    All my Local Area "status" shows is speed: 1.0MBps, but that's clearly
    not the case. Thanks.
    , May 14, 2006

  2. Peter Guest

    wrote:
    > I've just attempted to download a 2.5MB file using my Xtra broadband
    > connection and it took ten minutes. Is there any way that I can see
    > what my broadband connection speed is at any given time.

    I find gkrellm is pretty good for monitoring this sort of thing.

    HTH

    Peter
    Peter, May 14, 2006

  3. T'was the Sun, 14 May 2006 16:59:10 +1200 when I remembered
    saying something like this:

    www.nzdsl.co.nz/speedtest I think.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, May 14, 2006
  4. Guest

    On Sun, 14 May 2006 16:59:10 +1200, wrote:

    >I've just attempted to download a 2.5MB file using my Xtra broadband
    >connection and it took ten minutes. Is there any way that I can see
    >what my broadband connection speed is at any given time.
    >
    >All my Local Area "status" shows is speed: 1.0MBps, but that's clearly
    >not the case. Thanks.

    Try this site as its a great help..

    A must I would say.

    http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks
    , May 14, 2006
  5. Crash Guest

    Waylon Kenning wrote:
    > T'was the Sun, 14 May 2006 16:59:10 +1200 when I remembered
    > saying something like this:
    >
    >> I've just attempted to download a 2.5MB file using my Xtra broadband
    >> connection and it took ten minutes. Is there any way that I can see
    >> what my broadband connection speed is at any given time.

    > www.nzdsl.co.nz/speedtest I think.

    I am also a recent newbie here - and the following is the results of my
    research. Seaeagle might find this to be of value, I would appreciate
    clarification on anything said below that is incorrect.

    There are two things to consider - the speed of connection from your router to
    DSL hardware at the exchange, and the actual throughput available at any time.

    The speed of your connection can generally be found using the administration
    capabilities of your router. If you post make and model someone is bound to be
    able to tell you how to find this out. These speeds (down and up) set the
    absolute maximum that will ever be achieved and as a general rule they will be
    in excess of the maximums provided in your plan.

    The actual throughput is what is actually achievable at any given time. The
    nzdsl site Waylon posted provides a facility to register and if you do then a
    history of test results is kept for you - recording actual throughput.

    The other factor is this is the speed caps imposed by all ISPs in NZ for ADSL
    services (at least) - that is the maximum speeds included in the plan you use -
    Telecom (as the provider of the line to your home) limits the maximum speed to
    those quoted on your plan (such as 256 Kb/sec down, 128 up).

    So in summary the following applies in respect of download/upload speeds:

    - They will never exceed the connection speed reported by your router.
    - They should never exceed the speed of your plan.
    - Actual speed at any time is dependent on conditions.

    The highest speed should be the connection speed, and Actual speeds should be as
    close as possible to your plan speeds. Sadly there is usually a yawning gap
    between Plan and Actual speeds.

    HTH,
    Crash.
    Crash, May 14, 2006
  6. XPD Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I've just attempted to download a 2.5MB file using my Xtra broadband
    > connection and it took ten minutes. Is there any way that I can see
    > what my broadband connection speed is at any given time.
    >
    > All my Local Area "status" shows is speed: 1.0MBps, but that's clearly
    > not the case. Thanks.

    Speedtest sites :
    www.nzadsl.co.nz
    www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/

    You using a router or a modem ?
    Also depends what time of day etc..... atm with my ISP, trying to d/load at
    speed in the evening is a joke.... in the morning its fine (all the kids are
    at school etc).
    XPD, May 14, 2006
  7. Peter Guest

    Crash wrote:
    > So in summary the following applies in respect of download/upload speeds:
    > - They will never exceed the connection speed reported by your router.
    > - They should never exceed the speed of your plan.
    > - Actual speed at any time is dependent on conditions.
    > The highest speed should be the connection speed, and Actual speeds should
    > be as close as possible to your plan speeds. Sadly there is usually a
    > yawning gap between Plan and Actual speeds.

    Yes, my understanding is much the same.
    The conditions that actual speed depends on include;
    - traffic anywhere on the internet between you and the server
    - server speed and loading
    - malfunction of Telecom system

    It appears that the OP wanted to measure actual speed, which is why I
    suggested gkrellm. There are probably other tools, as well. The speedtest
    sites are ok to test speed capacity of your link, but they won't tell you
    the actual speed of a particular download.

