Newbie help: Canon EOS 350D vs. Nikon D70s

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah, Apr 15, 2006.

  1. I want someone to help me to choose the camera.

    For about 15-years I have had great passion towards photography, but
    never used any camera as it is/was costlier for me to afford. I also
    attended a very very basic photographic class (which is more of film
    and focal length basics) 10 years ago. At that time some photographers
    suggested me to buy Nikon SLR.
    I was collecting money for sometime to buy Nikon SLR and came to know
    that DSLR is taking the world--so again started collecting money. Now I
    have some money to buy DSLR.

    While searching I came to know Canon EOS 350D and Nikon D70s are
    competitors and also good for the price. I have high difficulty in
    choosing the camera as I just have enthusiasm and no knowledge on this.
    I have also read many reviews including DPreview, but for me it's very
    very difficult to decide.

    1. What is the better among Canon EOS 350D and Nikon D70s? (I do not
    have much of money to play with; so I want to buy the best for the
    money. I hope, being a geek I can easily become pro once I get camera.)

    2. Is it *really* true that Canon EOS 350D is cheaper than Nikon D70s?
    (some sites say Canon kit costs $999 while Nikon kit costs $1,199)

    3. It seems that in India, Nikon Thailand make alone is available. Is
    it advisable to go for Thailand make (if you're suggesting Nikon)?

    4. Is there any better version available for these two cameras?

    Thanks for any help or comments.

    --
    <?php echo 'Just another PHP saint'; ?>
    Email: rrjanbiah-at-Y!com Blog: http://rajeshanbiah.blogspot.com/
    R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah, Apr 15, 2006

  2. R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah

    Backbone Guest

    Really depends on your personal preference - I started out using a Canon F1
    SLR and thus all I know is Canon!
    Here's a great place to review DSLR's http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/

    Backbone, Apr 15, 2006

  3. R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah

    tough_dog Guest

    I had the Nikon D70 and was happy until I compared photos from the
    Canon 350D when shooting in low-light. The Nikon is a very high
    quality camera with excellent optics BUT has a sensor (made by Sony)
    with much more noise (speckles) when using a high ISO setting as needed
    in low light. The Canon sensor (made by Canon) is far superior in the
    noise category and produces silky smooth images even at ISO 800 and is
    even usable at ISO 1600 allowing photos in very low light, especially
    with a fast lens. So, I sold the Nikon and switched to Canon.
    Suggest the Canon 350D with the 17-85mm IS lens. This lens has a very
    good 5:1 zoom range and has image stabilization (IS) which you can turn
    on or off. The IS allows you to hand-hold the camera at 3 stops lower
    (8 times slower) shutter speed than without IS. You can take photos
    without flash in much lower light without getting image blur due to
    normal hand shake. There are some reviews on the internet comparing
    the Nikon and Canon which show the advantage of the Canon in image
    comparisons at high ISO. Good luck.

    Mike

    tough_dog, Apr 15, 2006
  4. R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah

    Bill Guest

    R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah wrote:

    >I want someone to help me to choose the camera.
    >
    >1. What is the better among Canon EOS 350D and Nikon D70s?

    First I suggest you visit a store and handle the two cameras. How they
    feel in YOUR hands can be an important factor. Some people don't like
    the tiny size of the Canon, others don't like the big bulky feel of the
    Nikon.

    Next, concentrate on the handling and features of the body, and optical
    quality of the kit lenses. There's a big difference between the two.

    > (I do not
    >have much of money to play with; so I want to buy the best for the
    >money. I hope, being a geek I can easily become pro once I get camera.)

    If you don't intend to buy more lenses for a long time, then I suggest
    you get the Nikon with the 18-70mm kit lense right now. It's the better
    deal for optical quality, and it covers most of the common zoom range.

    You can also consider the lower priced Nikon D50 and get the 18-70mm
    lense for it. That would perform just as well, but lacks some of the
    features in the D70s. If you can live without those features, the D50 is
    a great camera.

    >2. Is it *really* true that Canon EOS 350D is cheaper than Nikon D70s?
    >(some sites say Canon kit costs $999 while Nikon kit costs $1,199)

    While the camera bodies have similar features and performance, the kit
    lenses are very different.

