    Can someone lead me thru the steps to achieve my goal?
    TIA
    Walt

    Walter, Dec 8, 2003

  2. Walter

    dave Guest

    Walter wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I've never attempted DBing before and need a little advice.
    > I've got 2 HDDs, 4.3Gb and 20Gb that I wish to install into pc. I know about
    > jumper settings and position on cable, Master/Slave etc.
    > I want to run ME (or 98se haven't decided yet) on the smaller drive and
    > XPpro(NTFS) on the larger. The reason for this is that my son has games
    > that will not, as they weren't designed to, run on XP. Using *Compatibility
    > Mode* doesn't make any difference
    > He doesn't need anything else other than to play these games, he's only a
    > toddler, he doesn't need access to any of my files or programs.
    > I have read articles explaining DBing but they have only dealt with both OSs
    > on the same drive albeit partitioned.
    >
    > Can someone lead me thru the steps to achieve my goal?
    > TIA
    > Walt

    Well, here goes....From memory of course...I've ditched Windblows
    almost 4 years now for something a little more superior
    now.

    1/. Make sure your BIOS permits floppy boot, and CD Rom Boot.

    2 /. Take your Windows 98SE disk, and create a floppy boot disk.

    3 /. Decide if your going with Windows 98 SE or ME.

    4/. Back-up what important data from the computer you would
    like to keep, and what new driver updates you still have
    lying around those hard-drives.

    [ Driver updates, free software, bookmarks, text files,
    resumes, your wife's cooking recipes, and anything else
    you can think of that you got off the net. ]

    [ Better yet, burn them to a CD-ROM, and then test to
    ensure you can unzip them. This then helps you
    re-install the newer drivers faster, and the write to
    CD-ROM worked. ]

    5/. Take the Win 98SE floppy disk, and re format the small
    drive [ C: drive I'm assuming] and then install
    Windows 98SE or the Windows ME on it.

    6/. After you finish loading the Windows 98 OS, then grab your
    Windows XP disk, and reboot to BIOS.

    7/. Make sure you can now CD ROM Boot;

    8/. Windows XP will then ask where to partition. Partition the
    large drive [ D: drive I'm assuming]. Install only to the
    second disk, and format the drive with NTFS.

    9/. Windows XP will ask your for your boot preferences.
    Select dual boot option, but that Windows 98 gets Priority
    on boot.

    10/. Done [ as like in dinner ]

    11/. Your install time will vary. Depending on speed of
    computer and hard drive, and where you remembered you
    stored all those driver disks, installing the OS should
    not take you more than around 45 minutes for 98/ME,
    30 minutes for XP.

    If you are a coffee drinker, then make a pot,
    If you are a tea drinker, boil a kettle full,
    or if you are from British Columbia Canada, light a
    fat one up :)

    12/. Hey, this is easy. Just try doing a triple boot
    with Linux or OpenBSD :)
    I had to use GRUB

    dave, Dec 8, 2003

  3. Walter

    Chris E Guest

    This doens't sound like an issue to you, but remember that if you use NTFS
    on the XP partition, then each OS will not know the other exists and you
    will not be able to access the other OS' files.
    Also, use 98SE. ME is nothing but problems.

    Chris
    A+, Net+

    Chris E, Dec 15, 2003