Newbie looking for pointers

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Tom, Oct 14, 2004.

  1. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Hi,

    OK I am a complete newbie at this so apologies straight out.

    I have a desktop running WinXP SP2 connected to a cable modem, which I have
    just installed a Asus Wireless LAN 802.11g PCI card (WL-138G)

    I also have a laptop running Win2K and just brought a Asus WLAN Adapter
    802.11g USB (WL-167G)

    The laptop actually is my work laptop and connects to the my work wired
    Ethernet LAN normally, however I do have admin rights to change anything I
    like. I have also connected to other business networks in the past so I
    don't think there is anything wrong with the NIC or anything like that.

    There is something funny going on with my cable modem also as the internet
    connect works fine on the desktop but does not connect when I plug the cat5
    cable into my work laptop.
    I have also go a cross over cable that also does not communicate between the
    two computers (to do this I need to remove the cable modem from the
    desktop).

    I tried the setup recommended in the wireless equipment manual, but I think
    I need to setup the home network first.
    SO:
    can anyone explain to me or point me in the direction of a clear and
    straight forward tutorial regarding setting up a network (wired or wireless)
    so that I can try and get my head around whats going on and how I might be
    able to get the two computers to talk to each other. Simple stuff for most
    of you I'm sure like: IP addresses, DNS gateway, dynamic address allocations
    etc etc. I've heard all these terms before but don't really know what they
    mean.

    Thanks in advance for any help. I wait in eagerness to get this thing up
    and running.

    Cheers,

    Tom
    Tom, Oct 14, 2004

  2. Tom

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    May be this can Help.
    Wireless - Basic: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    If you need general information about installing and configuring Windows OS'
    Network this might help too.
    Installing Network: http://www.ezlan.net/installing.html

    File Sharing: http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Oct 14, 2004

  3. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Thanks Jack,

    I've now been able to set up the wired cross over cable network by setting
    fixed IP addresses on both machines (but need to go back to automatic when
    using the cable modem)

    Also had the Wifi network operating and successfully connected and surfed
    other non encrypted networks.

    I am now concerned about security. as I don't have a router I only use Zone
    Alarm, GRISoft AVG Antivirus and the windows firewall. Is this enough to 1)
    stop unauthorised people using my internet connection or resources and 2)
    stop people "seeing" what I am transmitting over the internet?

    Cheers,
    Tom

    Tom, Oct 17, 2004