    The Canon has an 18-55mm lense that is fairly good, and gives a field of
    view equivalent to a 29-88 on a 35mm body. The lense is fairly quick to
    focus, and not too noisy, but it's not one of Canon's silent USM models.
    You can use it wide open, but it lacks sharpness across the aperture
    range - it's a useable lense, but unless all you want is 4x6 or 5x7
    snapshots, you'll probably want better glass. For $100 or so, it's not
    bad...it's just not great either.

    The Nikon has a much better 18-70mm lense that is sharper and covers a
    wider zoom range, 28-105mm equivalent. The lense is quick to focus and
    uses a silent wave motor (AF-S). You can use it wide open and it's sharp
    across the aperture range. It has noticeably better resolution and
    contrast than the Canon kit lense. At 18mm and f/3.5 there is a minor
    vignetting issue, but stop down a notch or more and it vanishes. The
    18-70 zoom range makes for a great "walk-around" lense.

    Obviously the Nikon 18-70 lense makes a big difference in the kits,
    hence the price differences and my recommendations.

    >3. It seems that in India, Nikon Thailand make alone is available. Is
    >it advisable to go for Thailand make (if you're suggesting Nikon)?

    Sure. I believe the Nikon D70s sold in America is made in Thailand too.

    >4. Is there any better version available for these two cameras?

    That's subjective and difficult to answer. There are many options
    available, but only you can truly decide which is right for you.

    What do you plan to do with the camera - what kind of pictures?
    Bill, Apr 15, 2006
  5. R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah

    Bloggs Guest

    I've just returned a 350D I purchased on Thursday.

    I simply couldn't get sharp images from it, despite having one of the
    sharpest lenses made for it (Canon 24-105L IS) fitted.

    I did a comparison between the Canon 24-105L, with a much cheaper Nikon
    24-120, all at f11, shot in RAW, both cameras at ISO 200 and converted with
    the same sharpening. The Nikon images were sharper out of the camera than
    the Canon ones after sharpening and the noise in the Canon images at ISO 200
    was more noticeable than from the Nikon.

    I only bought the Canon in a fit of pique because I've not been able to get
    hold of a Nikon D200.

    Bad mistake.

    Bloggs, Apr 16, 2006
  6. "Bloggs" <> wrote:
    > I've just returned a 350D I purchased on Thursday.
    >
    > I simply couldn't get sharp images from it, despite having one of the
    > sharpest lenses made for it (Canon 24-105L IS) fitted.
    >
    > I did a comparison between the Canon 24-105L, with a much cheaper Nikon
    > 24-120, all at f11, shot in RAW, both cameras at ISO 200 and converted
    > with the same sharpening. The Nikon images were sharper out of the camera
    > than the Canon ones after sharpening

    The D70 has one of the weaker AA filters around (and thus has nasty Moire
    problems (see the color and maze artifiacts in the test chart images)), so
    it's images _appear_ sharper _at 100%_. The 350D, though, actually resolves
    a lot more detail. So you are doing something wrong.

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond70/page26.asp
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos350d/page27.asp

    > and the noise in the Canon images at ISO 200 was more noticeable than from
    > the Nikon.

    You are again in Journal of Irreproducable results land here. (See the chart
    at the bottom of the page: they

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos350d/page19.asp

    You really shouldn't be able to see a difference in noise at ISO 200, or any
    other ISO for that matter. (The D70 is very good, of course. The 350D
    sacrifices just a tad of noise for the better resolution, but it's ISO 100
    noise is lower than the D70's noise at its lowest ISO.)

    > I only bought the Canon in a fit of pique because I've not been able to
    > get hold of a Nikon D200.
    >
    > Bad mistake.

    Well, you must have made several mistakes. But buying the 350D wasn't one of
    them.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Apr 16, 2006
  7. tough_dog wrote:
    > I had the Nikon D70 and was happy until I compared photos from the
    > Canon 350D when shooting in low-light.

