    appreciated.

    Thanks!

    Jen

    Manon, Apr 8, 2004

  2. Manon

    Hired Goon Guest

    I would recommend what others have posted before...get your A+, get a crappy
    tech job and build up some IT experience then work on the MCSA. Be prepared
    for 3-5 years of entry level jobs if you have no IT experience. Although
    you say that you don't want to be a tech, most companies that hire lan
    admins also expect them to do the tech support as well.

    Hired Goon, Apr 8, 2004

  3. Manon

    LnkWizard Guest

    "Manon" <> wrote in message
    <snip>
    > Someone suggested in another message that a newbie should really get
    > the A+ cert first even if they don't want to be a technician. Should
    > I?

    It never hurts to know how the hardware all works together when working
    with a network. That way you can at least figure out if it is the PC
    Hardware,
    Network hardware, or something in the software setup that is causing
    trouble.

    > Also I can't really get a entry level job as a tech right now as I
    > would need to stay at the same salary level I am now...not that my
    > salary is all that great anyway. So would having home/personal
    > experience be enough to get a job down the road if I get my cert?

    Having a home network to practice on is always a good thing. It will
    definitely help, especially on how to set a network up and how to fix
    things that get broken. You might also want to volunteer your time
    at a local school or church to assist their "network guru" to help
    you get some real world practice.

    > Any advice anyone would like to throw my way will be greatly
    > appreciated.

    Several good sources are the help files within the Server or PC operating
    system,
    Microsofts on-line Tech Net and Knowledge Base support areas. You might
    also consider using Google.com to help search out information. In addition
    all of that the general consensus is to use the Microsoft Press and Sybex
    training books.

    As far as testing your skills as you learn, the MS tests that sometimes
    come with the books and Transcenders Tests (http://www.transcender.com)
    are useful. There are other sources but that is all I can think of for now.
    Stay away from br@indump test sources, if you get caught using them
    your certs will be invalidated and you cannot ever try again.

    There are folks here willing to help, but they do expect you to put
    forth some effort on your part before you come dashing in with questions.
    When you do ask questions, make sure you provide enough information
    for them to help you, plus what you have done on your own to solve
    the problem.

    > Thanks!
    >
    > Jen

    ---
    LnkWizard MCNGP 2^5

    ---

    LnkWizard, Apr 8, 2004
  4. Manon

    TechGeekPro Guest

    Keep your job, get the A+, then work toward your MCSA. After that consider
    getting more certs (i.e., CompTIA, Cisco, Microsoft). Good luck!

    --
    I may not be fully certified, but I am fully certifiable.

    TechGeekPro, Apr 8, 2004
  5. Manon

    Tech Goddess Guest

    WARNING!!!!

    WARNING!!!!

    DO NOT GIVE OUT YOUR EMAIL ON THIS WEBSITE!!!!
    YOU WILL RECIEVE LEGITIMATE-LOOKING MS WEBSITE PAGES WITH
    EXECUTABLE SECURITY PATCHES AS ATTACHMENTS!!!!
    THESE ARE NOT SECURITY PATCHES, THESE ARE VIRUS'S!!!

    YOU WILL ALSO RECIEVE MEDIA PLAYER FILES THAT EXECUTE
    VIRUS'S UPON OPENING!!!!!!

    YOU WILL ALSO RECIEVE OTHER SUSPICIOUS EMAILS !!!!

    PLEASE UPDATE YOUR NORTON ANTI-VIRUS BEFORE OPENING ANY
    EMAILS!!!!!!

    PLEASE SEE ATTN: MS NEWSGROUP FOR WARNINGS !!!!

    LnkWizard, TechGeekPro and Hired Goon are malicious
    participants on this newsgroup.

    Please see ATTN: MS NEWSGROUPS for all or most malicious
    participants who will soon be addressing you!!!!

    Regards,
    Tech Goddess

    Tech Goddess, Apr 8, 2004
  6. Manon

    TechGeekPro Guest

    Re: WARNING!!!!

    WARNING!!! BE SURE TO TURN OFF YOUR FUGGING CAPS LOCK WHEN POSTING TO THIS
    NEWSGROUP!!!! PEOPLE HERE FIND IT ANNOYING!!!!!

    TechGeekPro, Apr 8, 2004
  7. Manon

    JaR Guest

    Re: WARNING!!!!

    Tech Goddess opined, On 4/8/04 12:09 PM:

    > WARNING!!!!
    >
    > DO NOT GIVE OUT YOUR EMAIL ON THIS WEBSITE!!!!
    > YOU WILL RECIEVE LEGITIMATE-LOOKING MS WEBSITE PAGES WITH

    <BullSnipped>

    WARNING!!!

    Do not get too close to the poster known as Tech Goddess!* The cloud of
    stupidity surronding her posts can cause light headedness.

    *Goddess of what kind of Tech, one wonders? Electric blankies? Toasters?

    JaR
    Guardian Thug

    JaR, Apr 8, 2004
  8. Manon

    LnkWizard Guest

    Re: WARNING!!!!

