Newbie ISO/shutter/lighting question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address, Aug 6, 2005.

  1. Before getting my digicam (Panasonic FZ5) I read an introductory book
    on the subject. The one recommendation that sticks out in my mind is...
    if in doubt, underexpose. You can always brighten an underexposed shot
    with almost any image-manipulation program. But if you get "CCD bloom"
    (what's referred to as "blown highlights" on this group) you can't
    salvage it, at least not easily.

    I want to try my hand at some photos of a "concert in the park" Sunday
    evening ( http://www.toronto.ca/special_events/serenades/events.htm ). I
    called the City of Toronto contact number, and they said cameras were
    OK. I took a few test shots today at the site. Daylight should be
    so-so at the 7:30 PM start, but deteriorating rapidly by the 9:00 PM
    finish. I found that I could easily get the underexposed shots up to
    snuff with a bit of tweaking in GIMP. The results were a lot better
    than what I got by going to ISO 200 and 400 (fuggedaboutit).

    My current plan is to take photos in Aperture-Priority mode, i.e. wide
    open, to maximize available light, at ISO 80 or 100. I'll also cut down
    the exposure by 1 full EV, to cut down blur. Unlike today, I assume
    there will be stage lighting on the bandshell. Any hints from people
    with experience in this type of situation?

    --
    Walter Dnes; my email address is *ALMOST* like
    Delete the "z" to get my real address. If that gets blocked, follow

    Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address, Aug 6, 2005