    <snip>

    (Many thanks for everyone who replied me in this thread.) Thanks
    for sharing your experience. But, I guess you're supposed to compare
    Canon 350D with Nikon D70s--not D70 as it's older(?)

    R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah, Apr 16, 2006
  8. Bill wrote:
    > R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah wrote:
    >
    > >I want someone to help me to choose the camera.
    > >
    > >1. What is the better among Canon EOS 350D and Nikon D70s?

    > First I suggest you visit a store and handle the two cameras. How they
    > feel in YOUR hands can be an important factor. Some people don't like
    > the tiny size of the Canon, others don't like the big bulky feel of the
    > Nikon.

    Yes, this is what I'm reading in every review; some people say
    Nikon is bulky and hence ergonomic. And, thanks for your advice. I'll
    try to see it; but last time when I visited the shop, they didn't allow
    me to see closer as it's quite costlier.

    > Next, concentrate on the handling and features of the body, and optical
    > quality of the kit lenses. There's a big difference between the two.
    >
    > > (I do not
    > >have much of money to play with; so I want to buy the best for the
    > >money. I hope, being a geek I can easily become pro once I get camera.)

    > If you don't intend to buy more lenses for a long time, then I suggest
    > you get the Nikon with the 18-70mm kit lense right now. It's the better
    > deal for optical quality, and it covers most of the common zoom range.

    Does it mean that I have to buy the lenses separately?

    > You can also consider the lower priced Nikon D50 and get the 18-70mm
    > lense for it. That would perform just as well, but lacks some of the
    > features in the D70s. If you can live without those features, the D50 is
    > a great camera.

    Today I bought the "Smart Photography" magazine (Indian). And gone
    through the buyers' guide:

    Canon EOS 350D: Rs. 56, 995 (Street price: Rs. 39, 000)
    Nikon D70s : Rs. 55, 000 (Street price: Rs. 37, 000)
    Nikon D50 : Rs. 55, 400 (Street price: Rs. 32, 000)

    And, it definitely looks like that D50 is a good alternative.

    > >2. Is it *really* true that Canon EOS 350D is cheaper than Nikon D70s?
    > >(some sites say Canon kit costs $999 while Nikon kit costs $1,199)

    <snip>
    > Obviously the Nikon 18-70 lense makes a big difference in the kits,
    > hence the price differences and my recommendations.

    Apologies for my ignorance. Can't we use Nikon lenses with Canon?

    <snip>
    > >4. Is there any better version available for these two cameras?

    > That's subjective and difficult to answer. There are many options
    > available, but only you can truly decide which is right for you.

    This is what every review in the 'net says; but I'm lost as I never
    used any cameras:-(

    > What do you plan to do with the camera - what kind of pictures?

    I'm interested to shoot everything--objects, nature, people,
    etc--for example, scattered sandals near temple, running school boy.

    R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah, Apr 16, 2006
  9. Bloggs wrote:
    <snip>
    > I only bought the Canon in a fit of pique because I've not been able to get
    > hold of a Nikon D200.
    >
    > Bad mistake.

    <snip>

    Thanks for sharing your experience. Here D200 costs Rs. 1, 09, 500
    and it's double in price as compared to D70s:-(

    R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah, Apr 16, 2006
  10. R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah

    Bill Guest

    R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah wrote:

    >> > (I do not
    >> >have much of money to play with; so I want to buy the best for the
    >> >money. I hope, being a geek I can easily become pro once I get camera.)

    >> If you don't intend to buy more lenses for a long time, then I suggest
    >> you get the Nikon with the 18-70mm kit lense right now. It's the better
    >> deal for optical quality, and it covers most of the common zoom range.

    > Does it mean that I have to buy the lenses separately?

    I believe so...the Nikon D50 kit includes the 18-55mm lense which isn't
    as good. You can buy the D50 body and get the 18-70 at the same time,
    and probably talk them into a deal.

    You'll also need to get a memory card.

    >> You can also consider the lower priced Nikon D50 and get the 18-70mm

    >Canon EOS 350D: Rs. 56, 995 (Street price: Rs. 39, 000)
    >Nikon D70s : Rs. 55, 000 (Street price: Rs. 37, 000)
    >Nikon D50 : Rs. 55, 400 (Street price: Rs. 32, 000)
    >
    > And, it definitely looks like that D50 is a good alternative.

