Newbie introduction and question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Juan Moore Beer, Oct 23, 2007.

  1. Hi All,

    My real life name is Dan and I am new to your hobby and this newsgroup.

    I have been lurking for three or four weeks and have enjoyed much of what
    is here.

    My newbieness is in the digital arena. I have taken my share of snapshots
    but lost most in a recent flood, so I decided to go digital.

    I bought a Canon 400D and love it, though I have nothing to compare it to.

    A sample photo of the kind I like to take can be found here:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/15996225@N08/?saved=1

    Yeah, I know that the focus is not particularly sharp and the composition
    could be better, but I like it so there :)

    My question relates to editing. In general, I like to stick with what I
    shoot, but I guess I might like to improve an occasional special shot for
    printing.

    My kit came with Canon Digital Professional. Is that similar to the
    Photoshop products I keep reading about? I can't help thinking that
    Photoshop and related products offer much more functionality, but don't
    want to buy it if I don't need it.

    If different, is Photoshop Essentials the way to go for an amateur?

    Thanks for your help.

    Juan Moore Beer, Oct 23, 2007

  2. Juan Moore Beer

    Sparky Guest

    On Oct 23, 4:50 pm, "Juan Moore Beer" <> wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > My real life name is Dan and I am new to your hobby and this newsgroup.
    >
    > I have been lurking for three or four weeks and have enjoyed much of what
    > is here.
    >
    > My newbieness is in the digital arena. I have taken my share of snapshots
    > but lost most in a recent flood, so I decided to go digital.
    >
    > I bought a Canon 400D and love it, though I have nothing to compare it to.
    >
    > A sample photo of the kind I like to take can be found here:
    >
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/15996225@N08/?saved=1
    >
    > Yeah, I know that the focus is not particularly sharp and the composition
    > could be better, but I like it so there :)
    >
    > My question relates to editing. In general, I like to stick with what I
    > shoot, but I guess I might like to improve an occasional special shot for
    > printing.
    >
    > My kit came with Canon Digital Professional. Is that similar to the
    > Photoshop products I keep reading about? I can't help thinking that
    > Photoshop and related products offer much more functionality, but don't
    > want to buy it if I don't need it.
    >
    > If different, is Photoshop Essentials the way to go for an amateur?
    >
    > Thanks for your help.

    > RecGroups : the community-oriented newsreader :www.recgroups.com

    photoshop is really cool, if you know how to use it, but it can be
    useful even if you are just experimenting

    never used Canon Digital Professional, so i cant exactly tell you
    which is better

    Sparky, Oct 24, 2007

  3. Juan Moore Beer wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > My real life name is Dan and I am new to your hobby and this newsgroup.
    >
    > I have been lurking for three or four weeks and have enjoyed much of what
    > is here.

    Welcome! You must have a high tolerance for pests!

    > My question relates to editing. In general, I like to stick with what I
    > shoot, but I guess I might like to improve an occasional special shot for
    > printing.
    >
    > My kit came with Canon Digital Professional. Is that similar to the
    > Photoshop products I keep reading about? I can't help thinking that
    > Photoshop and related products offer much more functionality, but don't
    > want to buy it if I don't need it.
    >
    > If different, is Photoshop Essentials the way to go for an amateur?

    In short, yes. You can try it free, as well (as you can with the full
    version of PS and Lightroom.) I'd try 'em all and see what you like.

    --
    john mcwilliams

    John McWilliams, Oct 24, 2007
  4. Juan Moore Beer

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 16:38:20 -0700, Sparky <> wrote:
    : On Oct 23, 4:50 pm, "Juan Moore Beer" <> wrote:
    : > Hi All,
    : >
    : > _____________________________________________________________________
    : > RecGroups : the community-oriented newsreader :www.recgroups.com
    :
    : photoshop is really cool, if you know how to use it, but it can be
    : useful even if you are just experimenting
    :
    : never used Canon Digital Professional, so i cant exactly tell you
    : which is better

