Newbie needs help

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Martin Foster, May 30, 2005.

  1. Greetings All!

    I'm very new to all this VOIP stuff so please excuse the "dumb" questions
    :)

    All I'm interested in at the moment is using VOIP to call UK landline
    numbers.
    I'm running Windows 98SE, I have an on-board AC97 sound card and a
    Plantronics headset.

    I've tried Skype and it appears to work quite well.
    Incoming sound quality is very good and I'm told that the outgoing sound
    quality is also very good.
    The only thing I don't like about Skype so far is that calls are flagged
    as "unavailable" on the recipients caller display.

    I've also tried VOIPFone and I much prefer their software and I also have
    a caller-id number which overcomes the "unavailable" issue. Incoming sound
    quality is very good BUT everyone I've called so far can barely hear my
    voice. If I try the software voice test utility, it records what I say but
    I can barely hear that either. As I'm new to all this and as the VOIPFone
    software settings appear to be quite complex, I would appreciate some help
    with this.

    --
    Martin
    Martin Foster, May 30, 2005

  2. Martin Foster wrote:
    > Greetings All!
    >
    > I'm very new to all this VOIP stuff so please excuse the "dumb" questions
    > :)
    >
    > All I'm interested in at the moment is using VOIP to call UK landline
    > numbers.
    > I'm running Windows 98SE, I have an on-board AC97 sound card and a
    > Plantronics headset.
    >
    > I've tried Skype and it appears to work quite well.
    > Incoming sound quality is very good and I'm told that the outgoing sound
    > quality is also very good.
    > The only thing I don't like about Skype so far is that calls are flagged
    > as "unavailable" on the recipients caller display.
    >
    > I've also tried VOIPFone and I much prefer their software and I also have
    > a caller-id number which overcomes the "unavailable" issue. Incoming sound
    > quality is very good BUT everyone I've called so far can barely hear my
    > voice. If I try the software voice test utility, it records what I say but
    > I can barely hear that either. As I'm new to all this and as the VOIPFone
    > software settings appear to be quite complex, I would appreciate some help
    > with this.
    >
    > --
    > Martin

    Do you have a mic boost option for your soundcard this should solve
    your problem

    Mat
    Mathew Curtis, May 30, 2005

  3. On 30 May 2005 05:41:35 -0700, Mathew Curtis <>
    wrote:

    > Martin Foster wrote:
    >> Greetings All!
    >>
    >> I'm very new to all this VOIP stuff so please excuse the "dumb"
    >> questions
    >> :)
    >>
    >> All I'm interested in at the moment is using VOIP to call UK landline
    >> numbers.
    >> I'm running Windows 98SE, I have an on-board AC97 sound card and a
    >> Plantronics headset.
    >>
    >> I've tried Skype and it appears to work quite well.
    >> Incoming sound quality is very good and I'm told that the outgoing sound
    >> quality is also very good.
    >> The only thing I don't like about Skype so far is that calls are flagged
    >> as "unavailable" on the recipients caller display.
    >>
    >> I've also tried VOIPFone and I much prefer their software and I also
    >> have
    >> a caller-id number which overcomes the "unavailable" issue. Incoming
    >> sound
    >> quality is very good BUT everyone I've called so far can barely hear my
    >> voice. If I try the software voice test utility, it records what I say
    >> but
    >> I can barely hear that either. As I'm new to all this and as the
    >> VOIPFone
    >> software settings appear to be quite complex, I would appreciate some
    >> help
    >> with this.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Martin

    > Do you have a mic boost option for your soundcard this should solve
    > your problem

    No I don't but thanks anyway.

    --
    Martin
    Martin Foster, May 30, 2005
  4. Martin Foster

    Dave Gill Guest

    Martin Foster <> wrote:

    > I've also tried VOIPFone and I much prefer their software and I also have
    > a caller-id number which overcomes the "unavailable" issue. Incoming sound
    > quality is very good BUT everyone I've called so far can barely hear my
    > voice. If I try the software voice test utility, it records what I say but
    > I can barely hear that either. As I'm new to all this and as the VOIPFone
    > software settings appear to be quite complex, I would appreciate some help
    > with this.

    If you want to try VoIP out properly you really need to invest in an ATA
    (analogue telephone adapter) which lets you use an ordinary phone with
    your VoIP line. It has the added bonus that, so long as your cable
    modem and router are left on, you don't need to leave your computer on
    all the time. And they are compatible with DECT phones, so you don't
    even need to be in the same room as your computer.

    The Sipura range seem to be well liked (although you may want a little
    help to configure one). Pricewise: £50 - £90 depending on the model
    chosen.

    Dave Gill, May 30, 2005
  5. Dave Gill wrote:
    > Martin Foster <> wrote:
    >
    > > I've also tried VOIPFone and I much prefer their software and I also have
    > > a caller-id number which overcomes the "unavailable" issue. Incoming sound
    > > quality is very good BUT everyone I've called so far can barely hear my
    > > voice. If I try the software voice test utility, it records what I say but
    > > I can barely hear that either. As I'm new to all this and as the VOIPFone
    > > software settings appear to be quite complex, I would appreciate some help
    > > with this.

