Newbie question.....help with choosing router.

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by ThreeCreeks, Sep 3, 2004.

  1. ThreeCreeks

    ThreeCreeks Guest

    Hi,

    I'm extremely new to Cisco Routers/switches but have been tossed into the
    fire! We are wanting to get an applicance that will serve as a router or
    switch. We are not hooking this applicance directly to our T1 lines, but
    are using Cat 5 cables.

    I need the router/switch to do NAT on one subnet, allow Static IPs on
    another subet, have our tech services area on a 3rd subnet, and then have
    our internal LAN on the 4th subnet. (multiple ethernet ports). I need good
    throughput as we are setting up a Wireless ISP and our customers will be
    routed through this to a switch and then to our Telco's Cisco 4700. It must
    be very configurable as well. I know squat about Linux, so if anyone knows
    of a Cisco configuration (or any configuration) that can be me started in
    the right direction, I'd really appreciate it!

    TIA!

    Andrew Brott
    Wireless Internet for Central Oregon

    ThreeCreeks, Sep 3, 2004

  2. ThreeCreeks

    RM Guest

    What is your price range and how many actual switch ports do you need total?
    Are you looking for 10/100/1000 or just 10/100 speeds?

    RM, Sep 5, 2004

  3. ThreeCreeks

    me Guest

    Price range is part of what I am trying to determine still, but I need at
    least 16 ports at 10/100/1000 speeds.

    me, Sep 7, 2004