    The D50 can take pictures just as good as the other two. The only
    difference is a few features and settings. For a newbie, you'll never
    notice the difference.

    >> Obviously the Nikon 18-70 lense makes a big difference in the kits,
    >> hence the price differences and my recommendations.

    > Apologies for my ignorance. Can't we use Nikon lenses with Canon?

    The two systems use different mounts so they are not immediately
    compatible. It's like trying to use a Mazda motor in a Ford, they just
    don't fit together.

    >> What do you plan to do with the camera - what kind of pictures?

    > I'm interested to shoot everything--objects, nature, people,
    >etc--for example, scattered sandals near temple, running school boy.

    Since this will be your first DSLR, I'll take a chance and say you
    should get the D50 with the 18-70mm lense. It should do everything you
    need for a relatively long time.
    Bill, Apr 17, 2006
  11. "Bill" <> wrote:

    >> Apologies for my ignorance. Can't we use Nikon lenses with Canon?

    > The two systems use different mounts so they are not immediately
    > compatible. It's like trying to use a Mazda motor in a Ford, they just
    > don't fit together.

    Some Nikon lenses can be used on Canon cameras (with an adaptor) at the cost
    of putting up with manual focus and stopped-down metering. No Canon lenses
    can be used on Nikon.

    This is because the sensor-to-flange distance is shorter on Canon than
    Nikon.

    But it's a pain, and it's main use is to run tests to show that the Nikon
    wide angles really aren't any better than the Canon, despite all the noise
    from the Nikonistas. (In particular, the Nikon 17-35/2.8 is just as flaky at
    the corners unless stopped way down as the Canon 17-40.)

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Apr 17, 2006
  12. R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah

    Bloggs Guest

    > "Bloggs" <> wrote:
    >> I've just returned a 350D I purchased on Thursday.
    >>
    >> I simply couldn't get sharp images from it, despite having one of the
    >> sharpest lenses made for it (Canon 24-105L IS) fitted.
    >>
    >> I did a comparison between the Canon 24-105L, with a much cheaper Nikon
    >> 24-120, all at f11, shot in RAW, both cameras at ISO 200 and converted
    >> with the same sharpening. The Nikon images were sharper out of the camera
    >> than the Canon ones after sharpening

    > The D70 has one of the weaker AA filters around (and thus has nasty Moire
    > problems (see the color and maze artifiacts in the test chart images)), so
    > it's images _appear_ sharper _at 100%_. The 350D, though, actually
    > resolves a lot more detail. So you are doing something wrong.

    No I'm not. I've been involved in digital photography for 5 years and know
    my way around RAW converters and post processing.

    This is my second try at a Canon digital SLR. I had a 20D when they first
    came out, as I thought it would be a step up from the Powershot Pro1. Big
    mistake. It was a dreadful camera, with the same problems with soft images
    apparent. The Pro1, coincidentally, is sharper than the 350D.

    I downtraded to a Nikon D70 and haven't looked back.

    Regarding moire - I have experienced it from time to time, and it is quite
    easily rectified in post processing. I'd much rather have to correct that on
    very rare occasions, than be stuck with a camer that gives soft, plastic
    looking images.

    Bloggs, Apr 17, 2006
  13. Bill wrote:

    > >> If you don't intend to buy more lenses for a long time, then I suggest
    > >> you get the Nikon with the 18-70mm kit lense right now. It's the better
    > >> deal for optical quality, and it covers most of the common zoom range.

    > > Does it mean that I have to buy the lenses separately?

    > I believe so...the Nikon D50 kit includes the 18-55mm lense which isn't
    > as good. You can buy the D50 body and get the 18-70 at the same time,
    > and probably talk them into a deal.
    >
    > You'll also need to get a memory card.

    Thanks a lot for the nice advice.

