    disk. Is this common or is it because my DVD Drive (non-burner) is an older
    drive (about 3 years old or so).
    Thanks for any information.

    Steven Wandy, Oct 4, 2004

  2. "Steven Wandy" <> wrote in message
    news:%A28d.3556$...
    > I just got a DVD (Pioneer) Burner after using CDR burners for years. I am
    > using them basically to store image files from scans and digital cameras.
    > I use Nero to burn the DVD-R's and have noticed a problem. When I burn a
    > Multi Session DVD-R, the DVD Burner can see all the sessions. My

    non-burner
    > DVD Drive (Windows XP) can only see the first session even if I finalize

    the
    > disk. Is this common or is it because my DVD Drive (non-burner) is an

    older
    > drive (about 3 years old or so).
    > Thanks for any information.

    The DVD specification does not officially support multi-session disks. I am
    not sure whether it is specifically unmentioned or the specification is just
    ambiguous. The fact that your burner can see the second and subsequent
    sessions is not unknown. Nero (and Easy CD Creator) will both burn
    subsequent sssions. The DVD burners will happily burn the second session
    but then most will be unable to read them. For full compatibility, avoid
    multisession DVDs

    For burning occasional files a little at a time, DVD-RAM would have been a
    better option, but there aren't many DVD burners that support them*. You
    could use a DVD-RW or a DVD+RW (the latter prefered), formatted into packet
    mode using InCD, but packet writing can be unreliable, with corrupted disks
    sometimes resulting.

    * But check out the LG GCA-4120B which does - and you get change out of £60.

    Ian.

    Electric Fan Club, Oct 4, 2004