Newbie help needed

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rich Binkley, Aug 12, 2006.

  1. Rich Binkley

    Rich Binkley Guest

    Newbie to digital photography here. Recently retired and recently a
    Grandpa for the first time. Have used a digital camera for the past 5
    years or so at school but only for webpages and printing. The camera was
    an Olympus C700, I think. Had no problems with it.

    Since I retired, I wanted a digital camera for the new grandbaby. Wanted
    good auto mode, clear pictures and good colors. Read reviews on the web
    and decided on and bought a Canon Powershot A540. Has many added
    features if I want to get further into picture taking.

    This problem has probably been addressed here many times. I downloaded
    the last 500 posts to the group and did not see anything about it so am
    posting and asking for help or your thoughts.

    Am using auto mode, sized for a little bigger than an 8X10 and superfine
    quality since I bought a 1G card for the camera. The camera has a 2" or
    2.5" LCD viewer. I use the LCD and also the viewfinder to take pictures.
    The pictures shown on the LCD are beautiful. Download by USB to
    Macintosh. The pictures on the computer are great and make great desktop
    pictures. Now the problelm.....took the card to CVS and used the picture
    machine to have prints made. The prints do not look near as good as on
    the LCD or the computer. They seem very dull and washed out.

    Thoughts appreciated!

    tia.......Rich

    Rich Binkley, Aug 12, 2006

  2. Rich Binkley

    hoover Guest

    My daughter just got a Canon - I'm not overly impressed with the quality.
    I've used a Nikon D-50 for my photos, but also have used the Sony Cybershot
    for pix that I don't need to adjust or care about artistic shots. I like
    the Sony much better for the quality.

    hoover, Aug 12, 2006

  3. Rich Binkley

    Rich Binkley Guest

    Rich Binkley <> wrote:

    > The pictures shown on the LCD are beautiful. Download by USB to
    > Macintosh. The pictures on the computer are great and make great desktop
    > pictures. Now the problelm.....took the card to CVS and used the picture
    > machine to have prints made. The prints do not look near as good as on
    > the LCD or the computer. They seem very dull and washed out.

    > My daughter just got a Canon - I'm not overly impressed with the quality.
    > I've used a Nikon D-50 for my photos, but also have used the Sony Cybershot
    > for pix that I don't need to adjust or care about artistic shots. I like
    > the Sony much better for the quality.

    I do not know if I have a problem with the camera or the developer. I
    would think that if the camera shows good pictures on the LCD and the
    mac shows good pictures on the screen, I should get good pictures when I
    have prints made. Am I wrong in this. I really do not know.

    I would have thought I could get at least as good a quality priints with
    this new camera as we do with the 30 year old film camera it was to
    replace. Again, I really do not know.

    tia.....Rich

    Rich Binkley, Aug 12, 2006
  4. Rich Binkley

    DHB Guest

    On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 15:56:00 -0400, (Rich Binkley)
    wrote:

    >Rich Binkley <> wrote:
    >
    >> The pictures shown on the LCD are beautiful. Download by USB to
    >> Macintosh. The pictures on the computer are great and make great desktop
    >> pictures. Now the problelm.....took the card to CVS and used the picture
    >> machine to have prints made. The prints do not look near as good as on
    >> the LCD or the computer. They seem very dull and washed out.

    > Snip
    >
    >I do not know if I have a problem with the camera or the developer. I
    >would think that if the camera shows good pictures on the LCD and the
    >mac shows good pictures on the screen, I should get good pictures when I
    >have prints made. Am I wrong in this. I really do not know.
    >
    >I would have thought I could get at least as good a quality priints with
    >this new camera as we do with the 30 year old film camera it was to
    >replace. Again, I really do not know.
    >
    >tia.....Rich

    Rich,
    1st, Congratulations on reaching retirement & becoming a
    grandfather!

    2nd, The above combination + digital photography sounds like
    you will be having a great start in keeping yourself busy with
    something you enjoy & that can be of such joy to others too.

    As to your printing problem & questions:

    As much as I dislike Walmart, they do have the FUJI Frontier
    photo processor which is very well regarded. There should be other
    places locally that have this photo processor as well. Don't know
    what CVS has but if that's the only place you have had prints make &
    you don't like the quality, ask what film processor they used & try
    another someplace else. It's also possible that it was not calibrated
    properly.

    Another thing to consider it that there may be a difference in
    how you home monitor is adjusted compared to the place where you get
    your pictures printed. My TV for example is set for richer colors &
    higher contrast than real life but that's my viewing preference when
    watching most DVDs.

    Try another film processor 1st & you will likely (hopefully)
    be pleased with the results. If the results are the same as CVS &
    they use the Fuji Frontier photo processor than you may need to adjust
    your monitor accordingly or in the case of your Canon camera select
    "vivid" picture mode if this model has it. The results may be more to
    your liking.

    Good luck on all 3 new frontiers, no Fuji pun intended.

