[Newbie] How to configure communication between 2 switches ?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by siew@aldabra.com, Jul 8, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hello,

    I have just received 2 switches 3560G.
    I connect them together and assign an IP address to each other.
    SwitchLAN : 192.168.10.1 VLAN : 1
    SwitchDMZ : 192.168.19.1 VLAN : 1
    In the software Network Assistant, I can see the 2 switches and the
    link between both. But from a switch, I cannot ping the other switch.

    Do I need to configure a default gateway ?

    I haven't activated VLANs. Do I need to activate them ?

    Well the 2 switches don't want to communicate to each other !!

    I need your help.

    Many thanks,

    JP
    , Jul 8, 2005

  2. Chris Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have just received 2 switches 3560G.
    > I connect them together and assign an IP address to each other.
    > SwitchLAN : 192.168.10.1 VLAN : 1
    > SwitchDMZ : 192.168.19.1 VLAN : 1

    What's the netmask for both IP addresses?
    Chris, Jul 9, 2005

  3. jp Guest

    Re: How to configure communication between 2 switches ?

    Chris wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I have just received 2 switches 3560G.
    > > I connect them together and assign an IP address to each other.
    > > SwitchLAN : 192.168.10.1 VLAN : 1
    > > SwitchDMZ : 192.168.19.1 VLAN : 1

    > What's the netmask for both IP addresses?

    It's 255.255.255.0
    jp, Jul 10, 2005
  4. jp Guest

    Re: How to configure communication between 2 switches ?

    I need your help. Please
    jp, Jul 11, 2005
  5. Chris Guest

    "jp" <> wrote in message

    > Chris wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message
    >> > Hello,
    >> >
    >> > I have just received 2 switches 3560G.
    >> > I connect them together and assign an IP address to each other.
    >> > SwitchLAN : 192.168.10.1 VLAN : 1
    >> > SwitchDMZ : 192.168.19.1 VLAN : 1

    >> What's the netmask for both IP addresses?

    > It's 255.255.255.0

    Okay, so you've got one switch on 192.168.10.1 /24 and one switch on
    192.168.19.1 /24 and you can't ping from one to the other. Why do you think
    that is? Maybe it's because they are on different networks?

    Chris.
    Chris, Jul 11, 2005
  6. John Smith Guest

    Re: How to configure communication between 2 switches ?

    Chris, are you saying that you are not supposed to be able to ping an IP on
    a different network? Cuz I do it all the time.

    John Smith, Jul 11, 2005
  7. Chris Guest

    "John Smith" <> wrote in message
    > Chris, are you saying that you are not supposed to be able to ping an IP
    > on a different network? Cuz I do it all the time.

    He has two switches connected together on different networks. He has no
    layer three device so no, they won't be able to ping each other.

    Think of it this way. If you connected two PC's together via a cross over
    cable and put on on 192.168.10.1 /24 and the other on 192.168.19.1 /24,
    could you ping from one to the other? Of course not!

    Read the original post!

    Chris.
    Chris, Jul 11, 2005
  8. Rod Dorman Guest

    In article <>, Chris <chris@nospam> wrote:
    >Think of it this way. If you connected two PC's together via a cross
    >over cable and put on on 192.168.10.1 /24 and the other on
    >192.168.19.1 /24, could you ping from one to the other? Of course
    >not!

    Depends on what you have the default gateways set to.

    --
    -- Rod --
    rodd(at)polylogics(dot)com
    Rod Dorman, Jul 12, 2005
  9. Chris Guest

    "Rod Dorman" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, Chris <chris@nospam>
    > wrote:
    >>Think of it this way. If you connected two PC's together via a cross
    >>over cable and put on on 192.168.10.1 /24 and the other on
    >>192.168.19.1 /24, could you ping from one to the other? Of course
    >>not!

    > Depends on what you have the default gateways set to.
    >
    > --
    > -- Rod --
    > rodd(at)polylogics(dot)com

    If there were only two devices on two different networks then it wouldn't
    matter. What would you set the default gateway on the first PC to? There is
    no other device on the same network to use as a default gateway.

    Please read the original post. Two layer two devices on different networks
    can't ping each other over the switch to switch link. NO layer three routing
    device is present.

    <Switch-192.168.10.1 /24>------cross over -------<Switch-192.168.19.1 /24>

    <quote>
    I connect them together and assign an IP address to each other.
    SwitchLAN : 192.168.10.1 VLAN : 1
    SwitchDMZ : 192.168.19.1 VLAN : 1
    In the software Network Assistant, I can see the 2 switches and the
    link between both. But from a switch, I cannot ping the other switch.
    </quote>

    JP, if you just configure both switches to be on the same network then you
    should be able to ping one from the other. At the moment they are in
    different networks. To route from one network to the other requires a layer
    three device.

    Chris.
    Chris, Jul 12, 2005
  10. Re: How to configure communication between 2 switches ?

    In article <>, Chris <chris@nospam> wrote:
    >Please read the original post. Two layer two devices on different networks
    >can't ping each other over the switch to switch link. NO layer three routing
    >device is present.

    The OP said the switches were 3560G. The 3560 series is the PoE version
    of the Cat3550 Multilayer Switch.

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5528/index.html

    The Cisco Catalyst 3560 is available with either the standard
    multilayer software image (SMI) or the enhanced multilayer software
    image (EMI). The SMI feature set includes advanced QoS,
    rate-limiting, ACLs, and basic routing functionality. The EMI
    provides a richer set of enterprise-class features, including
    advanced hardware-based IP unicast and IP Multicast routing as well
    as policy-based routing (PBR).

    .... Of course the routing features would have to be enabled, which the
    OP does not say anything about having done -- but both ends *are*
    Layer 3+ devices when configured to be so.
    --
    Are we *there* yet??
    Walter Roberson, Jul 13, 2005
  11. jp Guest

    Re: How to configure communication between 2 switches ?

    Ouah so many answers. Thanks a lot.

    So in fact there are 2 firewalls in addition of the 2 switches.
    Switch 1 is connected to firewall 1 (a PIX 515E)
    Switch 2 is connected to Firewall 1 (Sonicwall 230).
    Now I'm using those 2 switches as simple switches but they are Layer 3
    devices.
    jp, Jul 13, 2005