Newbie experience on Tesco service

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Bernard, Aug 24, 2006.

  1. Bernard

    Bernard Guest

    The short version... Don't bother ! There are cheaper... much cheaper
    options that are very straightforward to set up and use !!!

    Now for the longer version...
    Not having seriously checked on what voip had to offer, prices and how
    it worked in practice, I thought I'd buy a headset from Tesco to give
    that a try. Getting it set-up and using it was straightforward so,
    having nearly used all the initial credit, I decided to top up online.
    Having entered all my details, their web site failed to respond and
    checking later showed that my credit had not been updated. Sent a mail
    highlighting the problem (unanswered after 6 days) but discovered today
    that they had debited £10 from my account four days after this with the
    credit still not showing on my account !
    Called the helpline this afternoon seeking a refund... Sorry, our
    computers are down, I can't access your account, call back at around 17.00.
    Did that and after 15 minutes explaining the facts... Sorry, I haven't
    got the authority to give you a refund, I'll get a supervisor to call
    you back... Oh no, it's not going to be today !

    You can draw your own conclusion, myself, I've discovered and signed up
    with voipcheap.com, it's straightforward to set up, it works fine, and I
    can call abroad for "free" so I guess that Tesco's failure has had some
    benefit !

    Bernard

    Bernard, Aug 24, 2006

  2. Bernard

    Brian A Guest

    On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 18:33:50 +0100, Bernard <> wrote:

    >The short version... Don't bother ! There are cheaper... much cheaper
    >options that are very straightforward to set up and use !!!

    If you'd come here first we could have told you that saved you the
    bother :)

    >Now for the longer version...
    >Not having seriously checked on what voip had to offer, prices and how
    >it worked in practice, I thought I'd buy a headset from Tesco to give
    >that a try. Getting it set-up and using it was straightforward so,
    >having nearly used all the initial credit, I decided to top up online.
    >Having entered all my details, their web site failed to respond and
    >checking later showed that my credit had not been updated. Sent a mail
    >highlighting the problem (unanswered after 6 days) but discovered today
    >that they had debited £10 from my account four days after this with the
    >credit still not showing on my account !
    >Called the helpline this afternoon seeking a refund... Sorry, our
    >computers are down, I can't access your account, call back at around 17.00.
    >Did that and after 15 minutes explaining the facts... Sorry, I haven't
    >got the authority to give you a refund, I'll get a supervisor to call
    >you back... Oh no, it's not going to be today !
    >
    >You can draw your own conclusion, myself, I've discovered and signed up
    >with voipcheap.com, it's straightforward to set up, it works fine, and I
    >can call abroad for "free" so I guess that Tesco's failure has had some
    >benefit !
    >
    >Bernard

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Aug 24, 2006

  3. Bernard

    sam Guest

    Bernard wrote:
    > The short version... Don't bother ! There are cheaper... much cheaper
    > options that are very straightforward to set up and use !!!
    >

    > Bernard

    Thanks for the advice,Bernard. You have saved me going down
    the same road.

    sam, Aug 24, 2006
  4. Bernard

    Graham Guest

    > If you'd come here first we could have told you that saved you the
    > bother :)

    I'll echo that sentiment!

    It could have been worse though, you could have given your hard-earned to
    that over-hyped-Skype.
    --

    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%

    Graham, Aug 24, 2006
  5. Bernard

    The Invalid Guest

    On 24 Aug 2006 23:15:30 +0200, "Graham" <> wrote:

    >> If you'd come here first we could have told you that saved you the
    >> bother :)

    >I'll echo that sentiment!
    >
    >It could have been worse though, you could have given your hard-earned to
    >that over-hyped-Skype.

    Really? what's the problem with Skype?
    It works fine, much to the annoyance of the techie mob and the credit
    stays on your account.

    The Invalid, Aug 25, 2006
  6. Bernard

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "The Invalid" <> wrote in message
    > On 24 Aug 2006 23:15:30 +0200, "Graham" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > > If you'd come here first we could have told you that
    > > > saved you the bother :)

    > > I'll echo that sentiment!
    > >
    > > It could have been worse though, you could have given
    > > your hard-earned to that over-hyped-Skype.

    > Really? what's the problem with Skype?

    It requires a PC to be on.

    > It works fine, much to the annoyance of the techie mob
    > and the credit stays on your account.

    So does my credit on Sipgate.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 25, 2006
  7. Bernard

    paul123 Guest

    The Invalid wrote:
    > On 24 Aug 2006 23:15:30 +0200, "Graham" <> wrote:
    >
    > >It could have been worse though, you could have given your hard-earned to
    > >that over-hyped-Skype.

    > Really? what's the problem with Skype?

    1) As Ivor says, you need to leave your PC on for it to work.

    2) The other main problem is that, due to its P2P nature, your PC is
    used to relay other peoples calls - not good if your broadband is a
    capped/limited traffic deal. If you then go over your limit, you would
    then have to pay for other callers use of your broadband. I,
    personally, wouldn't be too chuffed about that, if that happened to
    me...... Of course, if you're happy about that, fine.

    3) I'm sure someone else'll come up with a 3rd or 4th reason.