    I have used Digital Photo Professional, and I like it a lot (although my wife
    is pestering me to get Photoshop Elements for her birthday). The story on DPP
    is that it doesn't do very much, but what it does do, it does very well. My
    suggestion would be to learn to use DPP and only look elsewhere when you're
    pretty sure you've outgrown it. But be sure you have the latest version
    (3.0.2.6). I don't think you'll find it on the CD, so you'll have to go to
    Canon's Web site to get it.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Oct 24, 2007
  5. Juan Moore Beer

    Scott W Guest

    Juan Moore Beer wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > My real life name is Dan and I am new to your hobby and this newsgroup.
    >
    > I have been lurking for three or four weeks and have enjoyed much of what
    > is here.
    >
    > My newbieness is in the digital arena. I have taken my share of snapshots
    > but lost most in a recent flood, so I decided to go digital.
    >
    > I bought a Canon 400D and love it, though I have nothing to compare it to.
    >
    > A sample photo of the kind I like to take can be found here:
    >
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/15996225@N08/?saved=1
    >
    > Yeah, I know that the focus is not particularly sharp and the composition
    > could be better, but I like it so there :)
    >
    > My question relates to editing. In general, I like to stick with what I
    > shoot, but I guess I might like to improve an occasional special shot for
    > printing.
    >
    > My kit came with Canon Digital Professional. Is that similar to the
    > Photoshop products I keep reading about? I can't help thinking that
    > Photoshop and related products offer much more functionality, but don't
    > want to buy it if I don't need it.
    >
    > If different, is Photoshop Essentials the way to go for an amateur?

    I use Canon Digital Professional from time to time, don't really like it
    that much.

    I believe you meant to say Photoshop Elements not Essentials, if so
    Photoshop Elements is the main program I use for editing.

    I have thought about getting the full version of Photoshop, but for that
    price I can get a new lens, and I would rather have the new lens.

    Scott

    Scott W, Oct 24, 2007
  6. Juan Moore Beer

    Steven Guest

    "Juan Moore Beer" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > My real life name is Dan and I am new to your hobby and this newsgroup.
    >
    > I have been lurking for three or four weeks and have enjoyed much of what
    > is here.

    Hi Dan, you are a glutten for punishment hanging about here. Far too many
    folk not interested in photography and just want to snipe at each other.
    Have a look at www.ephotozine.com Great crowd and no abuse.

    S.

    Steven, Oct 24, 2007
  7. Juan Moore Beer

    ray Guest

    On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 15:50:45 -0700, Juan Moore Beer wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > My real life name is Dan and I am new to your hobby and this newsgroup.
    >
    > I have been lurking for three or four weeks and have enjoyed much of what
    > is here.
    >
    > My newbieness is in the digital arena. I have taken my share of snapshots
    > but lost most in a recent flood, so I decided to go digital.
    >
    > I bought a Canon 400D and love it, though I have nothing to compare it to.
    >
    > A sample photo of the kind I like to take can be found here:
    >
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/15996225@N08/?saved=1
    >
    > Yeah, I know that the focus is not particularly sharp and the composition
    > could be better, but I like it so there :)
    >
    > My question relates to editing. In general, I like to stick with what I
    > shoot, but I guess I might like to improve an occasional special shot for
    > printing.
    >
    > My kit came with Canon Digital Professional. Is that similar to the
    > Photoshop products I keep reading about? I can't help thinking that
    > Photoshop and related products offer much more functionality, but don't
    > want to buy it if I don't need it.

    Before you consider buying photoshop, I'd suggest you try GIMP which is
    available for free and offers a lot of the same functionality. I've found
    that by shooting RAW and doing basic manipulations in UFRAW (also free)
    things generally work out quite quickly and easily.

    ray, Oct 24, 2007
  8. Thanks to all. Your advice will help get me started.

    There is so much to learn and so little time!

    ----

    Juan Moore Beer, Oct 24, 2007
  9. Juan Moore Beer

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 09:20:33 -0600, ray <> wrote:
    : Before you consider buying photoshop, I'd suggest you try GIMP which is
    : available for free and offers a lot of the same functionality. I've found
    : that by shooting RAW and doing basic manipulations in UFRAW (also free)
    : things generally work out quite quickly and easily.

    Do those programs handle Canon .CR2 RAW mode correctly, including preserving
    Canon's idiosyncratic Exif data?

