Newbie question about Cisco VoIP and BRI

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Kant Pimpoh, Oct 20, 2003.

  1. Kant Pimpoh

    Kant Pimpoh Guest

    I am new to Cisco VoIP and I'm wondering how best (cheapest way) to
    configure a Cisco system for VoIP.

    Specifically, I need to be able to terminate 8 simultaneous calls over
    4 ISDN BRI interfaces.

    I have seen references to a VIC-2BRI card and an NM-4B card in the
    literature. Obviously, for economic reasons, the 4B card seems
    preferable, however I do not understand if it has DSPs capable of
    handling the VoIP Codecs. (I need to run G.723.1)

    Is it possible to run G.723.1 voice over the ISDN interfaces on an
    NM-4B-U card?

    Next question, how would I configure a system to run voice over 3 ISDN
    lines and data (WAN) connection over the last one?

    What is the minimum recommended router chassis to handle this config?

    Thanks for any assistance with this.

    Kant

    Kant Pimpoh, Oct 20, 2003