    > >> You can also consider the lower priced Nikon D50 and get the 18-70mm

    > >Canon EOS 350D: Rs. 56, 995 (Street price: Rs. 39, 000)
    > >Nikon D70s : Rs. 55, 000 (Street price: Rs. 37, 000)
    > >Nikon D50 : Rs. 55, 400 (Street price: Rs. 32, 000)
    > >
    > > And, it definitely looks like that D50 is a good alternative.

    > The D50 can take pictures just as good as the other two. The only
    > difference is a few features and settings. For a newbie, you'll never
    > notice the difference.

    I'm sorry, I'd thought that D50 is a lower-end as compared to
    D70s. But, when I checked <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond50/> I
    came to know D50 is a better camera. Thanks for pointing it.

    > >> Obviously the Nikon 18-70 lense makes a big difference in the kits,
    > >> hence the price differences and my recommendations.

    > > Apologies for my ignorance. Can't we use Nikon lenses with Canon?

    > The two systems use different mounts so they are not immediately
    > compatible. It's like trying to use a Mazda motor in a Ford, they just
    > don't fit together.

    Thanks for the explanation.

    > >> What do you plan to do with the camera - what kind of pictures?

    > > I'm interested to shoot everything--objects, nature, people,
    > >etc--for example, scattered sandals near temple, running school boy.

    > Since this will be your first DSLR, I'll take a chance and say you
    > should get the D50 with the 18-70mm lense. It should do everything you
    > need for a relatively long time.

    I'm thankful for the advice. I was really scratching my head and
    your advice is really helpful.

    R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah, Apr 18, 2006
  14. R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah" <> writes:
    > I'm sorry, I'd thought that D50 is a lower-end as compared to
    > D70s. But, when I checked <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond50/> I
    > came to know D50 is a better camera. Thanks for pointing it.

    I wouldn't say it's better. It's newer and has some advantages
    because of technology improvements. But it really is a lower-end
    camera. If I were choosing between a D70s and D50 today, I'd think it
    over carefully but would probably end up with a D70s. The wireless
    flash control feature is worth the price difference all by itself,
    since you'd need an additional iTTL Speedlight to do the same thing
    with the D50.
    Paul Rubin, Apr 18, 2006
  15. Paul Rubin wrote:
    > "R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah" <> writes:
    > > I'm sorry, I'd thought that D50 is a lower-end as compared to
    > > D70s. But, when I checked <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond50/> I
    > > came to know D50 is a better camera. Thanks for pointing it.

    > I wouldn't say it's better. It's newer and has some advantages
    > because of technology improvements. But it really is a lower-end
    > camera. If I were choosing between a D70s and D50 today, I'd think it
    > over carefully but would probably end up with a D70s. The wireless
    > flash control feature is worth the price difference all by itself,
    > since you'd need an additional iTTL Speedlight to do the same thing
    > with the D50.

    Hmm, again I'm lost... anyway, thanks a lot for your open critic.
    It's much useful in choosing the camera. Thanks again.

    R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah, Apr 18, 2006
  16. Paul Rubin wrote:
    > "R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah" <> writes:
    > > I'm sorry, I'd thought that D50 is a lower-end as compared to
    > > D70s. But, when I checked <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond50/> I
    > > came to know D50 is a better camera. Thanks for pointing it.

    > I wouldn't say it's better. It's newer and has some advantages
    > because of technology improvements. But it really is a lower-end
    > camera. If I were choosing between a D70s and D50 today, I'd think it
    > over carefully but would probably end up with a D70s.

    <snip>

    Sorry, BTW, what's your opinion about Canon 350d? (Just curious)

    R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah, Apr 18, 2006
  17. R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah

    Bill Guest

    R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah wrote:

    >> Since this will be your first DSLR, I'll take a chance and say you
    >> should get the D50 with the 18-70mm lense. It should do everything you
    >> need for a relatively long time.

    > I'm thankful for the advice. I was really scratching my head and
    >your advice is really helpful.

    All of the models you mentioned are capable of taking great photos. Just
    remember to handle them in the store first, as that can be the deciding
    factor.
    Bill, Apr 19, 2006
  18. Bill wrote:
    > R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah wrote:
    >
    > >> Since this will be your first DSLR, I'll take a chance and say you
    > >> should get the D50 with the 18-70mm lense. It should do everything you
    > >> need for a relatively long time.

