Newbie Quest. On 16:9 Formatting, etc.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Robert11, Jun 21, 2004.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello:

    Just got my first ever DVD player.

    A bit confused over formats.

    Playing a DVD from library, and it says on the DVD box that it was recorded
    in 16:9 format.
    When i set the player to this, all looks just great, and the Complete TV
    screen is filled up.

    However, was playing around some, and when i set the player to 3:2
    letterbox, I "think" I am
    picking up a bit more pix on the left and right, although there is a black
    no-pix band on the top and bottom.

    I can of course pick whichever suits me at the moment, but would like to
    learn a bit
    more about this formatting "stuff."

    So,

    What setting is correct for the player (the DVD box label of 16:9, or the
    3:2)
    What do I really want to do ? Why ?

    Might someone explain all of this, please ?

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Robert11, Jun 21, 2004

  2. Robert11 wrote:
    > Might someone explain all of this, please ?

    Here's a web page that lays it all out:

    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~leopold/Ld/FilmToVideo/

    --

    "If you examined a hundred people who had lost their faith in
    Christianity, I wonder how many of them would turn out to have reasoned

    --C.S. Lewis

    Grand Inquisitor, Jun 22, 2004

  3. Robert11

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Robert11" <> wrote in message
    > What setting is correct for the player (the DVD box label of 16:9, or

    the
    > 3:2)
    > What do I really want to do ? Why ?

    You set the DVD player for what type of television you have. You do not
    need to change it on a per-disc basis. You should set it once and forget
    it.

    If you have a widescreen TV, the correct setting for the DVD player is
    "16:9".

    If you have a non-widescreen TV, the correct setting for the DVD player
    is "4:3 Letterbox".

    Not all movies will fill your screen. Many of them are not supposed to.
    For an explanation, see here:

    www.widescreen.org

    Joshua Zyber, Jun 22, 2004
  4. Robert11

    John Savard Guest

    On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 18:48:16 -0400, "Robert11" <>
    wrote, in part:

    >Playing a DVD from library, and it says on the DVD box that it was recorded
    >in 16:9 format.
    >When i set the player to this, all looks just great, and the Complete TV
    >screen is filled up.

    OK. The setting on your DVD player doesn't have to be changed for each
    disk you play. The setting, instead, tells the player what kind of
    *TV* you have.

    If it's one of those widescreen TVs, where the screen itself is in the
    16:9 aspect ratio, you should set it to 16:9. If it's a regular TV,
    with a screen that is in the 4:3 aspect ratio, you should tell the DVD
    player that, too.

    What will happen if you set 16:9 on a regular TV is not that you will
    miss out on the left and right sides of the picture. You will still
    see the whole picture. But it will be badly distorted, with everything
    looking unnaturally tall and skinny.

    John Savard

    John Savard, Jun 22, 2004