Newbie question(long)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Coleman E. Howard, Oct 30, 2003.

  1. I am new at this, I did have a Kodak 290, but busted it up. I like the
    viewfinder+LCD type digital cameras, and not rich.

    Here is what I did. I saw Fuji Finepix S5000 at Sears, for $499. I
    purchased it for, it came to $525 with tax. Start taking pics for a couple
    days, like it a lot. Okay, now for some small add ons.. Come to find out,
    the same camera on the net was listed as low as $287, to $525.. I felt like
    a fool having spent $525. Took the camera back to my local Sears store, and
    ask for some kind of adjustment. Sears refused, I reluctantly returned the
    camera and got a refund. If it was just $50 more, :I wouldn't have bothered,
    but we are talking over $150+ savings..

    Now, I started searching the internet for the best price, and started
    reading some of the reviews. Some weren't so good, and most were saying that
    the real low prices the venders would pressure you for high price
    accessories.

    So, I called J&R music world, were I get my audio/video stuff from, and have
    full confidence in.. They told me that the best they could do was
    $425+shipping on the Finepix S5000. I am looking at prices of $309 and $287
    from the other vendors. J&R told me that those vendors couldn't sell me a
    new camera that way, and the camera listed at the price was not new!

    Ok, I am a cheapskate, and I ride high speed motorcycles, so I am ready to
    take a chance. J&R would save me about $75 over the Sears price, but I was
    shooting for more. I called a couple of the low price mail order vendors,
    and true to form, they said they had the camera in stock, and it was new,
    but went on to ask me if I wanted this and that.. I said no.. then they
    changed their tune..

    The next day, I am a little more wiser, so I called some of the same
    vendor's back, and use another approach. I started off telling them that I
    am not interested in ANY accessories, I also told them that I understand
    that in order to sell their cameras at the real low price, they must sell
    accessories. I told them give me their BOTTOM LINE price on what they could
    sell me a brand new S5000 for, + shipping. One vendor who had listed at
    $$287, to me he could sell me a brand new camera, with no accessories for
    $340+$30 for shipping.. Total cost $370. I told them I would call back.
    Called another vendor who had their S5000 listed for $309, and asked them
    the same exact thing. He told me he could sell me a brand new in the box, US
    model Finepix S5000 for $340+$25 for shipping. I accepted.

    I hit the number. The camera arrived one week later exactly like the vender
    said. The camera was brand new in the box. After 5 days, the camera is
    perfect.. The vendor that I luckily choose happened to be a good one. Hello
    Camera.

    Now, for accessories, I found a 128mb FujiXD card for $66 locally. However,
    the daggone AC adapter is going for $50..

    Now, if the experts will tell me if I made a good mover here. I copied the
    model number of the Fuji Ac adapter, did a search, and came up with a low of
    $14.99. to a high of $57.. However, when I called the low 14.99 vendor, they
    told me it was a copy/generic of the Fuji adapter but works 100%
    compatible.. Okay, I took a chance on that, that hasn't come yet..

    Crazy about the little camera, and I haven't even begun to get into all the
    features this thing can do. I ride sportbikes, I wanted an Slr type digital,
    with a viewfinder, not too big, and not too expensive..

    Did I luck out with the low price mail order vendor, and will that generic
    adapter be okay for this camera?

    I think I luck out..

    Didn't mean to run it :)

    ceh
    Finepix s5000
    Coleman E. Howard, Oct 30, 2003

  2. Coleman E. Howard

    Azzz1588 Guest

    In article <bnqsjf$qc6$>, "Coleman E. Howard"
    <> writes:

    >Ok, I am a cheapskate, and I ride high speed motorcycles,

    Ya know... these two added together equal organ doner...

    Please tell me you have a REAL set of leathers ??
    (and a quality full face to go with them)

    If you can afford the bike, you can afford to do business with a
    real place that sells camera's
    That said, I'm glad it all worked out for you in the end.........

