Newbie help with Cisco 1711 ACLs and PAT

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Cakeholes, Jan 12, 2005.

  1. Cakeholes

    Cakeholes Guest

    Hello, please bare with me as I am very new to Cisco....we recently set up a
    business ADSL package at our office using a Cisco 1711 router as
    reccommended by our ISP. The router has a WIC 4ESW card which I assume is
    bascially a 4 port switch.

    We were given 5 static IPs from our ISP and we have the following basic
    setup:

    FastEthernet0 is connected to the ADSL modem and is given a static IP
    provided by the ISP (not one of our 5). There is a static route to the next
    hop.

    FastEthernet1 is connected to our LAN which uses a Class C subnet
    (192.168.0.xxx). No IP is assigned this interface.

    FastEthernet2, 3 & 4 are unused at this point

    Vlan1 is configured as 192.168.0.254 255.255.255.0 and acts as our internal
    networks gateway.

    We have used the SDM wizard to configure the basic firewall which created
    ACLs. The ISP setup a NAT pool using one of our 5 IPs and set up dynamic NAT
    from our Vlan1 to the NAT pool to give us secure access to the Internet.

    All of this works fine, however, we have to future objectives that we are a
    little unclear of how to accomplish:

    1.) Setup port forwarding to allow external users access to a Terminal
    Services server. I believe PAT is used to accomplish this but I'm not sure
    how to do it securely and I'm not sure how to modify the ACLs to make sure
    traffic is allowed in to the router for forwarding. Ideally it would be nice
    to use an IP other than the one used for external access.

    2.) Host a web server on another of our IPs and have it directly connected
    to one of the 3 remaining ports on the router. I know we will have to have a
    DNS pointer to the address which is not a big isssue.

    Any help is greatly appreciated and I can provide further info and/or
    configuration data as required. I will monitor this post until I get these
    issues solved. Please be patient if I am not as savvy as I should be :)

    Cheers,

    Kevin

    Cakeholes, Jan 12, 2005

  2. In article <zscFd.72140$nN6.56145@edtnps84>,
    Cakeholes <> wrote:
    :Hello, please bare with me as I am very new to Cisco....we recently set up a
    :business ADSL package at our office using a Cisco 1711 router as
    :reccommended by our ISP. The router has a WIC 4ESW card which I assume is
    :bascially a 4 port switch.

    Right.

    :All of this works fine, however, we have to future objectives that we are a
    :little unclear of how to accomplish:

    :1.) Setup port forwarding to allow external users access to a Terminal
    :Services server. I believe PAT is used to accomplish this but I'm not sure
    :how to do it securely and I'm not sure how to modify the ACLs to make sure
    :traffic is allowed in to the router for forwarding. Ideally it would be nice
    :to use an IP other than the one used for external access.

    I suggest you examine these:

    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/794/827spat.html

    :2.) Host a web server on another of our IPs and have it directly connected
    :to one of the 3 remaining ports on the router. I know we will have to have a
    :DNS pointer to the address which is not a big isssue.

    That second example above deals directly with configuration
    for supporting an internal web server.
    --
    Disobey all self-referential sentences!

    Walter Roberson, Jan 12, 2005