    somehow (it has no Ethernet port -- just USB). If so, does this communicate
    with the wireless router or direct to the laptop? Any special settings or
    is it just plug and play (WP)?

    Suzy, Dec 30, 2007

  2. Suzy

    Suzy Guest

    Suzy, Dec 30, 2007

  3. Hi
    Wireless printer server communicates to the Wireless Router and it is
    available to all computers on the Network.
    It need to be set but it is Not "Rocket Science" to set it.
    Make sure that if the specific device that you buy is not compatible with
    the Brother it can be returned.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Dec 30, 2007
  4. Suzy

    Jim Guest

    "Suzy" <not@valid> wrote in message news:...
    > Hi
    >
    > I've installed a Belkin Wireless G router, connected it to my NB5 ADSL
    > modem. Can now use my laptop with inbuilt Atheros wireless card anywhere
    > in the house. When setting it up I did not connect it by Ethernet to the
    > laptop. When I set the WPA password, did this set it at the router end
    > *and* the laptop end (wirelessly)?

    No. One of the more tedious tasks is getting the WPA keys to match. These
    strings
    are encryption keys not passwords.

    > Also, I would like to join printer MFC 7420 to my network of one (!) I
    > presume I need a wireless print server and must connect this to the
    > printer somehow (it has no Ethernet port -- just USB). If so, does this
    > communicate with the wireless router or direct to the laptop? Any special
    > settings or is it just plug and play (WP)?

    Jim

    Jim, Dec 30, 2007
  5. Suzy

    Barb Bowman Guest

    If I understand you correctly:

    1. you have to set the WPA password on both the computer AND the
    router

    2. if you buy a wireless print server, you would also need to set
    the same password used on the router and computer. your laptop will
    be able to print and any future computers you add to your network
    will also be able to print to it.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Dec 30, 2007
  6. Suzy

    Suzy Guest

    "Jim" <> wrote in message

    > "Suzy" <not@valid> wrote in message news:...
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I've installed a Belkin Wireless G router, connected it to my NB5 ADSL
    >> modem. Can now use my laptop with inbuilt Atheros wireless card anywhere
    >> in the house. When setting it up I did not connect it by Ethernet to the
    >> laptop. When I set the WPA password, did this set it at the router end
    >> *and* the laptop end (wirelessly)?

    > No. One of the more tedious tasks is getting the WPA keys to match.
    > These strings
    > are encryption keys not passwords.

    Thanks Jim, but the network (of one) works, so how do the parts communicate
    if the encryption key did not get set at both ends simultaneously?

    Suzy, Dec 30, 2007
  7. Suzy

    Suzy Guest

    "Barb Bowman" <> wrote in message
    > If I understand you correctly:
    >
    > 1. you have to set the WPA password on both the computer AND the
    > router

    *** But I have not connected the router by wire to the laptop, yet the
    network works, so how did the password get set at both ends?

    Suzy, Dec 30, 2007
  8. Suzy

    Barb Bowman Guest

    it sounds like you did not set encryption at all OR you are actually
    connecting to someone else's unsecured wireless network.

    did you set up a name for the SSID? what is the name of the network
    you are connected to?

    Barb Bowman, Dec 31, 2007
  9. Suzy

    > it sounds like you did not set encryption at all OR you are actually
    > connecting to someone else's unsecured wireless network.
    >
    > did you set up a name for the SSID? what is the name of the network
    > you are connected to?
    >
    > On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 09:22:37 +1100, "Suzy" <not@valid> wrote:
    >
    >>*** But I have not connected the router by wire to the laptop, yet the
    >>network works, so how did the password get set at both ends?

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS Windows-MVP

    No, I am not connected to any other network. The network is clearly shown as
    mine.

    Suzy, Dec 31, 2007
  10. Suzy

    Barb Bowman Guest

    you need to log into your router and see how the security is setup.
    Please post that information here.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Dec 31, 2007
  11. Suzy

    >>> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

    >>No, I am not connected to any other network. The network is clearly shown
    >>as
    >>mine.
    >>

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS Windows-MVP

    Thanks but problem now over. My son spent over an hour and a half on the
    phone with me and we tried so many things I can't remember them all.
    However, it is working OK now.

    Suzy, Jan 1, 2008
  12. Suzy

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Barb Bowman, Jan 1, 2008
  13. Suzy

    tibi Guest

    i bought a brother mfc-7420 printer/fax/scan and my portable computer does't
    read the supply CD could I do the set-up in line?
    --
    tibi

    tibi, Feb 9, 2008
  14. "tibi" <> wrote in message

    > i bought a brother mfc-7420 printer/fax/scan and my portable computer

    does't
    > read the supply CD could I do the set-up in line?

    1. If you bought this MFC new, get a new CD from the vendor.
    2. You can probably find essential drivers (and perhaps the
    whole software suite) at www.brother.com

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs