    Anyone have a view on this? I'm thinking about the D100 and want to
    be sure she'll stay together.

    thx

    shipwreck, Dec 11, 2003

  2. Hi Shipwreck

    The D1* and D2* bodies are the tank-type bodies.

    The D100 is not. Solid, but no tank.

    Regards,

    Stan

    Stanley Krute, Dec 11, 2003

  3. shipwreck

    gsum Guest

    My D100 goes mountain biking and hill walking with
    me. So far, I've landed on it twice with no ill effects
    (to the camera). The D100 body will probably
    take much more punishment than most Nikon lenses.
    One word of warning though: If you live in a wet
    climate as I do, the weatherproofing of the D100
    and lenses is very poor and the camera soaks up
    water.

    Graham

    gsum, Dec 11, 2003
  4. shipwreck

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    shipwreck wrote:

    > 23 years ago I was given an FE for my 15th birthday. That camera has
    > been through hell and high water and keeps on ticking.
    >
    > I've heard...around town...that the Nikon Digital SLR's are not quite
    > as 'rough and tough' as once they had been known for. Granted the
    > electronics and such are much more sensitive, but what's the truth
    > about the body and that good 'ol "Tank" feeling you get when slip an
    > old Nikon into your hands?
    >
    > My F100 seems pretty sturdy, but I haven't dropped it yet. Granted
    > there's no real seal in the back but it seems ok.
    >
    > Anyone have a view on this? I'm thinking about the D100 and want to
    > be sure she'll stay together.

    I own both an F100 and a D100 (love'em both :) ), so
    I speak by direct experience (apparently not always the
    case on this NG... :) )

    Although most of the internals of the D100 are allegedly
    borrowed from the F100, the body is more like that of an
    N80 (which, BTW, is my second film body, so the comparison
    is, once again, with the real thing), but it's somehow sturdier
    because the chassis is stronger than that of the N80. So, as
    far as sturdiness goes, you can consider the D100 build as
    something between an N80 and an F100.

    My D100 has been "out in the real world" for a while
    now and never had any problem. It goes without saying
    that I'm not a "war photographer" and therefore I never
    tested it in ultra-harsh conditions.

    Hope it helps.

    Paolo Pizzi, Dec 11, 2003
  5. shipwreck

    Gavin Cato Guest

    You get the tool for the job. The D100 is not a Pro body so it's not going
    to be built like your F100. Think of it as a N80 with digital internals.

    The D1/D1h/D1x/D2h are an F5/F100 hybrid - i.e. built like bricks.

    Having said that, the D100 is pretty rugged - for what it is.

    Gav

    Gavin Cato, Dec 11, 2003
  6. shipwreck

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Jay Maisel on Nikon Reliability stated that when he had Fs, he kept 16
    bodies. Four in use, four backups, four in the shop, and four waiting to go
    to the shop. He had at the time the interview was conducted only two Nikon
    Digitals - one to use one for backup. Modern cameras are a lot more reliable
    than cameras based on metal linkages and springs that fail.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Dec 12, 2003
  7. shipwreck

    ajmburke

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    @Tony

    This is true, but one should remember that people didn't replace bodies nearly as frequently they do today. His cameras could have all been 10 years old, and I bet a bunch of Nikon D1 cameras that had been in constant use since 2000 would require frequent repair.

    ajmburke, Jun 2, 2010