    HTH

    Peter
    Peter, May 14, 2006

  8. >
    > It appears that the OP wanted to measure actual speed, which is why I
    > suggested gkrellm. There are probably other tools, as well. The
    > speedtest
    > sites are ok to test speed capacity of your link, but they won't tell you
    > the actual speed of a particular download.

    People must also take into account that overseas servers which do single
    threaded TCP download tests won't give you the correct full speed due to the
    latency outside New Zealand.

    If you are downloading anything it is better to use a multi-threaded
    download program like download acceleator/aget/whatever the best is for your
    OS. You'll find downloading at multiple streams will max your circuit out, a
    single TCP stream won't always.

    Also (even in NZ) latency can make a big difference.. 40ms vs 70ms over
    DSL.. the 70ms person may download slower/may not be able to use their
    entire bandwidth for tcp connections due to a number of factors.

    Thanks
    Craig
    Craig Whitmore, May 14, 2006
  9. On Sun, 14 May 2006 21:45:31 +1200, "XPD" <spam@xpd> magnanimously
    proffered:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> I've just attempted to download a 2.5MB file using my Xtra broadband
    >> connection and it took ten minutes. Is there any way that I can see
    >> what my broadband connection speed is at any given time.
    >>
    >> All my Local Area "status" shows is speed: 1.0MBps, but that's clearly
    >> not the case. Thanks.
    >>

    >Speedtest sites :
    >www.nzadsl.co.nz
    >www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/
    >
    >You using a router or a modem ?
    >Also depends what time of day etc..... atm with my ISP, trying to d/load at
    >speed in the evening is a joke.... in the morning its fine (all the kids are
    >at school etc).

    I'm using a DSE modem supplied by Xtra (free). I noticed a huge
    increase in download speeds towards the end of April. This is the
    first time I've had problems (except outages) since then. The download
    was late-morning over the weekend (kids not at school). Using one of
    the tests suggested the speed (1870 KBps) had increased considerably a
    few hours later.
    Robert Feigel, May 14, 2006
  10. 2tone Guest

    It would be interesting to see a trend profile for connection speeds

    heres mine today on xtras 3.5mbps / 128kbps plan via the nzdsl test
    site

    down 1259 kbps
    up 129 kbps

    ran the test three times all about the same
    2tone, May 18, 2006
  11. GraB Guest

    On 18 May 2006 15:46:51 -0700, "2tone" <> wrote:

    >It would be interesting to see a trend profile for connection speeds
    >
    >heres mine today on xtras 3.5mbps / 128kbps plan via the nzdsl test
    >site
    >
    >down 1259 kbps
    >up 129 kbps
    >
    >ran the test three times all about the same

    What will it be like at about 8.30pm?
    GraB, May 19, 2006
  12. Eric Stevens Guest

    On 18 May 2006 15:46:51 -0700, "2tone" <> wrote:

    >It would be interesting to see a trend profile for connection speeds
    >
    >heres mine today on xtras 3.5mbps / 128kbps plan via the nzdsl test
    >site
    >
    >down 1259 kbps
    >up 129 kbps
    >
    >ran the test three times all about the same

    Here are two.

    http://www.tcpiq.com/tcpIQ/LineSpeed/Default.aspx gives you long term
    data in more detail than you can imagine.

    http://www.dumeter.com/ tells you what is going on right now. Windows
    users will be surprised to see how mach traffic they have which they
    wouldn't otherwise know about.

    Eric Stevens
    Eric Stevens, May 19, 2006
  13. Crash Guest

    2tone wrote:
    > It would be interesting to see a trend profile for connection speeds
    >
    > heres mine today on xtras 3.5mbps / 128kbps plan via the nzdsl test
    > site
    >
    > down 1259 kbps
    > up 129 kbps
    >
    > ran the test three times all about the same

    You can do that if you register at www.nzdsl.co.nz then use their test while
    logged on. There is a history of all tests kept that you can view.

    Crash.
    Crash, May 19, 2006
  14. 2tone Guest

    Crash wrote:
    > 2tone wrote:
    > > It would be interesting to see a trend profile for connection speeds
    > >
    > > heres mine today on xtras 3.5mbps / 128kbps plan via the nzdsl test
    > > site
    > >
    > > down 1259 kbps
    > > up 129 kbps
    > >
    > > ran the test three times all about the same
    > >

    > You can do that if you register at www.nzdsl.co.nz then use their test while
    > logged on. There is a history of all tests kept that you can view.
    >
    > Crash.

    oK , registered now ..

    this time 12.05am early Sat morning

    down 1007 kbps