    OK, it's a personal choice, normally I wouldn't use Skype, but the only
    reason I might ever use it would be to call a skype user who didn't
    have a phone number that I could call them on. In that case, I'd fire
    it up for the one call.

    paul123, Aug 25, 2006
  8. Bernard

    Jono Guest

    The Invalid formulated on Friday :
    > Really? what's the problem with Skype?
    > It works fine, much to the annoyance of the techie mob and the credit
    > stays on your account.

    How does that reconcile with the fact that their policy is to steal
    ones credit if a chargeable call is not made over a 6 month period?

    Sipgate credit never expires. I'm almost sure voip.co.uk's never
    expires either.

    Jono, Aug 25, 2006
  9. Bernard

    Bernard Guest

    Jono avait envoye ceci le 25/08/2006 17:59
    > The Invalid formulated on Friday :
    >> Really? what's the problem with Skype?
    >> It works fine, much to the annoyance of the techie mob and the credit
    >> stays on your account.

    > How does that reconcile with the fact that their policy is to steal ones
    > credit if a chargeable call is not made over a 6 month period?
    >
    > Sipgate credit never expires. I'm almost sure voip.co.uk's never expires
    > either.

    "Credit in your VoipCheap balance remains valid for calls for 90 days
    after your last purchase (unless stated otherwise, see for instance
    paybyphone transactions). If you top up your account after or before
    credit expires for calls any old credit left in your account will remain
    valid as well. If you don?t top up your account, credits can only be
    transfered back to you by banktransfer."

    For me, the up to 5Hrs worth of free calls I can make per week to a
    number of destinations (including foreign) and the rates for uk mobiles
    makes up for the 90 days 10 Euros credit. But then again, I'm new to all
    this and I can see that there are a few good deals out there !

    Bernard, Aug 25, 2006
  10. Bernard

    The Invalid Guest

    On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 11:38:44 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >"The Invalid" <> wrote in message

    >> > I'll echo that sentiment!
    >> >
    >> > It could have been worse though, you could have given
    >> > your hard-earned to that over-hyped-Skype.

    >> Really? what's the problem with Skype?

    >It requires a PC to be on.

    Wrong

    >> It works fine, much to the annoyance of the techie mob
    >> and the credit stays on your account.

    >So does my credit on Sipgate.

    And ? and ????????

    The Invalid, Aug 27, 2006
  11. Bernard

    The Invalid Guest

    On 25 Aug 2006 04:12:17 -0700, "paul123" <> wrote:

    >The Invalid wrote:
    >> On 24 Aug 2006 23:15:30 +0200, "Graham" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >It could have been worse though, you could have given your hard-earned to
    >> >that over-hyped-Skype.

    >> Really? what's the problem with Skype?

    >1) As Ivor says, you need to leave your PC on for it to work.

    Not now

    >2) The other main problem is that, due to its P2P nature, your PC is
    >used to relay other peoples calls - not good if your broadband is a
    >capped/limited traffic deal. If you then go over your limit, you would
    >then have to pay for other callers use of your broadband. I,
    >personally, wouldn't be too chuffed about that, if that happened to
    >me...... Of course, if you're happy about that, fine.
    >
    >3) I'm sure someone else'll come up with a 3rd or 4th reason.
    >
    >OK, it's a personal choice, normally I wouldn't use Skype, but the only
    >reason I might ever use it would be to call a skype user who didn't
    >have a phone number that I could call them on. In that case, I'd fire
    >it up for the one call.

    I fire it up to talk to friends in OZ and France and the quality far
    surpasses the BT call

    The Invalid, Aug 27, 2006
  12. Bernard

    The Invalid Guest

    On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 17:59:38 +0100, Jono
    <> wrote:

    >The Invalid formulated on Friday :
    >> Really? what's the problem with Skype?
    >> It works fine, much to the annoyance of the techie mob and the credit
    >> stays on your account.

    >How does that reconcile with the fact that their policy is to steal
    >ones credit if a chargeable call is not made over a 6 month period?

    I haven't made a chargeable call in 6 months and my credit is still
    there

    >Sipgate credit never expires. I'm almost sure voip.co.uk's never
    >expires either.

    Yep but sipgates crap

    (now sits back and waits for all the Nerds to pipe up)

    Bovered ??

    The Invalid, Aug 27, 2006
  13. Bernard

    paul123 Guest

    The Invalid wrote:
    > On 25 Aug 2006 04:12:17 -0700, "paul123" <> wrote:
    >

    > >The Invalid wrote:

    > >> Really? what's the problem with Skype?

    > >1) As Ivor says, you need to leave your PC on for it to work.

    > Not now

    Not now? How do you use Skype without a PC?

    paul123, Aug 27, 2006
  14. Bernard

    > On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 11:38:44 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > "The Invalid" <> wrote in message

    > > > Really? what's the problem with Skype?

    > > It requires a PC to be on.

    > Wrong

    Ok, it requires a PC to be on most of the time. I believe you can use it
    on a PDA, but you can't use it with a normal ATA plugged into a router. Go
    on, tell me I'm wrong on that one. But if you do, tell me why and with a
    detailed explanation, don't say "wrong" with nothing else. Otherwise I'm
    not likely to believe you.

