Newbie question about wireless routers

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jimmy, Sep 16, 2003.

  1. Jimmy

    Jimmy Guest

    Hello,

    Just purchased a Compaq X1000 laptop computer with built in wireless
    capabilities. My desktop computer (the one I'm typing on) is connected to
    the Internet by a cable modem. I understand that I can purchase a wireless
    cable router so I can use my laptop to access the Internet. Can anyone
    enlighten me, just a bit, on the process of this? One of my questions is:
    The cable service I'm using is Optimum Online where I have my own e-mail
    address and software for it. I rarely use it though because I mostly use
    AOL, but connect to AOL through the cable modem. Now on my laptop, do I
    need to install the Optimum Online software along with the AOL software? Or
    can I just load AOL on my laptop and connect through the wireless router to
    the cable modem?
    Also, are there better or worse routers out there, or are they pretty much
    the same? I know the wireless system on this new laptop is 802.11b, which
    I've read is one of the slower ones out there with all the new technology
    coming out now. I've read good things about the Microsoft router, but wanted
    to hear some different opinions if anyone had some.

    Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

    Jimmy, Sep 16, 2003

  2. Jimmy

    Fred Guest

    My opinion is that they do not work! Tried three different brands-neither
    could receive a signal through a standard sheetrock wall 10 feet away. You
    will notice in the commercials that they always show the connection outside.
    i.e no walls. I was so frustrated that I called in a "computer expert"--he
    couldn't get it to work either. Ended up running Ethernet cable and a
    router--works great.
    Fred Dwight

    Fred, Sep 16, 2003