    up files from the desktops.

    Am I being stupid? This should be easy, right?

    Thanks!
    =?Utf-8?B?U1JT?=, Oct 17, 2006

  2. Hi
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    to be shared.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Oct 17, 2006

  3. Yes, it should be easy. If HP has not altered the default Windows settings,
    you should be able to simply join the laptop to the workgroup and if the
    Windows Firewall is enabled, check the box to enable an exception for File
    and Printer Sharing - Done. EXCEPT - just about every new laptop comes with
    Norton, McAfee or some other third party security software. Usually the
    default configuration for these products is to block everything except the
    Internet. You will have to consult your manual/help files to determine how
    to enable networking with these products.

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    Doug Sherman [MVP], Oct 17, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?U1JT?=

    David Hettel Guest

    You'll need to open Network Connections, here you should see icons for your
    NICs (Network Interface Cards) on your wireless card, right click on it and
    then click on properties. In the new window that opens you should see,
    "Client for Microsoft Networks" this must be checked. Scroll down until you
    see Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) select this by clicking on it, and then click
    on properties.

    On the new window (under General tab) "Obtain an IP address automatically"
    should be checked. As should "Obtain DNS server address automatically" Click
    "OK" window will close.

    Clicked on the Advanced tab at the top of the Wireless Network Connection
    Properties window, then under Windows Firewall click on Settings...

    On the General tab "On (recommended)" should be checked.
    On the Exceptions tab you should see, File and Printer Sharing checked
    Click "OK" window closes.

    If the Desktops are running Windows XP Pro, you'll need to add the User name
    and account password for the laptop to the Desktop users. And you'll need to
    click on the folders you are sharing and permissions, and add the laptop
    user to the permission list and also under the Security tab.

    How to set up a home network -
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/homenet.mspx

    David Hettel

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    confers no rights

    David Hettel, Oct 17, 2006
  5. Thank you Jack, Doug and David!

    I'll give these suggestions a try tonight and let you know.

    Wish me luck..........

    =?Utf-8?B?U1JT?=, Oct 17, 2006
  6. Thanks guys!
    Network is up and running!!!!!!

    =?Utf-8?B?U1JT?=, Oct 18, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?U1JT?=

    David Hettel Guest

    You are more than welcome. Glad you got it up and running. :)

    David Hettel, Oct 18, 2006