    write is being written to a moron. (And yes, I promise to write it down this
    time!)

    This pathetic Newbie thanks you in advance for your patience and guidance.

    =?Utf-8?B?a29qYWtzNDM=?=, Nov 3, 2007

  2. "kojaks43" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I did not set up my network. I did enter the Network Key and promply
    >forgot
    > it.
    >
    > My computer works fine, however, a guest at my house wanted to connect to
    > my
    > wireless router. Without that Key, we could not.
    >
    > Is there a place somewhere on my computer that the Key can be read in the
    > clear? If so, what are the steps necessary to accomplish?
    >
    > If not, what can I do to reset the Network Key? Remember, whatever you
    > write is being written to a moron. (And yes, I promise to write it down
    > this
    > time!)
    >
    > This pathetic Newbie thanks you in advance for your patience and guidance.

    Sometimes you can access the wireless key on the router and it will be
    displayed in a readable format. Note that does not work with all routers.

    The easiest way may be to simply generate a new key and save off that
    information on a flash drive both for later use if you forget your key or if
    guests come over and you want to let them on your network.

    Vista...

    http://blogs.msdn.com/wndp/archive/2007/01/04/vista_5F00_networking_5F00_goodies_5F00_part1.aspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0406.mspx

    XP...

    If your wireless access point/router or clients do not support WCN you can
    easily copy-n-paste the network key by opening the flash drive and
    navigating to the "\Smrtntky\Wsetting.txt" file and copying the key to the
    wireless access point/router or client.

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...
    How to ask a question
    http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

    Sooner Al [MVP], Nov 3, 2007

  3. Sooner Al, if I go to Network Connections and click on Wireless Network, then
    Properties, it shows Network Key as several bold dots. Is that where you
    wanted me to try to find the key?
    If yes, then I will have to do the other steps. (with the links you
    provided, thanks) I'd prefer just to see the name in the clear, as I know my
    level of expertise will stumble over multiple steps. BUT if I have no choice
    as the name is just dots, then I have to do it. I just need to make sure I
    was looking in the right place for the name in the clear!!

    =?Utf-8?B?a29qYWtzNDM=?=, Nov 3, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?a29qYWtzNDM=?=

    Jim Guest

    "kojaks43" <> wrote in message
    > Sooner Al, if I go to Network Connections and click on Wireless Network,
    > then
    > Properties, it shows Network Key as several bold dots. Is that where you
    > wanted me to try to find the key?

    No, that is not what he meant (or posted). My router will display the key
    in plain text. My laptop does not.
    Thus, you must login to the router and find the place where it displays what
    the key should be.
    Bear in mind that even with the key in plain text, it can be difficult to
    get the key to match.
    And, some routers change the key from time to time anyway. Thus, it is easy
    to get this key wrong.
    Jim

    Jim, Nov 3, 2007
  5. Hi
    Not sure what the problem is.
    It takes less than 2 minutes to put a New pass phrase (key) in the Router.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 3, 2007
  6. Hi, Jack.

    Apparently the problem is, I do not know how to find the Router, much less
    change the passkey.
    The previous reply from Jim indicates I am doing it all wrong.

    Could some one please help me by telling me how do I find the Router. I
    assume in the Control Panel. But my first guess, per Jim, was wrong. What
    is the correct folder/icon I should click to open the Router?

    I am sorry I am so ignorant about this, I just do not know how to do this.

    =?Utf-8?B?a29qYWtzNDM=?=, Nov 3, 2007
  7. =?Utf-8?B?a29qYWtzNDM=?=

    Lem Guest

    kojaks43 wrote:
    > Hi, Jack.
    >
    > Apparently the problem is, I do not know how to find the Router, much less
    > change the passkey.
    > The previous reply from Jim indicates I am doing it all wrong.
    >
    > Could some one please help me by telling me how do I find the Router. I
    > assume in the Control Panel. But my first guess, per Jim, was wrong. What
    > is the correct folder/icon I should click to open the Router?
    >
    > I am sorry I am so ignorant about this, I just do not know how to do this.

    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> Not sure what the problem is.
    >> It takes less than 2 minutes to put a New pass phrase (key) in the Router.
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>
    >> "kojaks43" <> wrote in message
    >>> I did not set up my network. I did enter the Network Key and promply
    >>> forgot
    >>> it.
    >>>
    >>> My computer works fine, however, a guest at my house wanted to connect to
    >>> my
    >>> wireless router. Without that Key, we could not.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a place somewhere on my computer that the Key can be read in the
    >>> clear? If so, what are the steps necessary to accomplish?
    >>>
    >>> If not, what can I do to reset the Network Key? Remember, whatever you
    >>> write is being written to a moron. (And yes, I promise to write it down
    >>> this
    >>> time!)
    >>>
    >>> This pathetic Newbie thanks you in advance for your patience and guidance.

    with one or more antennas that is connected either directly to your DSL
    or cable wall connection or to a cable/DSL modem). You access the
    configuration utility of such devices (which is where you *may* find
    your passphrase "in clear") by opening a web browser and entering the IP
    address of your router.

    How do you find the IP address of the router? By opening a Command
    Prompt window (Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt) and
    typing "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) and press Enter. In the
    information that follows, look for a line like this:

    In your browser's address window, enter the number exactly as shown and
    click "Go" or press Enter.

    If you can't figure out what to do next, find out what kind of router
    you have and post back with its make and model.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    To the moon and back with 4KB of RAM and 72KB of ROM.

    Lem, Nov 3, 2007
  8. Thanks, Lem.
    I did as requested and got the"Default Gateway" that brought me to my ISP.
    That dd not seem to be right. So, I looked at the back of the Router. It said
    Netgear Range Max WPN824. AND it had http://192.168.1.1.
    When I went to that address it asked for a Username and Password. Nothing I
    entered worked.

    Not sure what the next step is.

    =?Utf-8?B?a29qYWtzNDM=?=, Nov 4, 2007
  9. kojaks43 wrote:
    > Thanks, Lem.
    > I did as requested and got the"Default Gateway" that brought me to my ISP.
    > That dd not seem to be right. So, I looked at the back of the Router. It said
    > Netgear Range Max WPN824. AND it had http://192.168.1.1.
    > When I went to that address it asked for a Username and Password. Nothing I
    > entered worked.
    >
    > Not sure what the next step is.

    <SNIP>

    Didi you try to enter the setup utility using the username "admin" and
    the password is usually "password" or "1234"?

    See if that helps...
    http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/RangeMaxWirelessRoutersandGateways/WPN824.aspx

    and:

    http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/WPN824v1.asp
    http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/N100651.asp

    Reset the router to factory defaults, so you can enter its setup utility
    using the username "admin" and the password is usually "password" or "1234".

    You will need to setup the internet connection and the wireless part
    again, but this time you'll know what your passwords are.

    Be sure sure you have all the documentation provided by your ISP and the
    router's manual before you do that, and be ready to call for help.

    HTH
    Lorenzo

    Lorenzo Sandini, Nov 4, 2007