    www.sf49ers.com
    www.KGO810am.com
    www.nfl.com

    the niner nation, Apr 15, 2004

  2. the niner nation

    Trent SC Guest

    > Hi...I have a newbie question..
    >
    > I am using windows XP on my PC and have a dsl modem/wireless router as my
    > connection to the internet.
    > Using this, is it possible for me to send and recieve fax messages? i know
    > that faxes are dated, but i'd rather not invest in one of those machines

    if
    > i can do it via my PC...
    > also..it would be helpful to learn HOW to do it, too!!!

    In short, no. Your DSL modem uses a different technology to faxes. You'll
    need to invest in a 'traditional' 56K modem if you want to send faxes, or
    use on of the web-based fax gateways.

    Trent SC, Apr 15, 2004

  3. Re: newbie help...is it possible to send and recieve fax transmissionsusing my PC?

    the niner nation wrote:

    > Hi...I have a newbie question..
    >
    > I am using windows XP on my PC and have a dsl modem/wireless router as my
    > connection to the internet.
    > Using this, is it possible for me to send and recieve fax messages? i know
    > that faxes are dated, but i'd rather not invest in one of those machines if
    > i can do it via my PC...
    > also..it would be helpful to learn HOW to do it, too!!!
    >

    > thanks in advance

    No... and yes.

    No, you can't use a DSL modem as a fax.
    Yes, you can subscribe to a fax<>email service and send and receive
    faxes via that and your DSL modem. Try a Google search on "email fax"

    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, Apr 15, 2004
  4. Once upon a time, OK, it really happened on Thu, 15 Apr 2004 17:17:39
    +0100, "the niner nation" <removeTHISdipak@take
    thisOUT49ers98.freeserve.co.uk> claimed the following truncated trash
    was the absolute, fucking truth:

    >Hi...I have a newbie question..
    >
    >I am using windows XP on my PC and have a dsl modem/wireless router as my
    >connection to the internet.
    >Using this, is it possible for me to send and recieve fax messages? i know
    >that faxes are dated, but i'd rather not invest in one of those machines if
    >i can do it via my PC...
    >also..it would be helpful to learn HOW to do it, too!!!
    >

    >thanks in advance

    I assume that your machine came with an analog (dial up) modem, too.
    If you're not sure, look it up in your owner's manual or into Control
    Panel/ System Properties/ Hardware/ Device Manager. If you have a
    modem installed, it'll be in there and is listed. People confuse the
    old analog modems and DSL/Cable modems. These are *not* one and the
    same kind of device. An analog modem uses a telephone line to log onto
    the internent and transmits data by analog signals (that's the
    screeching sound you hear.) A DSL/ Cable modem is actually a small
    computer that acts as a gateway to highspeed Internet connection and
    uses a digital signal to transmit data. If you don't know the
    difference between analog and digital, do a search using Google or
    Yahoo. To use your computer to receive a fax, XP comes with it's own
    faxing software, which is pretty easy to use. To receive a fax, go
    into Start/ Programs/ Accessories/ Communications/ Fax/ Fax Console.
    Click on File/ Receive a Fax. If you can't figure that out from there,
    click on Help. To send a fax, scan the document in (or if you have a
    document in Word, such as a resume, open the document), click on File/
    Print. Instead of using the printer driver, choose the fax driver and
    click OK. It will walk you through the rest.

    HTH

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Apr 15, 2004
  5. Re: newbie help...is it possible to send and recieve fax transmissions

    Once upon a time, OK, it really happened on Thu, 15 Apr 2004 17:24:55
    +0100, Palindr?me <> claimed the following truncated
    trash was the absolute, fucking truth:

    >the niner nation wrote:
    >
    >> Hi...I have a newbie question..
    >>
    >> I am using windows XP on my PC and have a dsl modem/wireless router as my
    >> connection to the internet.
    >> Using this, is it possible for me to send and recieve fax messages? i know
    >> that faxes are dated, but i'd rather not invest in one of those machines if
    >> i can do it via my PC...
    >> also..it would be helpful to learn HOW to do it, too!!!
    >>

    >> thanks in advance
    >>

    >No... and yes.
    >
    >No, you can't use a DSL modem as a fax.
    >Yes, you can subscribe to a fax<>email service and send and receive
    >faxes via that and your DSL modem. Try a Google search on "email fax"

    Please read my post on how to send a fax with your analog modem. MKost
    OEM PCs still come with ananalog modem and can be used to send and
    receive faxes. You don't have to use some service (that can be
    expensive) when you can use your own PC for free.

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Apr 15, 2004
  6. On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 17:17:39 +0100, "the niner nation"
    <removeTHISdipak@take thisOUT49ers98.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

    >Hi...I have a newbie question..
    >
    >I am using windows XP on my PC and have a dsl modem/wireless router as my
    >connection to the internet.
    >Using this, is it possible for me to send and recieve fax messages? i know
    >that faxes are dated, but i'd rather not invest in one of those machines if
    >i can do it via my PC...
    >also..it would be helpful to learn HOW to do it, too!!!

    Have a look at this site; http://www.tpc.int/ for sending faxes.
    Using http://www.j2.com/jconnect/twa/page/homePage you can receive
    them for free.

    Shane Matthews, Apr 15, 2004