    Azzz1588, Oct 30, 2003

  3. Coleman E. Howard

    Xiaoding Guest

    Sears pays their reservist's employees FULL SALARY while they are in
    service, FOR THE DURATION. I wonder how much the cheapo people pay?
    Xiaoding, Oct 30, 2003
  4. Coleman E. Howard

    Ralph Mowery Guest

    > The next day, I am a little more wiser, so I called some of the same
    > vendor's back, and use another approach. I started off telling them that

    > am not interested in ANY accessories, I also told them that I understand
    > that in order to sell their cameras at the real low price, they must sell
    > accessories. I told them give me their BOTTOM LINE price on what they

    could
    > sell me a brand new S5000 for, + shipping. One vendor who had listed at
    > $$287, to me he could sell me a brand new camera, with no accessories for
    > $340+$30 for shipping.. Total cost $370. I told them I would call back.
    > Called another vendor who had their S5000 listed for $309, and asked them
    > the same exact thing. He told me he could sell me a brand new in the box,

    US
    > model Finepix S5000 for $340+$25 for shipping. I accepted.

    You should have looked here.
    http://www.shopharmony.com/

    I ordered a 2600 from them abut a year and a half ago and it was new and in
    the same box as in a local store. Others I know have ordered from them and
    had no problems. Arrived in less than a week.
    Ralph Mowery, Oct 30, 2003
  5. "Azzz1588" <> wrote in message
    > In article <bnqsjf$qc6$>, "Coleman E. Howard"
    > <> writes:
    >
    > >Ok, I am a cheapskate, and I ride high speed motorcycles,

    > Ya know... these two added together equal organ doner...
    >
    > Please tell me you have a REAL set of leathers ??
    > (and a quality full face to go with them)
    >
    > If you can afford the bike, you can afford to do business with a
    > real place that sells camera's
    > That said, I'm glad it all worked out for you in the end.........

    Oh, am I the only one on this newsgroup that tries to save money, and get
    good service/product too?????

    Well I be dam, I am in a selct group! :)

    Not bike, bikes, and one of them has hand made pipes from Japan, but what
    the f--k does that have to do with me trying to get a good price on a
    camera???

    The camera I got was real, and I am tickled pink.(big wide grin)

    Here are pics I took of my babies (yes I call them babies) with the Finepix
    s5000..

    http://users.erols.com/clbphoto/RC-28
    http://users.erols.com/clbphoto/gx-28

    The boots I wear cost over $250, so you can guess on the leathers.. By the
    way, I have 3 shoei helmets, and the shield on one cost about $70..

    Why you think I am try to save money? So, I can spend it on my first love,
    for riding around curves very swiftly! :)

    ceh
    Finepix s5000
    (63 & growing old gracefully)
    Coleman E. Howard, Oct 31, 2003
  6. "Xiaoding" <> wrote in message
    > Sears pays their reservist's employees FULL SALARY while they are in
    > service, FOR THE DURATION. I wonder how much the cheapo people pay?

    To tell the truth, I don't give a dam.. I sure am getting a lot of patriotic
    bullshit over asking about the price of camera.. A while back, I saw the
    people that thought like you, brandishing the slogan "buy American".. And
    now the same bullshiters are riding around in Jap stuff, looking at Jap
    video, listen to Jap sound, and even the dam Harley Davidson has shit on it
    made it Japan. I will stick with the cheapo people that, make a small
    profit, and let me save something.

    You go to Sears, give them your cash, I am spending mine! :)

    ceh
    Finepix s5000
    (63 & not dealing with a full deck)
    Coleman E. Howard, Oct 31, 2003
  7. "Ralph Mowery" <> wrote in message
    > > The next day, I am a little more wiser, so I called some of the same
    > > vendor's back, and use another approach. I started off telling them

    that
    > > am not interested in ANY accessories, I also told them that I understand
    > > that in order to sell their cameras at the real low price, they must

    sell
    > > accessories. I told them give me their BOTTOM LINE price on what they

    > could
    > > sell me a brand new S5000 for, + shipping. One vendor who had listed at
    > > $$287, to me he could sell me a brand new camera, with no accessories

    for
    > > $340+$30 for shipping.. Total cost $370. I told them I would call back.
    > > Called another vendor who had their S5000 listed for $309, and asked

    them
    > > the same exact thing. He told me he could sell me a brand new in the

    box,
    > US
    > > model Finepix S5000 for $340+$25 for shipping. I accepted.
    > >

    > You should have looked here.
    > http://www.shopharmony.com/
    >
    > I ordered a 2600 from them abut a year and a half ago and it was new and

    in
    > the same box as in a local store. Others I know have ordered from them

    and
    > had no problems. Arrived in less than a week.

