    to keep the price under $200 (I don't mind shopping on EBAY or elsewhere
    online).

    Mel

    MB, Sep 12, 2004

  2. MB

    Atreju Guest

    On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 16:45:02 -0400, "MB" <>
    wrote:

    >I have a Dell Dim 2400 basic system.
    >
    >Up to now I have always used a 35 mm camera but I am thinking of finally
    >getting a digital camera. I just want to take good quality home-type
    >pictures. From my reading, it looks like a 4 megapixel camera would be more
    >than adequate. Is this true??

    For simple "home-type" pictures, if you mean things like family and
    vacations, which you will print on 5x7 at most, then even 3.2 mpxl
    would be enough.

    >Are there any recommendations, given my system. Oh, I would like to be able
    >to keep the price under $200 (I don't mind shopping on EBAY or elsewhere
    >online).

    As far as I've seen, you're not going to see a 4 mpxl camera under
    $200 unless
    1) it is used
    2) it is a terrible camera

    However, you should be able to find a 3.2 mpxl for around that price.
    Perhaps a bit above $200. I recommend looking into the Canon A75 to
    start. There are plenty others as well which are decent cameras.

    ---Atreju---

    Atreju, Sep 12, 2004

  3. Careful shopping for a refurb might get a such a camera in that price
    range...if you are patient.

    Gene Palmiter, Sep 12, 2004
  4. MB

    Nostrobino Guest

    "MB" <> wrote in message
    >I have a Dell Dim 2400 basic system.
    >
    > Up to now I have always used a 35 mm camera but I am thinking of finally
    > getting a digital camera. I just want to take good quality home-type
    > pictures. From my reading, it looks like a 4 megapixel camera would be
    > more than adequate. Is this true??

    Sure. Four megapixels is plenty for making nice, sharp 8 x 10 prints or even
    a bit larger than that. As for making the 4 x 6 prints that most people
    actually make most of the time, it's more than enough.

    > Are there any recommendations, given my system. Oh, I would like to be
    > able to keep the price under $200 (I don't mind shopping on EBAY or
    > elsewhere online).

    If you can go just a little higher, Buy.com is selling the Minolta DiMAGE
    S414 for $219.99 with free shipping. This is an excellent 4-megapixel
    camera, just recently discontinued, at a very good price. And Buy.com is
    100$ safe and reliable to deal with in my considerable experience with them.

    http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=90122391&loc=111&sp=1

    You can find a very full and complete review of the S414 here:

    http://steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/s414.html

    Or, I will soon be putting my S404 up for sale on eBay and it will almost
    certainly sell for less than $200 including shipping. This is also 4
    megapixels, the immediate predecessor of the S414 and about 99.9% identical
    to it. (I liked mine so much I decided to upgrade to the S414.) A review of
    the S404 is here:

    http://steves-digicams.com/2002_reviews/s404.html

    N.

    Nostrobino, Sep 12, 2004
  5. MB

    Matt Ion Guest

    MB wrote:

    > I have a Dell Dim 2400 basic system.
    >
    > Up to now I have always used a 35 mm camera but I am thinking of finally
    > getting a digital camera. I just want to take good quality home-type
    > pictures. From my reading, it looks like a 4 megapixel camera would be more
    > than adequate. Is this true??
    >
    > Are there any recommendations, given my system. Oh, I would like to be able
    > to keep the price under $200 (I don't mind shopping on EBAY or elsewhere
    > online).

    The one thing you'll find yourself using the fastest is your storage
    space. Your main upgrade should probably be a bigger hard drive, and/or
    a DVD burner to archive your files to.

    Why DVD and not CD? DVD burners can be had for under $100, CD-writers
    for $60 and up; DVD blanks for around 70-90 cents each in bulk, compared
    to 30-40 cents per disc for CD-R; but at 4.7GB per disc, DVD gives you
    some 6.7 times the storage of CD-R's 700MB, which helps make up the
    difference quickly.

    Matt Ion, Sep 13, 2004