    > > I'm thankful for the advice. I was really scratching my head and
    > >your advice is really helpful.

    > All of the models you mentioned are capable of taking great photos. Just
    > remember to handle them in the store first, as that can be the deciding
    > factor.

    Sure. Thanks.

    R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah, Apr 19, 2006
  19. R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah

    SMS Guest

    R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah wrote:
    > I want someone to help me to choose the camera.
    >
    > For about 15-years I have had great passion towards photography, but
    > never used any camera as it is/was costlier for me to afford. I also
    > attended a very very basic photographic class (which is more of film
    > and focal length basics) 10 years ago. At that time some photographers
    > suggested me to buy Nikon SLR.
    > I was collecting money for sometime to buy Nikon SLR and came to know
    > that DSLR is taking the world--so again started collecting money. Now I
    > have some money to buy DSLR.
    >
    > While searching I came to know Canon EOS 350D and Nikon D70s are
    > competitors and also good for the price. I have high difficulty in
    > choosing the camera as I just have enthusiasm and no knowledge on this.
    > I have also read many reviews including DPreview, but for me it's very
    > very difficult to decide.
    >
    > 1. What is the better among Canon EOS 350D and Nikon D70s? (I do not
    > have much of money to play with; so I want to buy the best for the
    > money. I hope, being a geek I can easily become pro once I get camera.)
    >
    > 2. Is it *really* true that Canon EOS 350D is cheaper than Nikon D70s?
    > (some sites say Canon kit costs $999 while Nikon kit costs $1,199)

    The EOS-350D with the EF-s 17-85 IS lens is $1250, while the D70s with
    the 18-70 lens is $1250. So for that $50 extra, you get 33% higher
    resolution, and the image-stabilized lens. It's also lower noise, and
    has a better selection of accessories.

    I think that it's worth spending the extra money for the better Canon
    lens. The kit lenses with the Nikon D50 and Canon 350xt are pretty good
    optically, not not terrific.

    It's kind of too bad that Canon has no EF-s 17-85 lens that is cheaper,
    but not image-stabilized, but at the same time, Nikon would benefit from
    an image-stabilized version of their 18-70 lens.

    For more information, see "http://digitalslrinfo.com"
    SMS, Apr 19, 2006
  20. R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah

    Bill Guest

    SMS wrote:

    >> While searching I came to know Canon EOS 350D and Nikon D70s are
    >> competitors and also good for the price. I have high difficulty in
    >> choosing the camera as I just have enthusiasm and no knowledge on this.

    >The EOS-350D with the EF-s 17-85 IS lens is $1250, while the D70s with
    >the 18-70 lens is $1250. So for that $50 extra, you get 33% higher
    >resolution, and the image-stabilized lens. It's also lower noise, and
    >has a better selection of accessories.
    >
    >I think that it's worth spending the extra money for the better Canon
    >lens.

    Depends what you mean by "better".

    Mechanically?
    Optically?
    IS feature?

    While I think the Canon 17-85 IS has its benefits, it suffers from CA
    and lack of sharpness and contrast. Mechanically they're about the same.

    The great thing is the IS feature, but I don't think it's worth the
    price unless you desperately need image stabilization.

    Optically, the Nikon 18-70 is the better lense, with better sharpness
    and contrast across the zoom and aperture ranges. The only real issue
    with the Nikon is vignetting at 18mm when used wide-open. It's a fair
    bit less expensive than the Canon too.

    My Canon 17-40 L is better than either of them, but then it also costs
    substantially more and should perform better.

    If I was just starting out and deciding between Canon and Nikon systems
    based on these two lenses, I'd go with Nikon without hesitation and save
    some money.

    >It's kind of too bad that Canon has no EF-s 17-85 lens that is cheaper,
    >but not image-stabilized, but at the same time, Nikon would benefit from
    >an image-stabilized version of their 18-70 lens.

    I agree.
    Bill, Apr 19, 2006