    Respectfully, DHB

    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

    DHB, Aug 12, 2006
  5. Rich Binkley

    Roy G Guest

    "Rich Binkley" <> wrote in message
    > Newbie to digital photography here. Recently retired and recently a
    > Grandpa for the first time. Have used a digital camera for the past 5
    > years or so at school but only for webpages and printing. The camera was
    > an Olympus C700, I think. Had no problems with it.
    >
    > Since I retired, I wanted a digital camera for the new grandbaby. Wanted
    > good auto mode, clear pictures and good colors. Read reviews on the web
    > and decided on and bought a Canon Powershot A540. Has many added
    > features if I want to get further into picture taking.
    >
    > This problem has probably been addressed here many times. I downloaded
    > the last 500 posts to the group and did not see anything about it so am
    > posting and asking for help or your thoughts.
    >
    > Am using auto mode, sized for a little bigger than an 8X10 and superfine
    > quality since I bought a 1G card for the camera. The camera has a 2" or
    > 2.5" LCD viewer. I use the LCD and also the viewfinder to take pictures.
    > The pictures shown on the LCD are beautiful. Download by USB to
    > Macintosh. The pictures on the computer are great and make great desktop
    > pictures. Now the problelm.....took the card to CVS and used the picture
    > machine to have prints made. The prints do not look near as good as on
    > the LCD or the computer. They seem very dull and washed out.
    >
    > Thoughts appreciated!
    >
    > tia.......Rich

    Hi there.

    First off, I am not familiar with your camera, and it is a very long time
    (5yrs) since I last used a Mac, so my suggestions may turn out to be total
    rubbish.

    If the coulours and density are Ok on both the Camera and the Monitor, it
    could just be that the lab were having a bad day, or perhaps every day is a
    bad one. Try someplace else.

    If the problem is the same, then it is your system that is wrong.

    You should check the Camera menus to ensure that the Camera is not set to
    attach the Adobe RGB Profile to the images, and that the Mac is also not set
    to Adobe RGB. If they are change them to sRGB. Commercial printers almost
    always want sRGB Profile. An image tagged with Adobe RGB and viewed or
    printed on a sRGB System will look dull and and washed out.

    Another possibility is that your Monitor is needing Calibrated, and is
    showing the images as more bright and saturated than they actually are.
    Quite often the Camera LCD will make pictures look brighter than they really
    are, and in any case it is difficult to make accurate decisions on such a
    small screen.

    The other common cause of viewing errors, is having the Monitor set to its
    native colour Temperature of 9300K
    when for accurate printing it should be set to 6500K.

    These are a few suggestions, which could all be playing some part or none.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Aug 13, 2006
  6. Rich Binkley

    Rich Binkley Guest

    Roy, DHB & Hoover, thanks for your time and the replies. Will try
    another type machine and look into the other suggestions.

    Appreciated.....Rich

    Rich Binkley, Aug 13, 2006
  7. Rich Binkley

    hoover Guest

    no problem Rich, good luck - let us know what you get and how you like it

    hoover, Aug 13, 2006
  8. Rich Binkley

    Rich Binkley Guest

    hoover <> wrote:

    > no problem Rich, good luck - let us know what you get and how you like it
    >
    > "Rich Binkley" <> wrote in message
    > > Roy, DHB & Hoover, thanks for your time and the replies. Will try
    > > another type machine and look into the other suggestions.
    > >
    > > Appreciated.....Rich

    Went to another CVS and got pictures done. They were much better. Had
    the same pictures done at a Walgreens and they were about the same as
    the second CVS. Must just be our local CVS.

    Do not mind going to another picture place, just an excuse to get the
    Goldwing out.

    Thanks to all, Rich

    Rich Binkley, Aug 14, 2006
  9. Rich Binkley

    DHB Guest

    On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 19:02:02 -0400, (Rich Binkley)
    wrote:

    >hoover <> wrote:
    >
    >> no problem Rich, good luck - let us know what you get and how you like it
    >>
    >> "Rich Binkley" <> wrote in message
    >> > Roy, DHB & Hoover, thanks for your time and the replies. Will try
    >> > another type machine and look into the other suggestions.
    >> >
    >> > Appreciated.....Rich

    >Went to another CVS and got pictures done. They were much better. Had
    >the same pictures done at a Walgreens and they were about the same as
    >the second CVS. Must just be our local CVS.
    >
    >Do not mind going to another picture place, just an excuse to get the
    >Goldwing out.
    >
    >Thanks to all, Rich

    Rich,
    Thanks for taking the time to tell us how things worked out
    for you. Often times the Original Poster (OP) does not follow though,
    leaving those who tried to help wondering how things worked out & if
    anything they said helped.

    Thanks again for letting us know how things worked out for
    you, this helps us *all* learn something.

    Respectfully, DHB

    Enjoy the Honda Goldwing too.

    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

    DHB, Aug 14, 2006