    Sounds good, I am keeping a list of these companies, that offer knockout
    prices, and deliver the goods! Not all of them are like that.. I lucked out
    with Hello Camera, and I see you did too. Maybe down the line when my limbs
    get to old to sling across my sportbikes, I will take up photography as a
    hobby, and you can be sure I will be looking for some high-end stuff, at
    good prices.. :)

    Thanks for the reply,

    ceh
    Finepix s5000
    (63 & growing old gracefully)
    Coleman E. Howard, Oct 31, 2003
  8. Coleman E. Howard

    jean Guest

    Coleman,

    Go to alt.binaries.pictures.motorcycles.sportbikes you will find a great
    group of guys into bikes and just about anything else, including cameras.
    As long as you are cool and don't have a chip on your shoulder, you will be
    welcomed with open arms.

    Nice looking bikes BTW

    Good riding

    Jean

    jean, Oct 31, 2003
  9. Coleman E. Howard

    MikeWhy Guest

    "Coleman E. Howard" <> wrote in message
    > http://users.erols.com/clbphoto/gx-28
    >
    > The boots I wear cost over $250, so you can guess on the leathers.. By the
    > way, I have 3 shoei helmets, and the shield on one cost about $70..

    Nuthin at all wrong with squared off tires and mile wide chicken strips.
    Nuthin at all, and don't let anyone tell you different.

    > Why you think I am try to save money? So, I can spend it on my first love,
    > for riding around curves very swiftly! :)

    > (63 & growing old gracefully)

    Yup. Survival is a good thing.

    And if you ask me, you don't need a new camera. Just like the bikes: It's
    the man, not the gear.
    MikeWhy, Oct 31, 2003
  10. Coleman E. Howard

    Alan Terry Guest

    In article <bnse17$jdf$>, Coleman E. Howard
    <> writes

    >Here are pics I took of my babies (yes I call them babies) with the Finepix
    >s5000..
    >
    >http://users.erols.com/clbphoto/RC-28
    >http://users.erols.com/clbphoto/gx-28

    What's that yellow plastic bag doing in the Honda shot?

    The photos I would really like to see are ones taken from the bike when
    the pegs are down!

    --
    Alan ............
    Alan Terry, Oct 31, 2003
  11. "jean" <look_for@my_email.org> wrote in message
    > Coleman,
    >
    > Go to alt.binaries.pictures.motorcycles.sportbikes you will find a

    great
    > group of guys into bikes and just about anything else, including cameras.
    > As long as you are cool and don't have a chip on your shoulder, you will

    be
    > welcomed with open arms.
    >
    > Nice looking bikes BTW
    >
    > Good riding
    >
    > Jean

    hi Jean, most of the time when I am not riding, I hang out at the sportbike
    web sites. They have galleries galore! :)

    It just so happened that I dam near broke my neck taking a pic of my RC51
    while standing a weak lawn chair, on a wet floor in my garage. I got lucky,
    and the only thing I busted was my old trusty Kodak 290. So, that is why I
    was on the prowl/lookout for a new digital camera.

    I was just looking for some opinions..

    The bikes are sweet. I will be taking the RC51 tomorrow to Skyline drive in
    Va.. They have curves that are out of this world. And I might take the S5000
    with me too.

    Cheers,

    ceh
    Finepix s5000
    (63 & lovin every second)
    Coleman E. Howard, Nov 1, 2003
  12. "Alan Terry" <> wrote in message
    > In article <bnse17$jdf$>, Coleman E. Howard
    > <> writes
    >
    > >Here are pics I took of my babies (yes I call them babies) with the

    Finepix
    > >s5000..
    > >
    > >http://users.erols.com/clbphoto/RC-28
    > >http://users.erols.com/clbphoto/gx-28

    > What's that yellow plastic bag doing in the Honda shot?
    >
    > The photos I would really like to see are ones taken from the bike when
    > the pegs are down!
    >
    > --
    > Alan ............

    Alan, I don't know how, and wouldn't do it anyway, shoot some pictures while
    I am riding..

