Newbie DVD help!!! MP3's, DIVX, XVID, and Long File Names

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by stever, Sep 15, 2005.

  1. stever

    stever Guest

    I'm finally ready to move up to a DVD burner from my CDR one and
    here's what I'd like to do.
    I'm going to be getting a HTIB, Onkyo HTS 770, or similar and I'd like
    to get on dvd player like the Phillips DVP642 that does DVIX, XVID and
    other MPEG4 compression formats as well as MP3s.
    So my problem is getting the data, mp3's and divx's, off my hard drive
    in my computer room and out to my home theater system in the living
    room.
    My current PC is getting a little old so my ideal scenario would be to
    somehow integrate it with my living room home entertainment system..ie
    the TV, HTIB, and DVD player...and use a wireless keyboard and mouse
    and build a new system for my computer room that's connected to the pc
    in the living room with a high speed cat5 or wireless LAN connection.
    Another plus to this would be to throw a capture/tuner card into the
    PCI bus to do TIVO type stuff plus I could surf the web from the
    living room.
    Anyone done anything like this? Is there a prefered TV type that's
    best for using as monitor from 7 to 15 feet away and still be able to
    read the text?

    My second option is to just get a dvd burner and burn mp3's and divx's
    to disc and play them on my system in the living room.
    Questions:
    1:) What's the scoop on long file names for both the burning process
    as well as the players ability to read them? Some of my mp3's have
    file names between 64 and 128 characters. Will I run into any problems
    here?

    2:) What about Playlists?? When I'm listening to my mp3's I don't what
    to have to select each song..will a dvd player like the phillip dvp642
    do m3u playlist files or play all the files in a given directory
    without selecting each one?

    3.) A lot of my mp3 were done with VBR sampling...will my living room
    player handle this type on encloding or does it have to be at a set
    rate like 128 or 192kbps?

    tia
    stever
    stever, Sep 15, 2005