Newbie looking for help.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Chuck, Oct 2, 2004.

  1. Chuck

    Chuck Guest

    I am in the market for a digita camera.

    I am looking at the
    Canon A85
    Nikon 4100
    4800
    Sony DSCP73
    Kodak DX6490
    Fujifilm S3100

    My question is, in the literature I have seen they all refer to 4.0 million
    "Pixels".
    Except the Fuji refers to "Effective Pixels"

    When I asked the salesman, his response was that its the same thing. Is this
    true.
    Are "Pixels" and "Effective Pixels" the same thing?

    Thanks
    Chuck, Oct 2, 2004

  2. Chuck

    Nostrobino Guest

    "Chuck" <> wrote in message
    >I am in the market for a digita camera.
    >
    > I am looking at the
    > Canon A85
    > Nikon 4100
    > 4800
    > Sony DSCP73
    > Kodak DX6490
    > Fujifilm S3100
    >
    > My question is, in the literature I have seen they all refer to 4.0
    > million
    > "Pixels".
    > Except the Fuji refers to "Effective Pixels"
    >
    > When I asked the salesman, his response was that its the same thing. Is
    > this
    > true.
    > Are "Pixels" and "Effective Pixels" the same thing?

    They should be. The CCD has slightly more pixels than are actually used (by
    any camera), and previouslly manufacturers would quote the TOTAL number of
    pixels, which somewhat exaggerated the resolution. For example, a camera
    maker might advertise "5.1 megapixels" which was the total pixel count,
    though only about 4.9 megapixels were actually used by the camera. Today
    such a camera is called 5.0 megapixels--still a slight exaggeration, but not
    enough to be concerned about. This is the usual practice--the effective
    pixel counts are always approximate and always rounded upward.

    Checking the specs for that Fuji S3100 just now, I see that it has a maximum
    resolution of 2272x1704 pixels--that's 3,871,488 pixels, or just under 3.9
    million effective pixels, not 4.0 million. The Canon A85 and Nikon 4100 have
    exactly that same resolution, as do most other "4.0 megapixel" cameras--my
    Minolta S414, for example. Kodak and some others use very slightly higher
    resolution on some of their 4.0 megapixel cameras, but still not really 4.0
    million pixels. The difference is too small to worry about, though.

    N.
    Nostrobino, Oct 2, 2004