    All I can say is, I get down! :) Tomorrow I will be on route 211(Skyline
    Drive)in Va, and my RC51 will go comepletly sideways on off cambers curves.
    And when I said "sideways" I mean completly horizontal! :)

    At my age I don't have time to bullshit.. :)

    Last week I took some so-call fast riders who called themselves racers with
    me to Skyline drive. After the second curve I didn't see them anymore!!! :)

    By the way, the Finepix S5000 is the shit! :) I am just loving this camera.

    ceh
    Finepix s5000
    Coleman E. Howard, Nov 1, 2003
  13. "Coleman E. Howard" <> wrote in

    > "jean" <look_for@my_email.org> wrote in message
    >> Coleman,
    >>
    >> Go to alt.binaries.pictures.motorcycles.sportbikes you will
    >> find a

    > great
    >> group of guys into bikes and just about anything else, including
    >> cameras. As long as you are cool and don't have a chip on your
    >> shoulder, you will

    > be
    >> welcomed with open arms.
    >>
    >> Nice looking bikes BTW
    >>
    >> Good riding
    >>
    >> Jean
    >>

    > hi Jean, most of the time when I am not riding, I hang out at the
    > sportbike web sites. They have galleries galore! :)
    >
    > It just so happened that I dam near broke my neck taking a pic of
    > my RC51 while standing a weak lawn chair, on a wet floor in my
    > garage. I got lucky, and the only thing I busted was my old trusty
    > Kodak 290. So, that is why I was on the prowl/lookout for a new
    > digital camera.
    >
    > I was just looking for some opinions..
    >
    > The bikes are sweet. I will be taking the RC51 tomorrow to Skyline
    > drive in Va.. They have curves that are out of this world. And I
    > might take the S5000 with me too.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > ceh
    > Finepix s5000
    > (63 & lovin every second)

    Wish I could come too, I have a RC30.
    Mike Latondresse, Nov 1, 2003

    Coleman E. Howard, Nov 1, 2003
  15. "Mike Latondresse" <mikelat@no_spamshaw.ca> wrote in message >

    Wish I could come too, I have a RC30.

    Ahhh, you are charming me! (smile) They had an RC30 down at Eurobikes, in
    Manassas Va. You know all TRUE sportbikers drowl at the mouth at the mention
    of an RC30..On one of the web sites I frequent, somebody is trying to sell a
    cherry one for $12k..

    Anyway, my 86VFR700 was sweet..
    http://users.erols.com/clbphoto/v4.jpg

    And I put a number on a lot of riders with that old bike.

    Okay, since you can't come with me to the super sweet twisttes, I will put
    in an extra fly by for you! :) When I get to Skyline drive in a couple
    hours, the first decreasing radius I hit, I will take it a little lower for
    you! :)

    Life is sweet! :)

    Enjoy,

    ceh
    Finepix S5000

    P.S. I will be on my RC51
    Coleman E. Howard, Nov 1, 2003
  16. Coleman E. Howard

    Alan Terry Guest

    In article <bnv3i6$o4h$>, Coleman E. Howard
    <> writes

    >"Alan Terry" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <bnse17$jdf$>, Coleman E. Howard
    >> <> writes
    >>
    >> The photos I would really like to see are ones taken from the bike when
    >> the pegs are down!
    >>

    >Alan, I don't know how, and wouldn't do it anyway, shoot some pictures while
    >I am riding..

    I thought you might not go for it - how about someone taking your pic on
    a few bends?

    --
    Alan ............
    Alan Terry, Nov 1, 2003
  17. "Alan Terry" <> wrote in message
    > In article <bnv3i6$o4h$>, Coleman E. Howard
    > <> writes
    > >
    > >"Alan Terry" <> wrote in message
    > >> In article <bnse17$jdf$>, Coleman E. Howard
    > >> <> writes
    > >>
    > >> The photos I would really like to see are ones taken from the bike when
    > >> the pegs are down!
    > >>

    > >Alan, I don't know how, and wouldn't do it anyway, shoot some pictures

    while
    > >I am riding..

    > I thought you might not go for it - how about someone taking your pic on
    > a few bends?
    >
    > --

    I thought about that this Sat and Sunday when I was at Skyline Drive in Va..
    They have curves where you can take the sportbike to maximum lean, and
    beyond! ;) However, most of my buddies are following me, and nobody wants
    to take pics.. Maybe the next time..

    ceh
    Finepix S5000
    Coleman E. Howard, Nov 4, 2003