    > If you want to try VoIP out properly you really need to invest in an ATA
    > (analogue telephone adapter) which lets you use an ordinary phone with
    > your VoIP line. It has the added bonus that, so long as your cable
    > modem and router are left on, you don't need to leave your computer on
    > all the time. And they are compatible with DECT phones, so you don't
    > even need to be in the same room as your computer.
    >
    > The Sipura range seem to be well liked (although you may want a little
    > help to configure one). Pricewise: £50 - £90 depending on the model
    > chosen.
    >
    > --
    > The From address is a spam-trap, so all replies to the newsgroup please.
    >
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Be Alert, Your Country Needs More Lerts! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Well said Dave

    I have a snom 190 phone and a Sipura 3000 and it makes big big
    difference software phones are ok but you have to remember that they
    are reliant on your pc and all the hardware that goes inside

    Mat
    Mathew Curtis, May 30, 2005
  6. Martin Foster

    Martin² Guest

    Perhaps your microphone is not so good,
    you could try the Xten Lite softphone which has got sliders for both in and
    out volume control,
    easy to adjust while you are talking.
    Regards,
    Martin
    Martin², May 31, 2005
  7. On Tue, 31 May 2005 01:41:33 +0100, Martin² <> wrote:

    > Perhaps your microphone is not so good,

    That could be a possibility but it's a brand new headset.

    > you could try the Xten Lite softphone which has got sliders for both in
    > and out volume control, easy to adjust while you are talking.

    That's what I'm using and I have the volume set at maximum for the
    microphone.

    --
    Martin
    Martin Foster, May 31, 2005
  8. On the 30.05.05 at 14:55, Martin Foster <> wrote:

    > On 30 May 2005 05:41:35 -0700, Mathew Curtis <>
    > wrote:

    [..]
    >> Do you have a mic boost option for your soundcard this should solve
    >> your problem

    > No I don't but thanks anyway.

    Well actually, yes I do but it was buried deep within the sound manager
    utility and I hadn't seen it. I've enabled it and things appear to be much
    better now :)

    --
    Martin
    Martin Foster, May 31, 2005
  9. On the 30.05.05 at 15:31, Dave Gill <> wrote:

    > Martin Foster <> wrote:

    >> I've also tried VOIPFone and I much prefer their software and I also have
    >> a caller-id number which overcomes the "unavailable" issue. Incoming
    >> sound quality is very good BUT everyone I've called so far can barely
    >> hear my voice. If I try the software voice test utility, it records what
    >> I say but I can barely hear that either. As I'm new to all this and as
    >> the VOIPFone software settings appear to be quite complex, I would
    >> appreciate some help with this.

    > If you want to try VoIP out properly you really need to invest in an ATA
    > (analogue telephone adapter) which lets you use an ordinary phone with
    > your VoIP line. It has the added bonus that, so long as your cable
    > modem and router are left on, you don't need to leave your computer on
    > all the time. And they are compatible with DECT phones, so you don't
    > even need to be in the same room as your computer.

    > The Sipura range seem to be well liked (although you may want a little
    > help to configure one). Pricewise: £50 - £90 depending on the model
    > chosen.

    Many thanks for that extremely useful and interesting information but at
    the moment, I'm not in a position to shell out the necessary dosh. In the
    future, maybe?

    --
    Martin
    Martin Foster, May 31, 2005
  10. Martin Foster wrote:
    > On the 30.05.05 at 15:31, Dave Gill <> wrote:
    >
    > > Martin Foster <> wrote:

    > >> I've also tried VOIPFone and I much prefer their software and I also have
    > >> a caller-id number which overcomes the "unavailable" issue. Incoming
    > >> sound quality is very good BUT everyone I've called so far can barely
    > >> hear my voice. If I try the software voice test utility, it records what
    > >> I say but I can barely hear that either. As I'm new to all this and as
    > >> the VOIPFone software settings appear to be quite complex, I would
    > >> appreciate some help with this.

    > > If you want to try VoIP out properly you really need to invest in an ATA
    > > (analogue telephone adapter) which lets you use an ordinary phone with
    > > your VoIP line. It has the added bonus that, so long as your cable
    > > modem and router are left on, you don't need to leave your computer on
    > > all the time. And they are compatible with DECT phones, so you don't
    > > even need to be in the same room as your computer.

    > > The Sipura range seem to be well liked (although you may want a little
    > > help to configure one). Pricewise: £50 - £90 depending on the model
    > > chosen.

    > Many thanks for that extremely useful and interesting information but at
    > the moment, I'm not in a position to shell out the necessary dosh. In the
    > future, maybe?
    >
    > --
    > Martin

    I have no idea about the AC97 sound card is but you might want to try
    actually looking at your mike setting in windows and ensuring that they
    are actually turned right up I am not 100% sure but if I remember
    correctly this is a bug in 98SE

    Mat
    Mathew Curtis, May 31, 2005
  11. On the 31.05.05 at 05:35, Mathew Curtis <> wrote:

    > Martin Foster wrote:

    [..]
    >> Many thanks for that extremely useful and interesting information but at
    >> the moment, I'm not in a position to shell out the necessary dosh. In the
    >> future, maybe?

    > I have no idea about the AC97 sound card is but you might want to try
    > actually looking at your mike setting in windows and ensuring that they
    > are actually turned right up I am not 100% sure but if I remember
    > correctly this is a bug in 98SE

    The problem is solved now thanks, it was the "hidden" mic boost setting.

    --
    Martin
    Martin Foster, May 31, 2005
  12. Martin Foster wrote:
    > On the 31.05.05 at 05:35, Mathew Curtis <> wrote:
    >
    > > Martin Foster wrote:

    > [..]
    > >> Many thanks for that extremely useful and interesting information but at
    > >> the moment, I'm not in a position to shell out the necessary dosh. In the
    > >> future, maybe?

    > > I have no idea about the AC97 sound card is but you might want to try
    > > actually looking at your mike setting in windows and ensuring that they
    > > are actually turned right up I am not 100% sure but if I remember
    > > correctly this is a bug in 98SE

    > The problem is solved now thanks, it was the "hidden" mic boost setting.
    >
    > --
    > Martin

    ahhh ha :)

    Mat