Newbie network problem. Please HELP!!

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by The Forgotten, Oct 11, 2006.

  1. Hello All,

    I am running a Belkin wireless g router with my desktop (desktop has belkin
    usb dongle thing to pick up wireless signal) no probs.

    Both my sons are using laptops one with another belkin dongle which works
    fine and the other which is a wireless packardbell easynote 1 series (model
    number R1935)

    I have enabled the wireless bit on the laptop and it either searches and
    spends ages `aquiring the network` or it fails to locate the network (even
    though it is less than 10ft away)

    I cannot for the life of me figure out the problem.

    Any suggestions?

    Also is it possible to link the 3 computers wirelessly to enable file share
    and acces?

    Ta in advance.

    The Forgotten, Oct 11, 2006

  2. Hi
    May be this can Help for the Wireless problem.
    File sharing is the same for Wire, or and Wireless. Any computer that can
    connected to the Router (Wire or Wireless) can be configured for File
    Sharing.
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    to be shared.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Oct 11, 2006

  3. "The Forgotten" <> wrote in message
    > Hello All,
    >
    > I am running a Belkin wireless g router with my desktop (desktop has
    > belkin usb dongle thing to pick up wireless signal) no probs.

    <snip>

    I solved it.. YAY!!!

    The Forgotten, Oct 14, 2006
  4. The Forgotten

    Mart Guest

    The Forgotten wrote :-

    > I solved it.. YAY!!!

    Well, that is good news and maybe you might care to share the details!
    Perhaps we can all benefit.

    Mart

    Mart, Oct 15, 2006
  5. "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
    > The Forgotten wrote :-
    >
    >> I solved it.. YAY!!!

    > Well, that is good news and maybe you might care to share the details!
    > Perhaps we can all benefit.
    >
    > Mart

    the belkin router has set ip gateways 192.165.x.x

    the fisrt two pcs (using belkin usb wireless thingies) were taking the first
    two ips...

    so i changed the ip add of the 3rd laptop and its dns gateways to look for
    the 3rd ip in the running order and set the gateways to the same as the
    routers. BINGO surf away..
    the only trouble is it is unsecured.. so i need to set it up with a pascode.
    when i tried initially it did not work for the 3rd laptop., but hey i will
    get round it

    The Forgotten, Oct 15, 2006
  6. The Forgotten

    Mart Guest

    Well done! - and thanks for sharing <g>

    Mart

    Mart, Oct 15, 2006
  7. The Forgotten

    P. Johnson Guest

    The Forgotten wrote:

    > I am running a Belkin wireless g router with my desktop (desktop has
    > belkin usb dongle thing to pick up wireless signal) no probs.

    [...]
    > I have enabled the wireless bit on the laptop and it either searches and
    > spends ages `aquiring the network` or it fails to locate the network (even
    > though it is less than 10ft away)

    Belkin makes absolutely terrible routers and is probably the source of your
    problem. I had similar problems at a friend's house with their Belkin
    router. Nothing would get it to work with my not-Belkin wifi card (theirs
    worked fine, they use a Belkin card). They also happened to have a spare
    Linksys WRT router laying around, though: Replacing the Belkin router
    caused the problem to go away immediately.

    P. Johnson, Oct 15, 2006
  8. In article <>, "P. Johnson" <>
    wrote:
    >The Forgotten wrote:
    >
    >> I am running a Belkin wireless g router with my desktop (desktop has
    >> belkin usb dongle thing to pick up wireless signal) no probs.

    >[...]
    >> I have enabled the wireless bit on the laptop and it either searches and
    >> spends ages `aquiring the network` or it fails to locate the network (even
    >> though it is less than 10ft away)

    >Belkin makes absolutely terrible routers and is probably the source of your
    >problem. I had similar problems at a friend's house with their Belkin
    >router. Nothing would get it to work with my not-Belkin wifi card (theirs
    >worked fine, they use a Belkin card). They also happened to have a spare
    >Linksys WRT router laying around, though: Replacing the Belkin router
    >caused the problem to go away immediately.

    IMHO, one bad Belkin router doesn't mean that there's a general
    problem with the brand.

    I've used a Belkin wireless router in my home network for years, and
    I've installed Belkin wireless routers in several of my consulting
    clients' networks. They've all worked fine with a variety of brands
    of WiFi cards.
    --
    Best Wishes,

    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Windows Networking
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    Steve Winograd's Networking FAQ

    Steve Winograd [MVP], Oct 16, 2006
  9. I've had a lot of problems with Belkin routers that disappeared when I
    went to D-Link or Linksys.

    Barry Watzman, Oct 19, 2006