    My question concerns the desktop. Do I have to connect it to the network
    each time I start it? Or does it know it's connected to the network.

    Thanks

    //// Owen \\\\\\\\, Nov 6, 2007

  2. ////  Owen \\\\\\\\

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-11-06, //// Owen \\\\ <> wrote:
    > I have a laptop wirelessly connected to a modem, and a desktop wired to the
    > modem.
    >
    > My question concerns the desktop. Do I have to connect it to the network
    > each time I start it? Or does it know it's connected to the network.
    >
    > Thanks

    That probably depends on the settings you make on the desktop computer.
    And on whether or not the ethernet cable is actually plugged in at both
    ends at the time, and the "modem" is running, of course.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Nov 6, 2007

  3. //// Owen \\\\ wrote:
    > I have a laptop wirelessly connected to a modem, and a desktop wired to
    > the modem.
    >
    > My question concerns the desktop. Do I have to connect it to the
    > network each time I start it?

    No

    > Or does it know it's connected to the
    > network.

    Yes

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 6, 2007
  4. "//// Owen \\\\" <> wrote in message
    >I have a laptop wirelessly connected to a modem, and a desktop wired to the
    >modem.
    >
    > My question concerns the desktop. Do I have to connect it to the network
    > each time I start it? Or does it know it's connected to the network.
    >
    > Thanks

    You've got a router in there too, don't you for the wireless connection?

    Joseph Wheeler, Nov 6, 2007