have some shots left for those
    important moments. It is not intended to be the main source of storage. It
    can also be used for online reviews by the camera. Select images can be
    returned to the camera for display on your TV for example. For many, this
    is a useful feature.

    Talk to you soon, Dave,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Sep 10, 2004
  10. Yes, I know some people with digital cameras who do not have to download
    their pictures ever. One lady at work brought in her Canon A5 to show it to
    me. It had pictures on the CF card that were years old. Is that who Kodak
    wants to market to? Good luck to them. I carry over 1GB of storage with me
    when I go out with a camera or two. Right now I'm about to go visit my
    grandchildren I have two cameras that I'm wearing on my belt. My Panasonic
    SV-AV100 has a 1GB SD card and a spare 512MB SD card in its pouch. My Canon
    S400 has a 256MB CF card. That's photography.

    Bye.

    David Sommers, Sep 11, 2004