    Hopefully I can learn something here.

    Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself to you all.

    Larry

    Larry Miller, May 3, 2004

  2. Hi Larry. Report back after your have some impressions of your D70.

    Charles Schuler, May 3, 2004

  3. Larry Miller

    Paul Cassel Guest

    Larry Miller wrote:
    > Hi all, I just wanted to introduce myself. I've been away from
    > photography for more years that I want to count.

    I'm right there with you brother. I like the idea of shooting for free and
    seeing instant results, but the complexities of post shot processing
    (Paintshop Pro or Photoshop) are daunting indeed.

    The most difficult time I've had is with the differing characteristics of
    the digital whatever and film as far as lattitude is concerned. I now shoot
    only RAW (Canon 10D) to try and get the range that I am used to in color or
    B&W print film. I've had my camera since Christmas and still am playing with
    settings, etc.

    As a guy who used to get paid for shots using my old wooden 4 x 5 (inch)
    field camera, all the options on the 10D seem to me to be more confusion
    than help. I figure it'll take time and patience. A LOT of both.

    -paul

    Paul Cassel, May 4, 2004
  4. Larry Miller

    Don Stauffer Guest

    Unlike you, I never really liked the smell of hypo. Digital is great
    because I can now do all the tricks I used to do in darkroom, but
    without the smell, the cleanup, etc. And, there are some things that
    would have been extremely hard, if not impossible to do in darkroom that
    I can now do with some ease.

    I use PSP, and find it awesome. I can't afford photoshop, but don't do
    any pre-press work anyway, and PSP has all the tricks and stuff I need.

    --
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota

    Don Stauffer, May 4, 2004
  5. "Larry Miller" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all, I just wanted to introduce myself. I've been away from photography
    > for more years that I want to count. I'm an old darkroom person, "I love

    the
    > smell of Hypo in the morning," owning a Nikon F (non-Photomic) bought in
    > college in 1967 and an F3 w/ MD-4 motor drive plus several assorted

    lenses.
    > The one problem was that unlike up north, there is no place to put a dark
    > room here in Florida, so I just put my cameras away.
    >
    > Well I just joined the 21 century and took delivery of a Nikon D70 with a
    > 28-200 3.5 the end of March and now I wonder what took me so long. I also
    > just picked up a Nikon Coolscan V ED last Friday. As you can see, I've

    made
    > the plunge into digital in a big way. Now, if I only knew what I was

    doing.
    > I know film, I'm a photo journalism major, I just don't know digital.
    > Hopefully I can learn something here.
    >
    > Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself to you all.
    >
    > Larry

    Unlike you, I never found space to set up a darkroom. Now, much of the fun
    of photography for me is "darkroom operations" on my desktop. I've been
    using Paint Shop Pro since V.3, and it is now V.8. It has one-click
    operations to get started, and you can learn the rest as you go. There are
    discussion groups that can be helpful, and Web sites with directions; I like
    www.campratty.com best.

    Download the trial version from www.jasc.com. When you are ready to buy,
    shop for deals. You can often get it for half of list price.

    Marvin Margoshes, May 4, 2004
  6. Larry Miller

    Larry Miller Guest

    Don, I was kidding about liking the smell of Hypo.

    Larry Miller, May 4, 2004