Newbie PC DVD region question

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Geoff B, Mar 10, 2006.

  1. Geoff B

    Geoff B Guest

    Hello all.

    This has probably been asked lots of times, but forgive me please (I plead
    retention times on the server) . . .

    I'm just trying to find a free/inexpensive method of removing the DVD
    region-locking mechanism on my PC & laptop so that I can watch my Thai
    language films.
    I'm not bothered about copying them, just viewing.

    Where should I look, what is satisfactorily used, and can I install the same
    on my wife's computer to allow her to view UK DVDs in Thailand?

    It looks like a simple question, but I just know I'll get several differing
    suggestions!

    But how nice to have the wisdom of experience 8 )

    Many Thanks,

    _______
    Geoff B

    Geoff B, Mar 10, 2006

  2. Geoff B

    Guest

    Geoff B wrote:

    > Hello all.
    >
    > This has probably been asked lots of times, but forgive me please (I plead
    > retention times on the server) . . .
    >
    > I'm just trying to find a free/inexpensive method of removing the DVD
    > region-locking mechanism on my PC & laptop so that I can watch my Thai
    > language films.
    > I'm not bothered about copying them, just viewing.
    >
    > Where should I look, what is satisfactorily used, and can I install the same
    > on my wife's computer to allow her to view UK DVDs in Thailand?
    >
    > It looks like a simple question, but I just know I'll get several differing
    > suggestions!
    >
    > But how nice to have the wisdom of experience 8 )
    >
    > Many Thanks,

    http://faq.inmatrix.com/

    Doc

    , Mar 10, 2006

  3. Geoff B wrote:

    snip

    > I'm just trying to find a free/inexpensive method of removing the DVD
    > region-locking mechanism on my PC & laptop so that I can watch my Thai
    > language films.
    > I'm not bothered about copying them, just viewing.

    Ask for a "region free" player at one of the big stores. I have a Daiwa
    that is not only region free, but also plays Pal and NSTC dvds

    ///Owen\\\\\\, Mar 10, 2006
  4. Geoff B

    Geoff B Guest

    "///Owen\\\" suggested...
    > Geoff B wrote:
    >>

    > snip
    >>
    >> I'm just trying to find a free/inexpensive method of removing the DVD
    >> region-locking mechanism on my PC & laptop so that I can watch my Thai
    >> language films.
    >> I'm not bothered about copying them, just viewing.
    >>

    > Ask for a "region free" player at one of the big stores. I have a Daiwa
    > that is not only region free, but also plays Pal and NSTC dvds

    Thanks, but I have a DVD player that is region-free and macroision-removed -
    what I am after is a way to circumvent the "you can change region 5 times,
    then you're stuffed" thing on the computer - I don't see why I should put up
    with that when I'm playing legitimate discs.

    Cheers.

    _______
    Geoff B

    Geoff B, Mar 10, 2006
  5. Geoff B

    Bob Guest

    On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 17:47:58 +0000 (UTC), "Geoff B"
    <> wrote:

    >Thanks, but I have a DVD player that is region-free and macroision-removed -
    >what I am after is a way to circumvent the "you can change region 5 times,
    >then you're stuffed" thing on the computer - I don't see why I should put up
    >with that when I'm playing legitimate discs.

    Get an NEC 3550 and hacked firmware.

    --

    "To achieve One World Government it is necessary to remove
    from the minds of men their individualism their loyalty to

    Bob, Mar 10, 2006
  6. Geoff B

    Joe90 Guest

    "Geoff B" <> wrote:

    >I'm just trying to find a free/inexpensive method of removing the DVD
    >region-locking mechanism on my PC & laptop

    depends on your definition of inexpensive...
    http://dvdidle.com/dvd-region-free.htm

    Joe90, Mar 10, 2006
  7. Geoff B

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Give AnyDVD at try http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Mar 11, 2006
  8. Geoff B

    Steve Guest

    <> wrote:

    >"///Owen\\\" suggested...
    >> Geoff B wrote:
    >>>

    >> snip
    >>>
    >>> I'm just trying to find a free/inexpensive method of removing the DVD
    >>> region-locking mechanism on my PC & laptop so that I can watch my Thai
    >>> language films.
    >>> I'm not bothered about copying them, just viewing.
    >>>

    >> Ask for a "region free" player at one of the big stores. I have a Daiwa
    >> that is not only region free, but also plays Pal and NSTC dvds

    >Thanks, but I have a DVD player that is region-free and macroision-removed -
    >what I am after is a way to circumvent the "you can change region 5 times,
    >then you're stuffed" thing on the computer - I don't see why I should put up
    >with that when I'm playing legitimate discs.

    That message is provided by Windows, not the player hardware. You
    need DVDgenie from
    http://www.inmatrix.com/files/dvdgenie_download.shtml

    Also Region-free will work with almost ANY drive.

    .. Steve ..

    Steve, Mar 11, 2006
  9. Geoff B

    ivan Guest