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Oct 27, 2007
  10. Juan Moore Beer

    ray Guest

    On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 09:18:25 -0400, Robert Coe wrote:

    > On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 09:20:33 -0600, ray <> wrote:
    > : Before you consider buying photoshop, I'd suggest you try GIMP which is
    > : available for free and offers a lot of the same functionality. I've found
    > : that by shooting RAW and doing basic manipulations in UFRAW (also free)
    > : things generally work out quite quickly and easily.
    >
    > Do those programs handle Canon .CR2 RAW mode correctly, including preserving
    > Canon's idiosyncratic Exif data?
    >
    > Bob

    Since I have a Kodak P850, I have no idea. You could check the ufraw
    and/or dcraw web sites.

    ray, Oct 27, 2007
  11. Robert Coe <> wrote:
    >On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 09:20:33 -0600, ray <> wrote:
    >: Before you consider buying photoshop, I'd suggest you try GIMP which is
    >: available for free and offers a lot of the same functionality. I've found
    >: that by shooting RAW and doing basic manipulations in UFRAW (also free)
    >: things generally work out quite quickly and easily.
    >
    >Do those programs handle Canon .CR2 RAW mode correctly, including preserving
    >Canon's idiosyncratic Exif data?

    I haven't looked to see if .CR2 specifically is
    supported, but given that UFRAW uses Dave Coffin's
    /dcraw/ code, it is safe to say that it works well.

    EXIF data might be a different problem though. Again, I
    haven't checked to see specifically what happens with
    Canon's data. It works well with Nikon EXIF data.

    However, I typically convert NEF data files to PPM or
    TIFF image files for editing, and only end up with a
    JPEG on rare occasions when a webpage or email is the
    intended target; and because the intermediate state
    doesn't support EXIF data, the final JPEG image has
    virtually none of the original data. For that it is
    easy enough to use /exiftool/ to do whatever sort of
    manipulation is useful.

    For example, I have one shell script which adds some
    specific comments, such as a copyright notice, to the
    EXIF data and at the same time verifies that the
    original data is still there, or finds the original .NEF
    file and adds all the EXIF data from it to whatever is
    there already.

    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

    Floyd L. Davidson, Oct 27, 2007
  12. Juan Moore Beer

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 09:18:25 -0400, Robert Coe wrote:

    > On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 09:20:33 -0600, ray <> wrote: : Before
    > you consider buying photoshop, I'd suggest you try GIMP which is :
    > available for free and offers a lot of the same functionality. I've
    > found : that by shooting RAW and doing basic manipulations in UFRAW
    > (also free) : things generally work out quite quickly and easily.
    >
    > Do those programs handle Canon .CR2 RAW mode correctly, including
    > preserving Canon's idiosyncratic Exif data?
    >
    > Bob

    They do.

    --
    Neil
    reverse ra and delete l

    Neil Ellwood, Oct 28, 2007
  13. Juan Moore Beer

    measekite Guest

    Gimp 2.4 has many features of the full Photoshop and it is free.&nbsp; There is a Windows version.&nbsp; It takes some learning.&nbsp; There is a good book by Apex Publishing.&nbsp; Make sure you get the new version of this book for 2.4.&nbsp; Both the book and Gimp 2.4 just came out.

    Scott W wrote: Juan Moore Beer wrote:
    Hi All,
    My real life name is Dan and I am new to your hobby and this newsgroup.

    I have been lurking for three or four weeks and have enjoyed much of what
    is here.

    My newbieness is in the digital arena.&nbsp; I have taken my share of snapshots
    but lost most in a recent flood, so I decided to go digital.

    I bought a Canon 400D and love it, though I have nothing to compare it to.

    A sample photo of the kind I like to take can be found here:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/15996225@N08/?saved=1

    Yeah, I know that the focus is not particularly sharp and the composition
    could be better, but I like it so there :)

    My question relates to editing.&nbsp; In general, I like to stick with what I
    shoot, but I guess I might like to improve an occasional special shot for
    printing.

    My kit came with Canon Digital Professional.&nbsp; Is that similar to the
    Photoshop products I keep reading about?&nbsp; I can't help thinking that

    measekite, Nov 9, 2007