    "Tech Goddess" <> wrote in message

    <snip>

    > LnkWizard, TechGeekPro and Hired Goon are malicious
    > participants on this newsgroup.

    I suggest you be real careful of your accusations there Tech G.
    I have never nor will I ever send any kind of malicious materials
    to any participant on this newsgroup. If you have received
    said materials from me, PROVE IT!

    LnkWizard, Apr 8, 2004
  9. Manon

    Crimson* Guest

    > It never hurts to know how the hardware all works together when working
    > with a network.

    Great point. I think you'll find more and more that many IT jobs are being
    rolled into one. For example, you're hired as a LAN Admin, but to everyone
    you work with you'll be known as "the computer girl/guy". So when anything
    PC-related breaks, you'll get a call. It's best to start small (A+) and
    build a solid foundation for the bigger things (MCSA, etc.)

    Crimson*, Apr 8, 2004
  10. Manon

    TechGeekPro Guest

    Re: WARNING!!!!

    "LnkWizard, TechGeekPro and Hired Goon are malicious participants on this
    newsgroup."

    I didn't see that when I read it (actually I just skim the mindless
    dribble). What the h3ll did I do that was "malicious"? Come to think of it,
    I think I'll just take it as a compliment.

    TechGeekPro, Apr 9, 2004
  11. Manon

    JaR Guest

    Re: WARNING!!!!

    TechGeekPro opined, On 4/8/04 4:13 PM:

    > "LnkWizard, TechGeekPro and Hired Goon are malicious participants on this
    > newsgroup."
    >
    > I didn't see that when I read it (actually I just skim the mindless
    > dribble). What the h3ll did I do that was "malicious"? Come to think of it,
    > I think I'll just take it as a compliment.

    There was the implication that some here "hacked" her account and sent
    viruses. Remember the "have a good time in prison" crap?

    JaR, Apr 9, 2004
  12. Manon

    TechGeekPro Guest

    Re: WARNING!!!!

    Back in 12/03 I posted a message to the iis newsgroup and used real e-mail
    address. I'm still getting spam, viruses, and undeliverable messages. I'll
    never do THAT again!

    TechGeekPro, Apr 9, 2004
  13. Manon

    Patti Guest

    I used to be an office manager and ended up doing the tech
    support too. If your company has a computer guru, I would
    suggest talking to him/her to see if you can help out,
    provided your boss approves. I'm halfway to getting my
    MCSA; passed the Server test last week and studying for
    218 now. If your town has a New Horizons Computer center,
    you might start taking classes there. They have night
    classes too. Personally, I don't think it's that
    important to start out with A+. Windows 2K Pro isn't that
    hard to start out with. Any hands-on work you can find
    will help you tremendously, so if you can get a couple of
    cheap computers and set up a network at home, that would
    teach you a lot. Anyway, that's my 2-cents. Good luck!

    Patti, Apr 10, 2004
  14. Manon

    DalePres Guest

    Your 2 cents might just be worth thousands to Jen. It's right on the mark.
    I would be much more impressed with a candidate that had passed 70-270 and
    70-290 and had the knowledge to back it up.

    Being a PC tech is not at all a prerequisite for being a network engineer or
    system administrator. I've had my MCSE for 7 years and do not have A+.

    Dale

    DalePres, Apr 11, 2004
  15. Manon

    Dan Withrow Guest

    I would have to somewhat agree with Dale. I have been in the IT industry
    for 15+ years, and have worked my way up to Director of Technology. I am
    just now getting my certifications. Having your A+ is not a prerequisite to
    getting your Microsoft certifications, but I would have to say that being a
    PC tech, before you become a network engineer or system admin, is. There
    simply is no substitute for experience. As Patti suggested, find your
    company's computer "guru" if you can get it approved, and ask questions,
    help with computer rebuilds, etc. Any equipment that can be put together
    for a home lab will help you out tremendously.

    Good luck.

    Dan

    Dan Withrow, Apr 13, 2004
  16. Manon

    wannapass Guest

    find a connection, a friend or someone to get your foot in
    the door, the experience does not matter as much. If you
    are just sending resume then you better have lots of
    certifications and experience.

    wannapass, Apr 22, 2004
  17. Manon

    NewMCSA Mike Guest

    A+ is a good start for showing you know computers since it
    covers both basic hardware and O/S's. After that, you
    could start with 70-210 (Win 2K Pro) or 70-270 (Win XP)
    and start working towards the MCSA.. I just finished
    earning mine yesterday when I completed the CompTIA
    Server+ to go along with my A+ I've had a for few years as
    my elective on MCSA. Them along with 210, 215 & 218 I've
    taken in about the last 2 years. I take alittle longer
    since I want to feel I really know the material rather
    than just cramming to pass.

    By the way, I don't recommend the Server+ exam.. It's
    tough and the questions are very open to reading into them.
    If I had it to do over again, I think I would have taken
    the 214 (Windows Security) as the elective.

    Mike

    NewMCSA Mike, Apr 22, 2004