Newbie question about Bluetooth Services ???

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, Aug 3, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I want to connect my IPAQ Pocket PC to the internet via my WinXP desktop
    which is connected to a LAN. I can get both devices to "see" each other and
    establish a pairing. My problem is that there are no bluetooth Services
    listed for the Pocket PC in the Wireless Link part of control panel on the
    desktop.

    For the bluetooth connection I'm using the USB bluetooth transceiver that
    was included with my Microsoft Wireless Desktop (keyboard and mouse). I've
    read the transciever can handle up to 5 additional bluetooth devices.

    I assume the Wireless Desktop software only loaded drivers for the
    mouse/keyboard. Are there other drivers I need to install? Where do I find
    them? Or do I need to replace the transceiver with a bluetooth "adapter".
    Also- there are no "My Bluetooth Places" (or something to that effect) on my
    desktop and that I've seen in other help areas.

    Thanks!

    Guest, Aug 3, 2004

  2. If you have the "Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop for Bluetooth", then the
    transceiver should be sufficient to connect to almost any other Bluetooth
    device/service. However, the Bluetooth software that comes with the
    "Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop for Bluetooth" is pretty limited in the
    number of Bluetooth services (profiles) that it supports. In order to do
    more with your Bluetooth transceiver, you'll want to either install Service
    Packs 2 for Windows XP or acquire a non-Microsoft Bluetooth software package
    such as WIDCOMM.

    When you hear people talking about "My Bluetooth Places", they are referring
    to the WIDCOMM software. Service Pack 2 for Windows XP will give you a new
    icon in your Control Panel which is called "Bluetooth Devices". This will
    provide the same features that are currently available from the "Bluetooth"
    tab in your "Wireless Link" control panel applet, but will support a wider
    variety of Bluetooth services (profiles).

    --

    Patrick Sears
    Bluetooth PAN

    purposes only.