    > > > It works fine, much to the annoyance of the techie mob
    > > > and the credit stays on your account.

    > > So does my credit on Sipgate.

    > And ? and ????????

    And my credit doesn't expire on Sipgate. What did you think I meant..?

    BTW Skype credit can and has been deleted from an account if it's not been
    used in a certain time. I know because it happened to me, and is one of
    the reasons (apart from above) why I don't use it any more.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 27, 2006
  15. Bernard

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "paul123" <> wrote in message
    > The Invalid wrote:
    > > On 25 Aug 2006 04:12:17 -0700, "paul123"
    > > <> wrote:

    > > > 1) As Ivor says, you need to leave your PC on for it
    > > > to work.

    > > Not now

    > Not now? How do you use Skype without a PC?

    It's possible to use it with a PDA (I've seen it done) and I understand
    that there are now Wi-Fi phones that are Skype-capable, but for the most
    part a PC is required. Certainly it can't be used with a normal ATA
    plugged into a router.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 27, 2006
  16. Thus spaketh Bernard:
    > Jono avait envoye ceci le 25/08/2006 17:59
    >> The Invalid formulated on Friday :
    >>> Really? what's the problem with Skype?
    >>> It works fine, much to the annoyance of the techie mob and the
    >>> credit stays on your account.

    >> How does that reconcile with the fact that their policy is to steal
    >> ones credit if a chargeable call is not made over a 6 month period?
    >>
    >> Sipgate credit never expires. I'm almost sure voip.co.uk's never
    >> expires either.
    >>

    > "Credit in your VoipCheap balance remains valid for calls for 90 days
    > after your last purchase (unless stated otherwise, see for instance
    > paybyphone transactions). If you top up your account after or before
    > credit expires for calls any old credit left in your account will
    > remain valid as well. If you don?t top up your account, credits can
    > only be transfered back to you by banktransfer."
    >
    > For me, the up to 5Hrs worth of free calls I can make per week to a
    > number of destinations (including foreign) and the rates for uk
    > mobiles makes up for the 90 days 10 Euros credit. But then again, I'm
    > new to all this and I can see that there are a few good deals out
    > there !

    I use VoipStunt, the same ¤10 (Ten Euro) lasts 120 days.

    Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Aug 27, 2006
  17. Thus spaketh The Invalid:
    > On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 17:59:38 +0100, Jono
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> The Invalid formulated on Friday :
    >>> Really? what's the problem with Skype?
    >>> It works fine, much to the annoyance of the techie mob and the
    >>> credit stays on your account.

    >> How does that reconcile with the fact that their policy is to steal
    >> ones credit if a chargeable call is not made over a 6 month period?

    > I haven't made a chargeable call in 6 months and my credit is still
    > there
    >

    >> Sipgate credit never expires. I'm almost sure voip.co.uk's never
    >> expires either.
    >>

    > Yep but sipgates crap

    In what way?

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Aug 27, 2006
  18. Bernard

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "The Invalid" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 17:59:38 +0100, Jono
    > <> wrote:

    [snip]

    > > Sipgate credit never expires. I'm almost sure
    > > voip.co.uk's never expires either.
    > >

    > Yep but sipgates crap

    Oooh, an anti-Sipgate rant. We haven't had one of those for a while now,
    it must be about time..!

    Do tell us why you think they're crap..?

    > (now sits back and waits for all the Nerds to pipe up)
    >
    > Bovered ??

    I can't find "bovered" in my dictionary, what does it mean..?

    BTW are you related to someone who calls himself Dexter..? We haven't seen
    him for a while, are you out there, Ron..?!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 27, 2006
  19. Bernard

    Jono Guest

    It happens that Ivor Jones formulated :

    > "The Invalid" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 17:59:38 +0100, Jono
    >> <> wrote:

    > [snip]
    >
    >> > Sipgate credit never expires. I'm almost sure
    >> > voip.co.uk's never expires either.
    >> >

    >> Yep but sipgates crap

    > Oooh, an anti-Sipgate rant. We haven't had one of those for a while now, it
    > must be about time..!
    >
    > Do tell us why you think they're crap..?
    >
    >> (now sits back and waits for all the Nerds to pipe up)
    >>
    >> Bovered ??

    > I can't find "bovered" in my dictionary, what does it mean..?
    >
    > BTW are you related to someone who calls himself Dexter..? We haven't seen
    > him for a while, are you out there, Ron..?!
    >

    > Ivor

    For a moment, I thought they might be one & the same, however, they
    spell different things badly.

    Jono, Aug 27, 2006
  20. Bernard

    paul123 Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:
    > "paul123" <> wrote in message
    > > The Invalid wrote:

    > > > Not now

    > > Not now? How do you use Skype without a PC?

    > It's possible to use it with a PDA (I've seen it done) and I understand
    > that there are now Wi-Fi phones that are Skype-capable, but for the most
    > part a PC is required. Certainly it can't be used with a normal ATA
    > plugged into a router.

    Oh I see. Cheers. Still not going to use it though :)

    paul123, Aug 27, 2006